• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Parade of Morons Darwin Awards Nominations Accepted

#181 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-01, 01:19

View Postkenberg, on 2022-January-07, 14:05, said:

As to libertarianism, my first objection to it is that it is an ism. I can say that I generally do not wish to tell others to do, but when a pandemic is sweeping the world I make an exception. No ism needed, or if pushed I would say realism. If we are to speak of religious exceptions, I can respond without getting into deism or atheism. I cannot see why a merciful god would tell people that they cannot get vaccinated but if that is the case then they need to stay away from the rest of us. Again, no philosophy, no religion, no ism needed.

My personal beliefs and philosophy are not an -ism. Never followed anything remotely like an -ism and never will. If you make the mistake of even referring to an -ism in an argument you are doomed to unlimited attacks. I try to get around it by starting words with small letters rather than capitals but that doesn't work 🙂

Seriously though what concerns me most is the apparent manipulation by very interested corporations and others. I regard myself as highly trained, highly informed, something of a scientist and something of other disciplines; the last few years of media have turned me into the most cynical person in the world

#182 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-01, 01:35

View Postbarmar, on 2022-January-06, 11:11, said:

It should be noted that it's not inconsistent to be in favor of vaccines while against vaccine mandates.
. .

I have been genuinely concerned at the way beliefs on personal choices over health are being trampled; I feel totally without real justification. All the rubbish about herd immunity for starters. It appears to mean 100% of the world need to buy our products when we say or our associates can treat you as cruelly as they/we like

There are many fundamental human rights that most of us would sign onto. Many are being trampled for, in my view, highly questionable reasons and justification. Especially, in terms of nature/severity of virus/illness the arguments have been disgracefully manipulated by, it appears, a very interested media and others

#183 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-01, 02:04

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding about the term "herd immunity".
The original idea was based on the metaphor of gazelles grazing on grass.
Gather together in a group and most of you will survive when a lion attacks.

Unfortunately, in the case of an airborne virus a better metaphor is the ball of fish that get gobbled by a shiver of sharks.
In the end they all get eaten.

Countries like Australia where health care is completely free have a specific problem of limited health resources that are divided according to need not wealth.
This means that if some of the fish decide not to wear shark-proof mesh because they know better, then they will be more likely to get savaged by the virus.
They will then consume resources that may otherwise be used by the mesh-wearing fish that suffer a heart attack or fractured fin.

This is real problem because there are now about 5000 people in hospital in Australia which is about 10% of all public hospital beds.
These people are disproportionately unvaccinated.
They are gluing up the works and blocking so-called "elective surgery".
Elective surgery is not liposuction or tummy tucks.
Elective surgery is anything that can be put off for a week or more - including some cancer treatments.

Ok, chew gum, wear lycra or watch television - I don't care; but if you want to enjoy the hospitals and roads everyone contributes to get vaccinated and wear a seat-belt.

#184 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-01, 02:54

Hospitals Pull Unvaccinated COVID Patients Off Organ Donation Waiting Lists

Hospitals are yanking people off waiting lists for donated organs if they refuse to obtain COVID-19 vaccinations.

“I will die free,” North Carolina resident Chad Carswell, 38, told Charlotte’s WSOC-TV last week after losing his chance at a kidney transplant at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem.

“There is not a situation in this world that I’ll get a vaccine,” he told The Washington Post. “If I’m laying on my deathbed, and they tell me, ‘You have a kidney waiting on you if you get this shot,’ I’ll tell them, ’I’ll see you on the other side.’”

Glad that somebody who isn't an anti-vaxxer will replace Carswell on the transplant list. Fortunately for Carswell that if he is on his deathbed, nobody will be offering him a chance to get a kidney as he won't be on the list.

#185 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-01, 03:20

Problem is that rather than people intelligent educated people discussing serious questions this kind of rubbish is constantly used to undermine serious intelligent argument

It's one of many forms of argument fallacy as is trying to associate those asking serious questions with all kinds of characters

Are people not even able to the see issues in the world, the serious questions to be asked, discussed and answered without constant use of fallacious techniques

Maybe I am stupid trying to get any sense from a thread called parade of morons. But I keep trying and hoping that I am dealing with some intelligent people.

Two years of this incessant media driven BS in relation to covid. Before that Trump. Before that whatever etc

Something of a mistake, on a disgusting unpleasantly hot day here in *** when close communication with loved ones is best avoided, of logging on to the Cooler

#186 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-February-02, 17:17

View Postthepossum, on 2022-February-01, 03:20, said:

Problem is that rather than people intelligent educated people discussing serious
questions this kind of rubbish is constantly used to undermine serious
intelligent argument

I see it quite differently.

Intelligent thoughtful discussion is costly. And, quite frankly, people get worn out
trying to deal with folks who are constantly flooding the zone with *****.

If individuals spend to much time spouting inane conspiracy theories, they start getting labeled as whack jobs.

The fact that you believe that something is an intelligent point doesn't mean that other folks agree.
Alderaan delenda est

#187 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-05, 02:03

I do not flood anywhere with ***** Richard

All my comments are highly informed and up for intelligent non ad-hom challenge

My belief in the intelligence of my points has a lot of objective backing including the need for people to constantly undermine with fallacies and attempts to associate with people with strange views. This thread is clearly the wrong place. I made a mistake ever joining the Parade

PS Let's scrap the questionnable concept of "intelligence" and use "informed and educated in relevant fields"

I challenge you to itemize my ***** so I can respond

I appreciate my posts are often a bit rambling, often I get upset and don't respond in the most organised way. Not all of us are used to this kind of constant "attack" and defence. I often need to edit (not intending to undermine)

All I have ever tried to communicate are the following legitimate points

1. years of manipulative, scare-mongering, and ignorant media - possibly interested or motivated
2. extreme retail health mentality in Covid and other health related issues
3. thats enough for now. no years of totally dodgy use of statistics - that fits under 1
etc
4. Oops nearly forget a big one. Arguing for people's human rights

You want to challenge those points go ahead

#188 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-February-05, 06:58

View Postthepossum, on 2022-February-05, 02:03, said:

I do not flood anywhere with ***** Richard

All my comments are highly informed and up for intelligent non ad-hom challenge

You want to challenge those points go ahead

Not particularly

You come across as mentally ill, a conspiracy theorist, and some of your rants are incorporating anti Semitic tropes.

I know that you want people to treat you seriously, but you've long passed the point where anyone should.

You constantly complain all sorts of people in all sorts of communities keep treating you like you're some kind of nutjob. You really might want to consider why this happens to you over and over again.
Alderaan delenda est

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users