Pass or 3.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-13, 05:01

View PostAL78, on 2022-April-13, 04:52, said:

Pass or 3.

I don't think that pass has any merit at this vulnerability.

3 has the advantage that it prevents opener from doubling 2 (or bidding 2NT or 3, but those calls aren't used that often).

Most likely they won't be competing over 3 anyway so 2 should work fine.

And 3 is misleading, it shows a weaker hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-13, 05:04

View PostAL78, on 2022-April-13, 04:52, said:

Pass or 3.

Pass is not helping partner, 3 sounds pre-emptive and defensive. 2 shows good limit raise. It also allows partner to explore a 5 or 3NT contract with the right hand.

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-April-13, 05:18

I agree, I didn't bid either of those alternatives I suggested. I decided it was worth a good raise and bid 2. The auction continues:

Now what?

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 05:21

Sign me in for 2S, given we are a passed hand, partner won’t expect more. Passing can’t be serious, and 3C is probably a slight underbid.

Partner might even be pleasantly surprised with 2 A, the 4th trump, a side Q and no wasted S points, although if we are to play at NTs, from my hand, the SQ might be better.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-April-13, 06:37

View PostAL78, on 2022-April-13, 05:18, said:

I agree, I didn't bid either of those alternatives I suggested. I decided it was worth a good raise and bid 2. The auction continues:

Now what?

This is annoying, I have pretty much what I have shown so I would prefer partner just to make a decision.

Maybe they are fishing for a side suit that can give additional tricks and then I should sign off because I don't have that. But I think my hand is a bid better than it might have been: the clubs are likely to run, and I have entries for any finesses that might be needed. And I certainly couldn't have much more as a passed hand.

So 3NT.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 06:44

We're already up to 8 tricks with partner's 6 clubs, the ace of diamond and a likely spade, and that's assuming partner overcalled on just Axx, xx, xx, Kxxxxx. I think partner owes us another king, and I'll bid 3NT.

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 07:55

I bid 3NT and watched her go down. Going by the responses so far it is safe to assume that this one wasn't due to overbidding on my part, so when I next see her we will have a discussion about what constitutes a reasonable 2 level overcall.

Only three imps out thankfully.

Here are the auctions on the other three tables:

They all made 10 tricks.

#11 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 08:11

2 is a terrible bid. Yet again your partner is to blame. It is very often a bad idea to overcall 2m on a 5-card suit, although of course exceptions exist. I think, given the auctions you have shown, it would be wise to agree to always require a 6-card suit for such a bid.

#12 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-April-13, 08:16

well even with partner's insane 2C bid, 3N is still only one off, which clearly shows you bid the hand correctly imo. I don't think there's much point having conversations about what constitutes a two level overcall with this partner, either play with them and don't take it to seriously, or find another partner. Seriously, they are absolutely hopeless as demonstrated by the vast majority of your posts when they have done some crazed action that's got a dreadful board for you, and that won't change any time soon. Just play purely for fun and don't worry about the result, or get a partner where you're not on a blind guess as to what insanity they're doing on just about every board!!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-April-13, 08:20

The 2 overcall is a bit pointless. It's the kind of bids that I would make myself in a heterogenous field, hoping opps to have a misunderstanding about whether they play negative freebids or not. But it doesn't achieve anything against opps who know their system, and the problem is that next time she has a real 2 overcall you won't find the sacrifice or preemptive raise of clubs because you are used to this kind of overcalls.

Dbl would be OK if she can't stomach to pass.

The 2NT bid is also not a good idea. The club suit probably won't run and she has only one spade stopper, so for 3NT to make she needs a lot of help. So she should sign off in 3.

#14 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 09:05

View Posteagles123, on 2022-April-13, 08:16, said:

well even with partner's insane 2C bid, 3N is still only one off, which clearly shows you bid the hand correctly imo. I don't think there's much point having conversations about what constitutes a two level overcall with this partner, either play with them and don't take it to seriously, or find another partner. Seriously, they are absolutely hopeless as demonstrated by the vast majority of your posts when they have done some crazed action that's got a dreadful board for you, and that won't change any time soon. Just play purely for fun and don't worry about the result, or get a partner where you're not on a blind guess as to what insanity they're doing on just about every board!!

This was with a different partner to the other posts I have made, but I see what you mean, I should change mentality towards doing my best, but not expecting to be competitive. This one is more open to discussion on bidding and system modification in general.

#15 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-April-13, 09:17

I would have bid the same as you. The problem for me is the lack of suit quality in the overcall, and a poor decision to bid 2NT with no source of tricks

#16 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 10:30

My apologies for criticising your partner based on the previous posts, I shouldn't have assumed it was the same person. If this partner is open to more discussion and agreements, requiring a 6-card suit for an overcall like this might be a solid idea.

I like the 2NT bid. East asked for a spade stop, and West has one. What more do you want? If East has a minimum they can bid 3 after and West can pass.

I think doubling 1 with the West hand is also a bad idea. Passing is clear, unless you have an explicit agreement to play minimum off-shape doubles (not my personal preference).

#17 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 10:54

View PostAL78, on 2022-April-13, 09:05, said:

This was with a different partner to the other posts I have made

I had guessed that, given she hadn’t blamed you for raising!

And yes, the 2C overcall is beyond disgusting.

#18 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-April-13, 10:56

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-April-13, 10:30, said:

My apologies for criticising your partner based on the previous posts, I shouldn't have assumed it was the same person. If this partner is open to more discussion and agreements, requiring a 6-card suit for an overcall like this might be a solid idea.

I like the 2NT bid. East asked for a spade stop, and West has one. What more do you want? If East has a minimum they can bid 3 after and West can pass.

I think doubling 1 with the West hand is also a bad idea. Passing is clear, unless you have an explicit agreement to play minimum off-shape doubles (not my personal preference).

can't disagree more re 2N, partner is a passed hand do you really expect to make game here?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#19 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 11:06

No, but I would never have bid 2. I'm saying that on the auction, Kx is more than enough to bid 2NT, even with a minimum. The fact that our hand is impossible is something I prefer not to condition on, it leads to awkward conclusions.

#20 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-13, 14:16

It must be frustrating when you appear to be the only person at your entire club who is capable of making an normal bid :/ I almost had sympathy for the last one's double until their partner showed a 0 count and they proceeded to raise..

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users