BBO Discussion Forums: Go out of tournaments without losing TCR? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Go out of tournaments without losing TCR?

#1 User is offline   anderswen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-April-29, 08:07

Hello

Sometimes it can happen that something urgent come up in a middle of a tournament, important phone call etc.
To avoid just abandoning the tournament, logging off, closing the website etc. and lose TCR, is it any other way one can drop out of the tournament and not lose TCR?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-April-29, 08:12

View Postanderswen, on 2021-April-29, 08:07, said:

Hello

Sometimes it can happen that something urgent come up in a middle of a tournament, important phone call etc.
To avoid just abandoning the tournament, logging off, closing the website etc. and lose TCR, is it any other way one can drop out of the tournament and not lose TCR?

This is a feature, not a bug.

From the perspective of folk's running events, I don't think that they really care whether or not you believe that you had a good excuse to quit a tournament. Rather, they care about the impact that your quitting has on their game and the other players.

I don't think anyone much cares whether someone's TCR is 100% versus 95%. They're going to let you play.

Where TCR comes in handy is if someone is down around 60%. Then there is a really issue.

If you get some many urgent calls that your TCR is only 60%, well maybe you need to rethink what urgent actually means or, alternatively, rethink entering tournaments when you are on call.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-29, 08:56

"Is there a way for me to not complete a tournament that won't affect my Tournament Completion Rate?"

Apart from "wait 60 days for the incomplete to fall off the record", the answer should be, and is, no.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-29, 13:35

Hello

If you are that concerned about TCR, take the phone call and play like cr*p for the duration of your tournament. Problem solved.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-29, 17:50

That's an outstanding excuse.
Can you provide a ranked list of your "important calls" with a cut-off point for importance?
Sometimes my poodle needs to be taken out for an important call.
Where does this rank on your list?

We need an open-ended importance scale.
Non legit hoc

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-April-30, 09:07

TCR is an average over a period of time and tournaments. Unless you play very few tournaments, an occasional emergency like this shouldn't have enough impact to reduce your TCR below the requirements for most tournaments.

As others said, we don't care why you dropped out. If something urgent comes up every day, you're just too busy to play in tournaments that have TCR requirements. It's not a punishment or judgement, just an estimate of how likely you are to complete a tournament based on your track record.

#7 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-April-30, 09:17

To look at the question seriously, realize that TCR isn't for the player, it's for the tournament organizer (similarly, HCR is for the table host).

The tournament organizer wants the tournament to finish with a minimum of substitutions, delays, or robot intrusions. Or maybe it's more laid back, and can go a little slower, and people know that some will just disappear and be replaced.

As a result, it doesn't matter if a player drops because they don't like their partner, don't like their game, have flaky internet, or if they get The Call. Arguably, it even goes as far as "bushfire evacuation" or "active shooter", but, you know, there's a reason people don't require 100.0%.

IRL, once or twice a year, I'd be asked to hold a cell phone either from a doctor on call or an about-to-be grandparent. They figured the chance was low but non-zero (and I think I've answered one call, so they've been right), so they took the risk. When the chance was "as likely as not", they stayed home and played the next tournament (or organized their on-call schedule to not hit tournament week). Same thing. If you can't book two hours for a tournament without a significant chance of getting That Call, the tournament organizers would prefer you not show up.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   mitymite 

• Pip

Posted 2021-April-30, 10:26

If player takes too long in making their call, my Internet will quick out and then maybe I can get back on or not. A couple of times I was dropped. Anything to prevent losing my place?

#9 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-April-30, 11:20

In my experience (my partner has been having these issues for a while), "if a player takes too long in making their call", your connection has already dropped, and you haven't got notification of the call.

It's not the fault of the player; it's the failure of the connection that looks like "too long for player to call".

It is hard to tell the difference, of course.

#10 User is offline   Pertinax 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-April-30, 18:43

Hello

I don't understand what you mean getting a phone call more important than a bridge tournament. Nobody expects to ring someone anymore without being prepared for voicemail. Now if you were making a 911 call, as happened to a partner of mine during a tournment when rioters set fire to the house next door, that I can understand.

#11 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-May-01, 04:31

What I would find far more interesting is an explanation on how to change settings in order to receive push messaging faster in order to prevent being kicked out of tournaments even before the screen has updated with the first hand.

This happens to me quite often and it does have a TCR impact. Also I get the will be replaced in about XX seconds far faster then one would expect if the decission time indeed is 30 seconds.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-May-08, 08:48

View PostHuibertus, on 2021-May-01, 04:31, said:

What I would find far more interesting is an explanation on how to change settings in order to receive push messaging faster in order to prevent being kicked out of tournaments even before the screen has updated with the first hand.

There's no setting to change. The server sends the update immediately to the browser (we use WebSockets, not push messaging). If you're not getting it right away, there's a problem with your connection.

This happens to me quite often and it does have a TCR impact. Also I get the will be replaced in about XX seconds far faster then one would expect if the decission time indeed is 30 seconds.

If you get disconnected, login again and the TD should reseat you. Some tournaments are also set up to automatically reseat you at the beginning of the next board.

Unless you're talking about Express tournaments. If you take more than 30 seconds to bid or play in these, you get kicked out of the tourney and there's no way to rejoin. If this is happening to you on a regular basis, your Internet connection is simply not good enough to play in these kinds of games. Avoid them to prevent your TCR from dropping.

#13 User is offline   anderswen 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-May-09, 07:30

Ok seems like this urgent call caught much attention. I did not meant it like that, it was just an example. Now for example I lost focus and time ran out. Oh well, it is my fault ofcourse. I will try to avoid this in the future.
Thanks for your answers.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2021-May-10, 10:06

View Postanderswen, on 2021-May-09, 07:30, said:

Now for example I lost focus and time ran out.

There are only 2 types of tournaments where you're kicked out if you're too slow.

1. Express tournaments. These are only for people who can play within 30 seconds of thinking for each action. If you frequently lose focus, you shouldn't play these. Your TCR appropriately reflects this.

2. Robot duplicates. These have a time limit for the entire game (30 minutes for 8 boards, 1 hour for 12 boards), not each action or board. However, getting kicked out of these tournaments doesn't cause your TCR to go down.

If something just happens once or twice, it shouldn't have a big effect on your TCR, since it's averaged over all the tournaments you've played in 2 months.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users