BBO Discussion Forums: Free daylong for beginners? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Free daylong for beginners?

#1 User is offline   ublover1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, computer programming, IT support.
    My bridge ID in Sweden Bridge Association is 200169

Posted 2022-August-08, 03:03

Hello

I use to play and like the free daylong tournaments, but it is seldom I can score high in them cause of my beginner status.
Sometimes it is impossible, just declare and 6h, and you have two losers in clubs and opps play those clubs. Not even a world class player could defend that!!

Can one set up an easier for of daylong for us beginners, which would be more fun cause one is able to score higher?

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-August-08, 03:39

Are you talking about MPs where everyone in your section was playing 6H with 2 losers :)

You can try to minimise your losses. Personally I stopped playing Just Declare because they have all these stupid contracts that good players wouldn't bid :) I only like playing contracts that me and my partner bid - that's Bridge and life ideally

But bidding 6 with two losers does happen sometimes :(

I am investigating an interesting one now where only 6 out of 30 of us bid 6 (with 2 losers) and for some reason for 5 players the Bot threw away the easy defence, but for me it defended perfectly. Trying to work out why

Its very hard to avoid 6-1 situations in suits like diamonds for some reason

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-08, 03:41

View Postublover1, on 2022-August-08, 03:03, said:

Sometimes it is impossible, just declare and 6h, and you have two losers in clubs and opps play those clubs. Not even a world class player could defend that!!

Your aim isn't to make the contract - but to do better than everyone else who is in exactly the same position as you.

So if you have two losers in a just declare daylong and the opponents cash them straight away, you're not going to get a bad score - you'll get the same average 50% that everyone else will.

It's true that if you want to 'win' a daylong, you won't be able to do so if you get dealt one of those flat 50% hands, because someone else will likely have fluked hands where they can get 80-90% on lots of them. But that's more luck of the draw, rather than anything to do with skill / making an 'easier' daylong.

What you should do is just focus on your score for each hand individually, and not worry too much about where that places you on the combined leaderboard.

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-08, 11:36

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-August-08, 03:41, said:

<snip>

What you should do is just focus on your score for each hand individually, and not worry too much about where that places you on the combined leaderboard.

What helps as well, if you have a list of friends, that play the same daylong as you, you can compare your standing against theirs.
The main problem is, how do you identify a Beginner, ..., Expert, you only have self rating, which is as correct as anything someone may
come up with. If you know the peoble, you know how strong / weak they are.

Another option play the BBF tournament, weekly, ..., and as ask about specific hands, again ... dont look at the global leader board, it is just
depressing.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users