Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nicknames for hand shapes?

#1 User is offline   jlturner5 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-02, 21:03

I am interested in finding a comprehensive list of nicknames or slang terms for different hand shapes. It seems like knowing these could be useful for learning how to bid different hand shapes and discussing them with partner. I've seen 4441 called "rattlesnake," 7222 called "death," and 7411 called "swan." Are there other nicknames out there?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-February-03, 01:41

jlturner5, on 2021-February-02, 21:03, said:

I am interested in finding a comprehensive list of nicknames or slang terms for different hand shapes. It seems like knowing these could be useful for learning how to bid different hand shapes and discussing them with partner. I've seen 4441 called "rattlesnake," 7222 called "death," and 7411 called "swan." Are there other nicknames out there?

Based on the convention that ...
  • | = vertical bar = hand.
  • D = Half-circle = suit in balanced hand
  • - = Horiontal bar = suit in unbalanced hand.

You can derive mnemonic terms for basic shapes e.g.
  • P = Pudding = 4333.
  • D = Dull = 5332
  • E = Empty = 4441.
  • R = Roman = 54xy.
  • F = Freak = 55xy.
  • L = Long = 6xyz.

Refined for more extreme shapes e.g.

ER = Empty Roman = 5440
LR = Long Roman = 64xy
LF = Long Freak = 65xy

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-03, 03:02

I have heard that 4333 is a pancake, because it's as flat a distribution as you can get. I have also heard the three that you mentioned - the rattlesnake, swan, and death. I also thought Roman was specifically a 5440 hand (since Rattlesnake hands are 4441).
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-February-03, 03:22

In Norway we use 'rund hånd' (lit. 'round hand') as a synonym for 'balansert hånd' ('balanced hand') and 'trillrund hånd' (lit. 'roll-round hand' (a hand so round it can be rolled)) to suggest a hand with (4333) shape.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-03, 09:18

I once "translated" a set of Swedish system notes, because I was interested. The one thing I couldn't work out from context and a quick English translation of the opening bids was "marmic". Turns out, because of the focus on this hand of a system called Marmic, it referred to 4441s. I've used it (in my head) ever since. Sometimes I forget it's not a North American idiom and use it IRL, to a lot of blank stares. But eventually there will be a Swedish bridge player in the conversation, who will also be blank-staring, but in "how do you know about that?" mode.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users