BBO Discussion Forums: Let me ask you - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let me ask you

#1 User is offline   olliebol 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2022-January-19, 14:21

You have x, hqx, akj10xx, kqx.

Bidding 1 sp, you double, 4sp, pass by p
Pass and now i would like to know do you pass
Double again or prefer 5 diamonds.
Olivier.

#2 User is offline   Allan3nt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-January-19, 15:41

View Postolliebol, on 2022-January-19, 14:21, said:

Your hand seems to have poor def against Ss and likely they would have a shortage in Ds, so likely they’d succeed with a distributional pre-emp response of 4Ss so maybe poor pts but gd length. Only 4 LTC and P obv less than overcall at L2 which could be as many as 10pts which could give you quite a pts advantage (poss 28) it may be worth a 5D bid which may lose but be worth the sacrifice - according to vulnerability. And whether you play Acol or 5cd M might have a bearing I suppose but no doubt you’ve already considered that. Not much help sry - I’m sure you’re prob more advanced than me to do a call like this.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-January-19, 15:55

Many people would say that this is why you overcall 2 with even a hand this strong. Now, you get to double 4 and you get the point across.

Since you decided (whether because you wanted to keep all suits in play, or because you thought you were too strong for 2) to double, you've basically priced yourself into showing your diamonds now. You're likely showing something closer to
but anything's a lie now.

Unfortunately, your hand doesn't have much defence, and if you double, partner might pass and one of your round suits could be zero tricks (and diamonds could also be only one). Or if partner doesn't pass, she *will* pick the 4-3 heart fit instead of the 3-6 diamond fit.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-January-19, 16:05

View Postolliebol, on 2022-January-19, 14:21, said:

Use the hand diagram tool to input the hand and the bidding. The hand diagram tool is the icon that looks like a spade with 2 vertical red bars on the sides.

#5 User is offline   olliebol 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2022-January-20, 14:27

Tx will try to use hand diagram next time, this is from an alt tournament and the players actions were all over the place.

4sp made doubled though you could pose declarer a problem later in the hand p was 4243 with the sp jack which was finessed.

Tx
Olivier.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users