BBO Discussion Forums: BBO - struggling with first impressions - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO - struggling with first impressions

#1 User is offline   Whisty709 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-23, 17:35

I got to say, I am struggling with BBO. Perhaps some fine folks can offer me some guidance; and perhaps even refer to past similar discussions.

• How do I create or find/join Chicago tables? (4 rounds, that's it.)
  • How do I create or find/join tables of the same skill level?
  • I find a table that has an empty seat, it says "Sit!". So I do and without even doing anything everyone else leaves? Why?
  • The chat lobby? I see people posting stuff, but I can't see anything that resembles a conversation, and when I post a message nothing shows up, and no one responds. Why? Are there browser capability issues?
  • My account profile says "Compatibility ***** (5 stars). What does that mean?
  • When I create a table how do I show the convention card I wish to have used?

Hate to start my first post with a negative tone, but honestly the BBO site seems like its from the 1990s; way overdue for an overhaul. Really hoping some folks can help me sort through a few things so I can enjoy BBO and keep returning.

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-23, 22:35

Welcome to the forum.
Judging from your 'handle' Bridge could be as new to you as it is to me!

It took me about a year to get used to (just a few) of the mysteries of BBO. It was worth the effort.
I suggest you browse the internet for the many helpful videos on how to use the platform.

When I started it was as baffling as turning up to an Italian railway station and being unable to find the place to buy a ticket. Don't get me started on the choice of bathrooms.

Like the Italian (railway) platform, all computer interfaces have their secrets that take a while to unravel.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 00:02

View PostWhisty709, on 2021-February-23, 17:35, said:

[*]How do I create or find/join Chicago tables? (4 rounds, that's it.)

I'm afraid you can't, at least not properly. Rubber bridge is very old-fashioned and rarely played these days, in favor of duplicate - BBO did offer it many many years ago, but given how few played it, it wasn't included when they updated their software.

If you have three friends online, you can theoretically play it by starting a total points table and scoring it manually - but it's not an inbuilt option.

[*]The chat lobby? I see people posting stuff, but I can't see anything that resembles a conversation, and when I post a message nothing shows up, and no one responds. Why? Are there browser capability issues?

The lobby is rarely used - under Account - Settings there is an option to show lobby chat, but most would have it disabled. Lobby chat was normally a case of players accidentally talking to the lobby when they meant to talk to just their own table anyway.

[*] My account profile says "Compatibility ***** (5 stars). What does that mean?

If you google "compatibility site:bridgebase.com/forums/" you'll see a heap of threads about compatibility. The intention is for it to be important when viewing someone *else's* profile; it just so happens that it also shows when you view your own, so you're 100% compatible with yourself. But I've never found any meaning or use for the compatbility stars.

[*] When I create a table how do I show the convention card I wish to have used?

BBO only supports convention cards for *pairs*. Under Account - Convention Cards you can add a new card and the name of your partner, and it will automatically provide it to your opponents any time you're seated with that partner. However, it's not possible to post personal convention cards.

Most players fill in their profile field (Account - Profile) with some details of what they play. But if a random player shows up, there's no guarantee they'll look at your profile. Most people will probably assume some form of SAYC by default; if you play something else it's probably something you want to confirm with them in chat.

[*]How do I create or find/join tables of the same skill level?
[*]I find a table that has an empty seat, it says "Sit!". So I do and without even doing anything everyone else leaves? Why?

There's no real way to separate skill level other than trial and error (though you may find the Relaxed Bridge Club more laid back than the Main Bridge Club). There are a huge range of players who play 'pick-up' games on BBO. You'll find people who self-designate as 'Experts' who make beginner-level mistakes. You'll find some who get annoyed if you take more than a few seconds to make a decision; some that boot you immediately or leave if you make a play they disagree with. Or people may just leave because the phone rang, or they're bored, or who knows.

But you'll also find players who are friendly and play similar systems to you. You can mark these as friends and arrange to play together again. It will take some time and effort to build up relationships, but it is worth it.

#4 User is offline   Whisty709 

• Pip

Posted 2021-February-25, 17:40

Well in that case then BBO is pretty much 'dead on arrival' for me then. Chicago (4-play) is awesome, and I want to play with people of my skill level more-or-less. The site overall is really like something from 1997. I'll try to keep using it and make a few friend and hopefully it will grow on me, but I will say Trickstercards is already amazing. I still don't have the ability to play my skill level, but the ability to create various flavours of Chicago and Rubber tables, invite friends via Twitter, email, etc with a passcode is pretty darn slick and the graphics are simply awesome.

And I'm really now liking people leaving the table when I join. If you are waiting for specific folks then reserve your tables!

Anyway I will keep using it, I really hope it grows on me.

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-25, 18:36

View PostWhisty709, on 2021-February-25, 17:40, said:

And I'm really now liking people leaving the table when I join. If you are waiting for specific folks then reserve your tables!

That's unlikely to be the case. If they are waiting for someone specific the table host has the ability to simply remove you from the seat. It's more likely that there is a spare seat because their game has just finished and they are in the process of leaving. This happens to us a lot - we reserve seats at the start, but that no longer seems to be in effect when someone leaves. It's an unfortunate behaviour of the system, but likely to not be personal.

#6 User is offline   Whisty709 

• Pip

Posted 2021-February-27, 14:46

Perhaps I am being too harsh. And perhaps BBO is growing on me. :) The free instant (solitaire) tournament seems to be a decent way to learn. Can review the hands afterwards. And there is a Bridge4 game;that really needs to be available as public tables.

#7 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-27, 17:51

View PostWhisty709, on 2021-February-25, 17:40, said:

Chicago (4-play) is awesome

All tourneys are "chicago" in vul/dealer assignments. You can get permission to start a "tourney"
Try setting boards in multiples of 4 & limit players to 4! Individuals or in pairs.
You can limit who can enter, friends, or on a list.
For guidance see http://Bit.Ly/GlobalClubDirecting &
https://blog.bridgeb...manager-manual/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users