• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smallest lie

#21 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-April-08, 21:02

I used to believe as Mikeh and others who have played a long time but Justin Lall absolutely convinced me that the best bid is 1nt - see , old dogs can learn.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#22 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-April-09, 08:37

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-April-08, 21:02, said:

I used to believe as Mikeh and others who have played a long time but Justin Lall absolutely convinced me that the best bid is 1nt - see , old dogs can learn.

I was, also, persuaded by Justin that the 1N rebid could reasonably be played as including a singleton in responder’s suit, but it’s important, in my opinion, that the partnership agree on this and decide how this is to affect responder’s second call when holding no game interest and a 5 card major.

There are hands on which I think responder should pass even a traditional 1N rebid even with a 5 card major.

Say partner opened 1D and rebid 1N over our 1S response

With Jxxxx Kxx Qx Axx, where I have no game interest opposite a weak 1N hand, I pass. My spades are weak, I have help everywhere and we rate to survive in 1N even if he has 3 card support.meanwhile, if he has only xx in spades 2S will often be a disaster.

But KJ10xx xx xx Qxxx I’d always rebid 2S, since my spades may take very few tricks in notrump.

When his 1N may be based on a stiff spade, the calculations will change somewhat. There will still be hands on which bidding 2S will be better, on average, than passing, but fewer of them than otherwise.

The same factors are at play when we have invitational or better hands with a 6 card suit....sometimes notrump will be better than spades, when we have a 6-1 fit. Thus both partners have to recalibrate their bidding micrometers.

As it happens, neither of my partners want to rebid with a stiff and, more importantly, the situation rarely arises. We strain to open 1C, even with longer diamonds (not on all hands), and our transfer structure over that 1C means that we accept the transfer into a major with all minimum balanced hands, rather than rebidding 1N.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#23 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-April-09, 13:07

All this is very interesting and makes sense but I am beginning to wonder if I am ready for this both at my personal bridge level and the interest/commitment level of my partner. I would love to look at transfers over 1, transfer leb on so on, and have this level of discussion but outside of forums, I'm not.
The quandary is that if I concentrate on improving my game, I'm playing at clubs and picking up or furthering bad habits and I know it's bad for my game. So how do you improve your game, in isolation, playing mediocre - terrible club bridge.

Anyway, we are off to play in another live tournament today where the level is very good. Hopefully I will stay disciplined, not mastermind and have some interesting hands to post later.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-09, 14:45

Maybe try a different system? Of course, that probably just means you'll have different problems. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users