BBO Discussion Forums: Three Coins in the fountain - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Three Coins in the fountain Triple travails with tricks.

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-12, 23:04

6NT. The perfect matchpoints contract. Obviously.
Here are three in a row that I bid in the last three days. The first one I looked at on the teaching table and immediately saw the mistake. I was so happy that I made the same mistake the next day.
The third one came up a few moments ago at the (online) club (Stepbridge) and was a somewhat different problem.
The first two are from robot tourneys and I managed 6NT-1 making the same error.

Number 1.
A nice flat hand, I'd be interested to hear what others would do.
10 led

Number 2.
An almost identical problem, This time I went for a Soloway Jump shift.
6 led

After messing up number 1 I remembered how to do it this time and then had a senior moment and lost the plot. Everyone made it but me.

Number 3.
Stepbridge is hosted on a Dutch server so the 10's are T's.
Everyone here was in 6. My partner and I play a version of Standard Australian with a tinge of Gaelic. It's melis. You can imagine how that works out most of the time.
2 For sure I have a strong hand boyo.
2 Really, tell me more mate.
3NT I can definitely make game.
long pause - thinks - couldn't you have slowed it down a bit? OK
4 transfer to hearts - I wonder if he'll pick it?
4NT - nope he's determined.
6NT pass pass pass.
Bridge in Australia.
7 led

In one variation I reached this ending.
It sort of had a flavour of a squeeze, but not quite...
With North on lead to make the last four tricks.

Non legit hoc

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-November-13, 11:06

pilowsky '6NT. The perfect matchpoints contract. Obviously. Here are three in a row that I bid in the last three days. The first one I looked at on the teaching table and immediately saw the mistake. I was so happy that I made the same mistake the next day. The third one came up a few moments ago at the (online) club (Stepbridge) and was a somewhat different problem.The first two are from robot tourneys and I managed 6NT-1 making the same error. Number 1. A nice flat hand,. Lead DT. I'd be interested to hear what others do
++++++++++++++++++++
6/7 is a better contract. The best hope in 6NT is to duck a . Pilowsky is well aware of both these facts :(
pilowsky 'Number 2. An almost identical problem, This time I went for a Soloway Jump shift.6 led. After messing up number 1 I remembered how to do it this time and then had a senior moment and lost the plot. Everyone made it but me.
++++++++++++++++++++
Again, s are the best hope. Declarer might finesse 9, first. Making when RHO has either K tripleton or JTx :)
pilowsky 'Number 3. Stepbridge is hosted on a Dutch server so the 10's are T's.Everyone here was in 6. My partner and I play a version of Standard Australian with a tinge of Gaelic. It's melis. You can imagine how that works out most of the time.2 For sure I have a strong hand boyo.2 Really, tell me more mate.3NT I can definitely make game.long pause - thinks - couldn't you have slowed it down a bit? OK4 transfer to hearts - I wonder if he'll pick it?4NT - nope he's determined.6NT pass pass pass.Bridge in Australia.7 ledIn one variation I reached this ending.It sort of had a flavour of a squeeze, but not quite...
+++++++++++++++++++++
6 is cold :( but If Pilowsky had followed up partner's scientific auction with a 1st round finesse of T, then he might have merited a bridgewinners' topic devoted to his efforts :)

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-November-13, 13:23

Number 1: If I were declaring, I'd win the lead and play K and duck, hoping for a 3-3 break, if the suit does break, that gets me to 12 tricks. If the suit doesn't break, I'd cash AK and all the diamonds ending in the North hand, and pay attention to the defender's discards. If the master heart or the Q hasn't appeared, cash the clubs from the top and hope the lowly 2 is promoted. On the actual layout I wouldn't have to go for the squeeze.

Number 2 is similar. Take the heart finesse, if it works duck a heart. Get back in, cash the ace, if they are 3-3 claim. If not, it looks like there are squeeze chances on the run of the clubs. With the hearts 3-3 and the king onside again, no need to go for a squeeze.

Number 3: If you are going to treat that as balanced, 2NT is sufficient showing 23-24 HCP. Otherwise, why not bid your five card heart suit? In the event you have three of the opponent's honor cards sitting perfectly so any finesse you take for the 12th trick will work.

This is just like people who punt slams against me and make on a hook or when I find an unfortunate lead.

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-November-13, 14:00

OK pilowsky, you've got me. How did you go down on numbers 1 and 2? You got 3-3 breaks in both and a winning finesse in 2. Did you try for a non-existent squeeze?

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 16:03

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-November-13, 14:00, said:

OK pilowsky, you've got me. How did you go down on numbers 1 and 2? You got 3-3 breaks in both and a winning finesse in 2. Did you try for a non-existent squeeze?

It's pathetic, I miscounted the first time, realised what I'd done wrong, remembered the next day, and like an idiot did exactly the same thing. Cursing myself as I fell to earth. It is as you know about a 40% chance. Bridgemaster taught me this one. I suppose I'm putting it here as penance. Posted Image.
Non legit hoc

#6 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-November-14, 15:00

Oh well, if it wasn't for the stuff that goes wrong, we wouldn't enjoy the successes half as much...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users