BBO Discussion Forums: Support for partner in both majors- slam or not - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Support for partner in both majors- slam or not 3 card support for both partners- how to proceed

#1 User is offline   arunodoysa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 11:14

Hello Everyone!

I got an interesting hand during play.

(N was dealer, and no sides vulnerable for this game)

N opened 1H and S bid 1S (although they play 2/1 Game force, they prefer to bid a 5 card higher major first (in this case they have a fall back option for H in South's hand of course)

N rebid 1NT

Now what should be a good bidding sequence? Should S follow XYZ convention here? If he follows XYZ, should he bid 2d for game force or 3H to show 3 card support and some slam interest?

If any other convention is good, please mention that :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Arunodoy

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 11:36

North has shown a balanced minimum with 5 hearts, I think South is not worth a slam try opposite such a hand. Regardless I would bid 2 (2Way checkback/XYZ), investigating 3NT, 4 and 4. You could optionally blast to 4 to not give the opponents unnecessary information.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 14:10

my bidding sequence with 2/1. north passes 11 count with 1 and 1/2 honour tricks and 5332, south opens 1NT, north bids 2 (transfer), 2, 3NT, 4.

why anyone want to be in slam here? 4 might not be available if breaks bad.

#4 User is offline   arunodoysa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 22:22

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-March-29, 11:36, said:

North has shown a balanced minimum with 5 hearts, I think South is not worth a slam try opposite such a hand. Regardless I would bid 2 (2Way checkback/XYZ), investigating 3NT, 4 and 4. You could optionally blast to 4 to not give the opponents unnecessary information.

Thanks a lot for the reply. After 2 from South, should N bid 2 to show support of 3 cards for the above case and so on?
And if N did not have 3 card in spades, what should he bid with 5 card hearts?

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 00:38

View Postarunodoysa, on 2021-March-29, 22:22, said:

And if N did not have 3 card in spades, what should he bid with 5 card hearts?

2H to save space, or 2NT with reasonable stoppers in both minors. After all, you already said you had a 12-14 5332 hand. And you’ll be playing NT contracts anyway. Time to say if your hand is really notrumpy or less.

xx
QJTxx
AQx
KJx

vs.

Qx
KQJxx
Jxx
Axx

In all cases, a flat 16 when partner rebids 1NT will rarely produce slam.

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 04:23

Slam looks unlikely opposite a weak NT. Anyone who does not seriously consider:

1H - 1S
1NT - 4H

is overthinking the hand.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-05, 13:54

Let's overthink the hand a bit. This is NOT a humdrum hand. If opener has AQx AQxxx (xx xxx) I WANT very badly to be in this slam. P having this concoction when they rebid 1n is highly unlikely but hardly impossible. I would go slow, bid whatever we use for checkback (here is would be 2d xyz). Then rebid 4h over their 2s bid. This is a mild slam try asking for pretty much exactly what opener (in my theoretical hand above) has to bid slam (else pass). With only 4 spades I would NOT overthink the hand and I would bid 4h over 1n since the odds of slam drop tremendously with no side 5 card suit and a fit. If perchance opener has something like Axx Axxxx (Kx Kxx) this might also be a reasonable hand for slam but those kings may not be worth full value vs queens in the long suits so as opener I would bid 5h over 4h to show the 14 count full of controls and let responder decide.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users