Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint decision

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-17, 09:21

Partner opens a 12-14 1N, you hold (MPs qualifier)

You can either transfer to spades or bid 3 single suited, GF at least minor slam interest

Where are you going from here ? If it matters you're not doing very well in the event at this point, bumbling along below average with top 1/3 qualifying.

If you transfer
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-17, 09:30

I'd pick the route you chose, and then
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-17, 15:24

I am biased by my location, as everyone knows. I don't want to win this one in the auction, especially given everyone else's auction (at least in my game) has started 1-1; 1NT. I'm not going to go any more out of my way to not do the "standard thing".

I don't know how "mild" mild slam try is, or how easy it is to turn off the "mild", or whether OP and partner have some sort of Texas to go with the two-level transfers. My options would be 4-and-pass, 4-level-transfer-and-pass, 2-transfer and jump to 4 ("mild slam try"), 2 (ART range ask)-2NT (minimum)-4 (give up. Right?), or 2-3 (max)-3 (KC for spades. Fully expecting 3NT "small doubleton", at which point I ask again), which is a serious slam try.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Having been thinking through my previous response (esp. "points vs tricks"), I'm wondering if
Spoiler

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-October-17, 19:08

It’s unlikely that a 4-4 club fit generates a better score than does a 6-2/6-3 or even 6-4 spade fit. We only have two red suit losers so if partner has, say, AKxx in clubs, he rates to be able to hold our red suit losers to 1 in spades. 980 for 6S making beats 940 for 6C making 13 tricks.

Given our methods, I doubt that we can find 7C opposite xxx xxx Axx AKJx

So I’m ignoring clubs as a possible strain but that’s not the same as saying I won’t bid clubs….it would be nice if partner showed that he liked clubs, as one example. I can always keycard….say 1N 2H 3C 4C…whatever my keycard is here (for me, 4D), I’d bid it and then place the contract in spades.

I don’t use these methods…for me, 1N 2H 2S….I show clubs via 2N, which allows partner to accept or reject clubs at a low level….we don’t transfer into spades with a 5 card suit and invitational values…we go through stayman. Also 1N 2H 2S 3H is a strong slam try in spades.

So, given the constraints, I bid 2H then 3C.

If he bids 3R, I bid 3S. If he bids 3N, I bid 5S. He ‘should’ infer solid spades, needing help in clubs and controls, not Quacks, in the reds
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-October-18, 01:49

I felt getting the clubs in was important as xx, Qxx, Qxxx, AKJx makes 5 but 6 even more so with the hands with a 5 card club suit.

Partner's actual hand was

Not sure where you want to be knowing this, looks like spades

Both 4 and 3N make 11 tricks double dummy on a heart lead against NT and there's a club ruff in spades, but in practice either contract played by S will make 12 as W won't find the right lead from Kx Axxxx.

What happened at the table ? I passed 3N, opening leader had a choice from Q10xxx xxxxx and chose the more passive diamond to the JK. Partner played the 9K ducked twice and then claimed 13 as everything else disappeared on the diamonds.

#6 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-October-18, 05:01

Playing Texas transfers would show 6M no interest in slam so going the slow route and bidding 4 after 1NT-2-2-3-3NT would show 6 SI and partner is expected to take things forward. I use 5 in this instance showing a single(3/5) keyboards and control.

#7 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-18, 05:04

How do you bid 65 without SI? Or even 64 but you're not sure of strain?

#8 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-October-18, 05:10

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-October-18, 05:04, said:

How do you bid 65 without SI? Or even 64 but you're not sure of strain?

I tend to favour so still a Texas transfer unless the suit is v. poor.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users