BBO Discussion Forums: Auto Score Adjustment in Clocked Tournament? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto Score Adjustment in Clocked Tournament?

#1 User is offline   criptik 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-10, 15:21

I have played in some clocked tournaments which seem to get a very quick (within seconds) score adjustment when a board does not complete. Usually the adjusted score is very accurate and I can't imagine the director has time to do this manually in that time. Is there an option for this to happen in some non-manual way?

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-November-10, 15:45

View Postcriptik, on 2021-November-10, 15:21, said:

I have played in some clocked tournaments which seem to get a very quick (within seconds) score adjustment when a board does not complete. Usually the adjusted score is very accurate and I can't imagine the director has time to do this manually in that time. Is there an option for this to happen in some non-manual way?

Hands where a certain number of tricks have been played (5 from memory) will be automatically adjusted by the robots when time runs out. The director gets notified about these adjustments and should go through and assess whether the assigned result is appropriate. Hands which have not proceeded to that point will be assigned an average, and the director should check those as well.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-10, 16:05

The idea that an adjudicator can work out the result is problematic because it assumes that the players would suddenly develop the ability to play double-dummy if there was more time.
Or that they will all suddenly have the same skill level as the person adjusting.
Adjudication is a completely different skill from directing.
sfi is a skilled player and Director and may be able to do both well.
Someone like me may be able to become a Director (I was asked to become one after playing for about a year) but asking me to adjudicate would be unfair.

Yet another reason why the slowest pair should get 40% or -3 IMP's.
This form of adjustment is the minimally fair and reasonable way to deal with adjustment in a timed game.

It accounts for the fact that in a mind game, skill is a function of available time.

Adjustments can be made where the Director sees that the slower pair is attempting to game the clock, where the other pair has managed to find a high scoring contract or the time-wasters have blundered in a cold win.
Because internet-based games can accurately record time and moves, penalties for gaming the system are much easier to detect and punish.

#4 User is offline   criptik 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-10, 16:20

View Postsfi, on 2021-November-10, 15:45, said:

Hands where a certain number of tricks have been played (5 from memory) will be automatically adjusted by the robots when time runs out. The director gets notified about these adjustments and should go through and assess whether the assigned result is appropriate. Hands which have not proceeded to that point will be assigned an average, and the director should check those as well.

So you're saying this happens automatically for every tournament and I as director do not have to do anything special to get it to happen?
I agree the director should go back and check things, it's just nice to get things started automatically (in particular when there were very few tricks left in the play).

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-10, 20:35

As far as I know. We might have had extra features since we were associated with a national federation, but I never had to set it up when creating the event.

#6 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-12, 08:20

I have been directing online for out club VACB games. BBO adjusts unfinished boards automatically when it can and does NOT notify me of those. If it can't figure a fair adjustment it scores them as average and sends me a notification for me to evaluate the hand and determine an adjustment.

My players have been told that if BBO has adjusted the score they can make a director call and I will look at the hand. I have directed probably 500+ online games and have been asked to look at these automatic adjustments maybe 50 times. I have fixed maybe two of them.

Is it "fair" to adjust unfinished hands? It's not the same as F2F but if you are going to terminate a hand unfinished it is probably the best you can do. Don't expect online to be the same as F2F. Would you like to be able to revoke online. I have seen people say that it's not real bridge because you can't revoke, make insufficient bids, bid or play out of turn.

John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-November-13, 05:51

For the record, automatic adjustments are not done double dummy, they are single dummy.

This feature is not available in all games, only certain groups have it, typically national federations and pay games.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users