BBO Discussion Forums: Why does the running score have to change during the last round? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does the running score have to change during the last round? It would be nice if the running score were across the field

#1 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-May-15, 20:29

When playing in a large pair game, BBO changes your running score during the final round. I believe what is happening is that until the last round the running score is your percentage within your section only, and then during the final round the score changes to reflect your percentage across the field. Somehow this change rarely helps my score -- I suppose it must help sometimes, but it seems like it almost always lowers the score for me and whomever I'm playing with.

In tonight's 8:10 18-board ACBL game the change was particularly jarring. My partner and I were at 51.7 going into the final round, having climbed out of a hole we'd fallen into earlier in the session. The last round went well and I was looking forward to a respectable final score when I suddenly noticed that our score without the final round had changed to 45.7. Our final round brought us up to a disappointing 46.99.

Part of the fun of playing on BBO is knowing the running score. Every game is effectively a barometer game -- something you rarely get in F2F play. Why reduce the fun by changing the score in the final round? Is there any reason why the running score can't reflect your across-the-field percentage throughout the event? I mean, it is a computer doing the scoring, so it should be capable of matchpointing the event across the field the whole time.

My customer satisfaction with BBO would improve if I didn't have to deal with the disappointment of having my score lowered in the middle of the final round of an event. I'm not saying that this is a huge deal. It isn't. The disappointment is mild. But it is there, whenever this happens, and I don't see why it has to happen at all. I would prefer the running score to show the across-the-field percentage throughout the event.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-May-17, 10:05

I don't think it should change during the last round, and I've never seen this happen. It will change shortly after the game is over, since the final results are scored across the field, while the running scores are just within the section.

#3 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-May-18, 11:41

View Postbarmar, on 2022-May-17, 10:05, said:

I don't think it should change during the last round, and I've never seen this happen. It will change shortly after the game is over, since the final results are scored across the field, while the running scores are just within the section.

Thanks for your reply.

The change occurs before the final score for the session is available. To be precise, I think it happens after my partner and I finish the final round, but while other pairs are still playing the final round. So one might or might not regard it as happening "during" the final round. But I definitely see a revised running score for all the boards except those in the last round, before I see the full final score.

In any event, regardless of exactly when the change occurs, my suggestion is that the running score be across the field throughout the event.

Thanks for your consideration.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-May-26, 09:04

I believe the reason why the running score is not across the entire field is because we score all the boards in a section when the round changes, and each section moves to the next round at different times (even in clocked tourneys). We recompute the scores in a section when boards are adjusted, but not when other sections catch up.

I think this is also why it's different at the end. At that point we do calculate across the field of all sections that have completed so far.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users