BBO Discussion Forums: Matching Team Partners Automatically - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matching Team Partners Automatically Matching Team Partners Automatically

#1 User is offline   JohnyYuma 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge (Naturally), Movies, Music, travelling, Reading etc.

Posted 2021-July-23, 12:49

For the love of Gods (bridge ones) I can't understand why BBO has an arcane system of inviting partners - it is a simple software fix, where, If the player, putting his name in the partnership desk, agrees to and gives consent - he should be paired automatically with a partner based on BBO's compatibility algorithm or some such thing. Why go through an extra step of inviting someone ?

#2 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-23, 14:37

You save the inviter from having to invite.
But the invitee has the additional task of agreeing/consenting to be paired automatically.
Where is the saving?

I like being arcane if it gives me the right not to be partnered by the system with somebody who I don't want to be partnered with.
I might make poor choices but they are MY choices.

#3 User is offline   JohnyYuma 

• Pip

Posted 2021-July-24, 06:34

jandrwew
you probably didn't ready my post thoroughly. it says "if agreed to and consented" by the player requesting a partner
Thanks

#4 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-24, 10:19

View PostJohnyYuma, on 2021-July-24, 06:34, said:

jandrwew
you probably didn't ready my post thoroughly. it says "if agreed to and consented" by the player requesting a partner
Thanks

I did read your post thoroughly. Either :
  • The invitee has the additional task of agreeing/consenting, or
  • The inviter has to invite and the invitee has to accept (ie no change from current requirements).

Where is the saving?

#5 User is offline   JohnyYuma 

• Pip

Posted 2021-July-25, 06:09

Sorry..here is the explanation
When I submit my name to partnership desk (whether pairs or swiss teams) - my name/profile has a tag that says I am consenting to be paired automatically = that's it - I do not have to do any more invite/acceptance - there in lies the simplicity and saving
Thanks

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-July-26, 09:30

Ah, you're suggesting - as you say in the other thread - that there would be people who would say "sure, put me in with whoever decides to play with me". You've been getting the answer based on "when I put my name in the partnership desk, I automatically consent to play with whoever decides to". Those are, true, two different things (but I must admit I read your OP the way the others did the first time too). However:

Back when I ran official games at my club, this person was called "the spare", and I had to offer them a free game with a partner of their choice in exchange for dealing with the person that could otherwise not find a partner. It was still worth it for not having to turn people away, not having to be a playing director (sometimes), and not having sitouts.

I expect this will last, for a particular person, for as long as it takes for, as people have said, a person on the enemy list shows up, or the person who says "oh he was nice, and plays well" decides he's their regular partner (when in fact, he only kept his mouth shut because "it's only 20 boards and then I never have to deal with this incompetent again"), or he gets paired up with the obnoxious resulter and may not want to do it again, or ...

Because that's how it works in the Permanent Floating Pickup Pool in the Main BBO Club.

Having said all that, it's not a bad option to have. But I like having options. The IT world has determined that "as few options as necessary" is the way to go for general population (mostly non-IT) software, and while I hate it, they're probably right. I'm sure it's on the triage list, because that's how BBO developers say they work. I'm also sure you won't hear about it until it happens, because that's *also* how BBO developers say they work. But I don't expect it, probably because I'm more cynical than you (I'm guessing - but as Damon Runyon would say, "that's the way to bet".)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users