Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong double? Double then bid

#1 User is offline   ilkleyivan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-04, 15:41

If I make a takeout double and my partner passes, would I be showing a very strong hand if I then made a suit bid?

E.g. As North, would my 3C bid be showing a very strong hand?

How many points does 3C bid show?

Would it show the same strength as here, where I change suit after parter does respond?

#2 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-September-04, 15:54

View Postilkleyivan, on 2021-September-04, 15:41, said:

If I make a takeout double and my partner passes, would I be showing a very strong hand if I then made a suit bid?

Would it show the same strength as here, where I change suit after parter does respond?

3C shows a strong hand with a long suit. With a strong hand and no shorty suit, other than hearts, you’d double again.

With a weaker hand and long clubs, you’d overcall 2C rather than doubling 1H

With a weaker hand and no long suit, you’d pass 2H

I’d expect something like Axx x Kxx AKQxxx on the low end in terms of strength.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-September-05, 10:40

View Postilkleyivan, on 2021-September-04, 15:41, said:

I treat both as strong hands, but with the first slightly weaker than the second at a balancing position.

The actual point count of "double then bid" depends on the shape, the distribution of points, and whether there is a stopper in the opponent's suit. I consider minimum 16 as a guideline as a "double then bid" hand in an uncontested auction, where 8-15 is the range of a simple overcall with a good suit.

However, in the first example, I may reopen the bidding with a slightly weaker hand is the bid suit is rather than , for example:
AK873-AJ93QT82

In the above hand, I will pass the second example after partner bids 2, but I will reopen with 2 in the first example hoping partner can compete.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-September-06, 15:25

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-September-05, 10:40, said:

AK873-AJ93QT82
In the above hand, I will pass the second example after partner bids 2, but I will reopen with 2 in the first example hoping partner can compete.

I think it is the other way round. You overcall 1S and then balance X to show a max overcall with support for the un bid suits. To me, X then 2S would be at least a K better. And (gotta check with partner, though) probably not so pure in terms of shape, rather 5233 but even stronger, or 51(43) or 6133, 62(32).

But to answer the OP, X then new suit over a minimum answer from partner who could be broke is 17/18 or so, at least, taking shape and suit quality / length into consideration.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users