BBO Discussion Forums: Tournament cancelling and restoring TCR. That is not okay! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament cancelling and restoring TCR. That is not okay!

#1 User is offline   Thranduil 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-August-25, 06:59

Yesterday evening I played the "Nachteulen" tournament from BBO Germany, a paid service (payment is offsite, thus the tournaments are listed as free on BBO). In the last round, with my partnership about to either win or at least finish in the top 3, the tournament suddenly was cancelled by user "Gerardo", who said he works for BBO and is cancelling the tournament for the lack of a TD. I strongly disagree with that action, as there was a TD, but they likely got a disconnect and would have soon logged back into BBO. Disconnects happen even with the best connection, it's just the nature of the internet. Also, a victory and thus chance to qualify for their liga final, was taken from us.

Now, I played in another BBO Germany tournament (Sonntag Mittag, Mensch/Roboter), and it again was cancelled. This time without any message from BBO. And not just that, I also noticed that my TCR went down. For something that is completely out of my control. I did not disconnect or run away and stopped playing, it was BBO cancelling the tournament.

Therefore, I request you to restore my TCR (still above 90 for now, but if this happens again, it might drop below 90, barring me from entering some tournaments!) and strongly suggest you to look into the actions of that particular staff member. Cancelling a tournament - again, we pay to play in this tournament - for a reason as simple as the TD losing connection is not okay.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-August-25, 13:16

I didn't say the cancellation triggers refunds of all fees (entries/robots). I usually do, I am sorry about that.

Cancelling such tournaments (with more reason, pay tournaments) is and has been the (Note: not MY) policy in place.

Let's consider the alternative: a number of boards unfinished, perhaps even sitouts not filled (not the case here, I know).

I checked the tournament has a number of dbv_NN listed as TD, and none of them were online
(after a player reported a disconnection at her table, and no TD online to take care of it, or anything else for that matter).

This was not corrected up to the point the tournament was cancelled.

Oh, and the cancellation didn't affect TCR either way.

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-August-26, 04:06

View PostThranduil, on 2024-August-25, 06:59, said:

Yesterday evening I played the "Nachteulen" tournament from BBO Germany, a paid service (payment is offsite, thus the tournaments are listed as free on BBO). In the last round, with my partnership about to either win or at least finish in the top 3, the tournament suddenly was cancelled by user "Gerardo", who said he works for BBO and is cancelling the tournament for the lack of a TD. I strongly disagree with that action, as there was a TD, but they likely got a disconnect and would have soon logged back into BBO. Disconnects happen even with the best connection, it's just the nature of the internet. Also, a victory and thus chance to qualify for their liga final, was taken from us.

Now, I played in another BBO Germany tournament (Sonntag Mittag, Mensch/Roboter), and it again was cancelled. This time without any message from BBO. And not just that, I also noticed that my TCR went down. For something that is completely out of my control. I did not disconnect or run away and stopped playing, it was BBO cancelling the tournament.

Therefore, I request you to restore my TCR (still above 90 for now, but if this happens again, it might drop below 90, barring me from entering some tournaments!) and strongly suggest you to look into the actions of that particular staff member. Cancelling a tournament - again, we pay to play in this tournament - for a reason as simple as the TD losing connection is not okay.

Thanks.

To clarify the situation: Gerardo, who is one of BBO's sysadmins and a senior staff member at BBO, acted in accordance with our standard procedures for handling tournaments without a TD. When players reach out for assistance and there is no TD present to manage the game, our policy is to cancel the tournament. For paid games, this allows players to be eligible for refunds. If it's a game with BB$ entry fees, the refunds are issued automatically. Note that the tourneys were not cancelled "proactively", this has happened in response to players from those tournaments requiring assistance.

The responsibility to ensure that a TD is present for the duration of a tournament falls on the organizers. In this case, it appears there was a lapse on the part of the DBV, not just once, but for two tournaments, which led to the need for intervention by BBO staff. I'd suggest addressing these concerns directly with the DBV, who are responsible for the organization of these events, including providing backup for the TDs.

Regarding your TCR (Tournament Completion Rate): The decrease you noticed is not related to the cancellations of the DBV tournaments. Cancelled games do not negatively impact players' TCRs. Your TCR was affected by disconnections in several express games.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users