Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Online vs face to face

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-20, 08:32

Do you find you make more or less mistakes playing online as against face to face, and are they the same mistakes ?

I'm being driven mad by making the "muddled thinking" or concentration type mistakes which I usually avoid face to face. I've made 5 in 2 sessions which is normally several months worth, maybe a year's.

I'm really not sure what to do about it, example from my last set (matchpoints).

W leads the K, you've noticed EW don't signal much, E plays low, you win the ace, ruff a heart and play a diamond, E wins the K and plays a club, you win on the table, play off Q which holds, play a diamond to the Q, and ruff your last heart, surprisingly overruffed by E, who now leads a diamond, what now ?

W appears to be 2722 or 1723 or 1732, what do you think is the best bet ?

#2 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-February-21, 03:30

As I'm not top class I try to allow myself a couple of errors per session anyway Posted Image but yes, I find it harder to clear my head and focus. After years of seeing and holding cards there is an intuitive element that you lose with a screen because it's not an immersive experience. I find it harder to assimilate new information during the play of a hand.

#3 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-21, 11:15

I make more mistakes online, in part because being in front of a computer puts me in the mindset of computer games from earlier days where you could reload if you screwed up.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-February-21, 12:18

When I play against really good opps, in real life, it’s easy to get ‘up’ for the game. I’m pumped and (usually) focused.

When I play on bbo, the opps are just nicks, even when I ‘know’ them to be really good. I have trouble even getting into the same mindset.

I play with two really good partners. Yesterday, one pooched a defence and later confessed that he hadn’t paid attention to my carding, which had drawn a clear roadmap. And the other went down in a cold game in another session last night by not counting his tricks. I’m not picking on them...I let a game through the previous week by not paying attention to partner’s carding.

I’ve played a lot of face to face bridge with each of them, and these errors were very much out of character.

The three of us are still capable of playing good bridge....it’s just that we seem to have more trouble sustaining focus online than in real life.

At least we can rest comfortably that any analysis of our online bridge will show that we are not cheating, lol.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-February-21, 15:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-February-20, 08:32, said:

Do you find you make more or less mistakes playing online as against face to face, and are they the same mistakes ?

I make fewer, partly because certain types of mistake are impossible, like revoking because my brain has skipped ahead to the next trick.

I have Aspergers and am very easily distracted. When I'm playing online I can have music on (to focus part of my mind) and take little mental breaks from the game when I'm dummy, usually reading webstrips. Food and drink is nearby, and I don't have to squeeze between tables.

In FTF, I have to deal with movement in my line of vision, rooms that are too warm, perfume/cologne/deodorant/Axe products, the stench of smokers returning from their between-rounds puff, extraneous noise, filtering out UA from partner's body language, fluorescent lighting, people that I absolutely loathe who should have been barred from the ACBL, let alone the club, before I started playing a decade ago, their supporters who also berate their spouses at the table...

The profanity filter also helps. :D

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-February-27, 05:18

It is hard to say. I'm getting equally crap results online as I did in the physical club, so I guess that means I am playing just as well or as badly. I think it is harder to fully focus in front of a screen because when I am trying to work out the layout, I stare hard at the cards whilst doing so. Doing that in front of a screen can give me a headache so I try to avoid doing it, which may result in a reduction in working things out.

I do know that if the club went online permanently and never re-opened its premesis, I would resign.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-27, 08:08

I too think it is hard to say. The whole experience is very different and I rarely play with my f2f partners online, which does not help comparison.

I'm nowhere near mikeh's level, but I do share with him the ability to move up a few gears when sitting down opposite the best opponents: there isn't the same adrenaline online, and I miss both the feeling itself and the elation that goes with getting a good result against them. OTOH against unknown psychologically aggressive opponents I will occasionally panic and play nonsense during f2f and that never happens online.

I find it easier to remember the remaining cards online, especially with the BBO hand diagram mode. But I also find it easier to misinterpret the auction and harder to remember the auction during play (although one can usually peek).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users