BBO Discussion Forums: When I didn't know what to bid because I was too strong - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When I didn't know what to bid because I was too strong

#1 User is offline   trolley813 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-28, 00:58

Well, this is not only the strongest hand I've ever played, but even the strongest one I've ever seen, with whopping 29 (twenty-nine) HCPs.

So, I really don't know how to bid that properly. This is what I tried:
S: 2 (strong, artificial, showing 20+ HCP)
N: 2 (0 aces)
S: 3 (strong hearts)
N: 3NT (no heart support)
S: 5NT (this will probably make even if North has 0 HCPs, "pick a slam"-like)
N: 6
S: Pass (fit in diamonds, but I was afraid to bid 7)

So, it ended up in 6+1, 940 points with a good MP result of 87% (however, some people managed to get 6NT for 990). Interestingly that many Souths (they too were beginner players, just like me) bid 1 and this was passed out, ending up in something awkward like 1+5 (or +4).

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-28, 02:46

You did well, but the sad news is that you'll probably never hold such a strong hand again :)

No-one knows how to bid these hands, but creating a game-forcing auction and showing as much of your hand as possible without allowing partner to pass too soon is key. You do not need to shoot for tops with these hands, just get a sensible result and your score will be determined by how you do on the more mundane hands.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-28, 03:04

You got to the right spot, 6 can make when hearts are not 3-3 or they are and the spade finesse fails, or possibly if the diamonds are 4-1 where 6N is poor.

Hands with hearts are bad for the 2 opener as your strongest bid.

We would bid 2-2-2-2-3-5-6

Where 2 is FG unless balanced, 2 negative, 2 is hearts or balanced, 2 is pretty much forced, 3 diamonds shows 5+/4+ and 5 is weaker than 4.

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-28, 16:31

Its kind of amusing. I put this hand into various bridge software and different bidding systems. Some ended in 7Diamonds, some in 6NT, some in 7NT, and one (unnamed) tragically stopped in 3 diamonds :)

I was thinking about how I would approach it and I doubt I would start the bidding below game or even 6NT

At least if you played a regular game force you would at least need the wherewithall to overule partner's double negative :)

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-29, 01:12

View Postthepossum, on 2020-October-28, 16:31, said:

Its kind of amusing. I put this hand into various bridge software and different bidding systems. Some ended in 7Diamonds, some in 6NT, some in 7NT, and one (unnamed) tragically stopped in 3 diamonds :)

I was thinking about how I would approach it and I doubt I would start the bidding below game or even 6NT

At least if you played a regular game force you would at least need the wherewithall to overule partner's double negative :)

Do people really still play double negatives? Or are you referring to Roth?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users