BBO Discussion Forums: WHEN TO GO ON TO 3NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

WHEN TO GO ON TO 3NT

#21 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-February-28, 13:40

shyams, on 2024-February-28, 11:57, said:

Am I the only one who can't see OP's text?

To me, the title shows up as posted by Knurdler, followed by first post by pescetom.

My post was intended as a gentle reprimand to Knurdler who posted an empty thread.
I imagine he will catch up sooner or later :)

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-February-28, 14:43

pescetom, on 2024-February-28, 12:19, said:

My post was intended as a gentle reprimand to Knurdler who posted an empty thread.
I imagine he will catch up sooner or later :)

Or Knurdler lost interest after the first few replies. This thread has surpassed most N/B discussions.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-28, 15:33

jillybean, on 2024-February-28, 14:43, said:

Or Knurdler lost interest after the first few replies. This thread has surpassed most N/B discussions.

Not difficult, but I still don't think so.
The Law of 16 is the only new idea and looks unlikely to me (15-17 HCP has on average well more than 6 honours and an unsupported 9 is no compensation for 8 HCP rather than 9 HCP).
I agree that a simulations can decide that, also that hand evaluation is more important in any case.

#24 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-28, 17:16

I have my own duplicate bidding rules which try to balance up probabilities, the strength of the field, and trying to score positive

You will occasionally find me around the middle on 2NT+1 for example (especially pairs but even at IMPs)

#25 User is offline   Knurdler 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-March-03, 12:33

I am so sorry about the blank post. I have been trying to reply to other posts and to fix this one for ages but keep getting errors.

The question is not about 1NT opening, it is when the bidding starts 1 anything, 1 something else, 1NT, 2NT....?
To me this sequence says the opener has 12-14 (maybe 11 -14) points and the responder has 11-12.
It seems that, as opener with 13 points, I get the decision to pass or go on to 3NT wrong more often than right.

#26 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-03, 12:42

Thank you for the clarification. The truth is that this is a sensitive and complicated topic. Some thoughts in no particular order, and then a recommendation at the end:

• In general I think invites like this 2NT bid are much worse than is commonly accepted, and partner should often blast or pass rather than pass the buck to opener. I think this 2NT bid is a blame transfer quite frequently.
  • This sequence has already leaked a lot of information (opener has denied 4-card support, responder has denied being interested in 3-card support or 4oM, the points are known to within a 1-2 point range, and in many standard systems opener's longer minor suit is known as well). All of this can be used to help inform your decisions, but there's less of an upside in aggressively bidding game compared to bidding it through other routes as the defenders have much more to go on.
  • In general you are expected to accept the invite with 13-14 and pass with 12 at IMPs. However, you can use the information of the auction to decide to downgrade bad 13s or upgrade nice 12s, and you may decide to be a touch more conservative at MPs.
  • Personally I think many players will invite far too often, opposite which it is not unreasonable to accept the invite practically always.

Edit: I forgot to add one of the most important points, so here it is. On this auction you and your partner have not done a great job in evaluating whether or not 3NT will make, which is very often dependent on the degree of a minor suit (conditional on having 24-26 HCP and no major suit fit) or the interior strength of your suits. Opener is left with a blind guess. Since there's no way back (you have to pass now or go past 2NT) you will inevitably end up getting this wrong a good amount of the time, which is why I consider 2NT a blame transfer. Responder might well not know whether or not game is on, but demanding that opener makes the decision only gains if opener does know, and 2NT is not descriptive enough to clarify this reliably.

#27 User is offline   jdiana 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-March-03, 13:33

This may be too simplistic (or overly conservative) but we just don't invite with 11 in that situation.

#28 User is offline   fuzzyquack 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-March-03, 15:41

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-March-03, 12:42, said:

Edit: I forgot to add one of the most important points, so here it is. On this auction you and your partner have not done a great job in evaluating whether or not 3NT will make, which is very often dependent on the degree of a minor suit (conditional on having 24-26 HCP and no major suit fit) or the interior strength of your suits. Opener is left with a blind guess. Since there's no way back (you have to pass now or go past 2NT) you will inevitably end up getting this wrong a good amount of the time, which is why I consider 2NT a blame transfer. Responder might well not know whether or not game is on, but demanding that opener makes the decision only gains if opener does know, and 2NT is not descriptive enough to clarify this reliably.

No invite bridge is of the best kind for the two relatively balanced hands and the hand evaluation in such cases was buried inside of pyramids in secret chambers.

#29 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-03, 20:56

View PostKnurdler, on 2024-March-03, 12:33, said:

I am so sorry about the blank post. I have been trying to reply to other posts and to fix this one for ages but keep getting errors.

Seems to be a problem with the forum software more than anything else.

#30 User is offline   Knurdler 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-March-04, 06:45

I finally manged to post a reply and apology last night without an error message.
But this morning my reply is not here.
When I contact support they quickly ask the problem and even ask for feedback on how thye did but nothing gets fixed.
Sorry guys

#31 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-04, 13:02

A full description of the forum issue and an annoying workaround you can use is in this thread: https://www.bridgeba...to-forum-posts/

#32 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-04, 13:03

The software has been terrible lately, that's not your fault. If anything you are owed an apology for not being able to ask your questions.

For what it's worth, it might be caused by comments with special characters. Avoiding those tends to work, or temporarily posting a dummy message and then using the 'edit' function to post the actual message.

#33 User is offline   Knurdler 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-March-05, 08:13

Here goes typing with no odd characters
My question was not about a NT auction

My problem or question is finding guidance on when should opener go on to 3NT afer starting 1 something 1 something else 1NT by opener and then 2NT by responder
That suggests opener has 11 to 14 and responder has 11 to 12 (open to corrections and suggestions)

If opener has 11 it is easy to pass and 14 easy to go on
With 12 or 13 I seem to get it wrong more often than right

#34 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-March-05, 08:51

1C 1S
1nt 2nt

This appears to be a generic game try sequence, responder gives you no more information about their hand.

With no further information, bidding on with 12 or 13 is largely a guess. Is your 12/13 a "good" 12/13 concentrated values, Ace and Kings or a "bad" 12/13 with scattered values, Queens and Jack's ?

There are conventions that partner can use to make a game try after 1x 1y 1nt. More information is available to help partner make the decision to bid game or not.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#35 User is offline   Knurdler 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-March-07, 11:27

Thank you JB
What are the conventions you allude to?
If 1 is checkback, then I now realise we can use 1x 1y 1NT 2NT to show 12 points and going via checkback to show 11 (oe vice versa).

#36 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-07, 12:16

My previous answers were for this sequence, there was no misunderstanding.

People commonly play two-way checkback here (i.e. XYNT or XYZ). I would not split responder's routes to 2NT by HCP. In fact, I think you're trying to gild the lily.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users