BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#201 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-January-07, 17:49

A couple of days ago, the bidding went p (p) 1h (4s) x ap

I lead the A clubs low low low (but p giving an encouraging signal) trick 2 K clubs low, RUFF, low.

trick 3 Q clubs led!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#202 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 03:31

View Posteagles123, on 2014-January-07, 17:49, said:

trick 3 Q clubs led!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume you ruffed and returned J?
(-: Zel :-)

#203 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 20:01

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-January-08, 03:31, said:

I assume you ruffed and returned J?

One of the Scottish juniors told me a story once where he was declarer and made his contract by ruffing out diamonds when he had 3 low in each, 6 tricks in a row were diamond ruffs.
Wayne Somerville

#204 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-09, 20:55

Avon Wilsmore posted this at BridgeWinners:

In a weak club game we defended 4 and took the first six tricks -- two aces and four trumps on a cross-ruff.

A furious dummy whipped out the traveler, examined the results, and shouted at his partner: “You could have made that!”
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#205 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2014-January-13, 06:17

Once I met an "expert" partner on BBO who, with 5-5 in majors, opened 1.

I asked him,"Why don't you show first?"

"I'm planning to rebid 1."He answered.

#206 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 07:33

View Postyunling, on 2014-January-13, 06:17, said:

Once I met an "expert" partner on BBO who, with 5-5 in majors, opened 1.

I asked him,"Why don't you show first?"

"I'm planning to rebid 1."He answered.

I get it.
1H-(P)-P-(X)
1S
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#207 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 14:07

Barnet Shenkin wrote about a hand where he underled an ace against a suit contract when the auction indicated it could well succeed; declarer misguessed with KJxx in dummy and went down as a result. As they were leaving the table, Shenkin heard declarer's partner say, "It's too bad you had to play that hand against a beginner."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#208 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 22:24

View PostGreenMan, on 2014-January-13, 14:07, said:

Barnet Shenkin wrote about a hand where he underled an ace against a suit contract when the auction indicated it could well succeed; declarer misguessed with KJxx in dummy and went down as a result. As they were leaving the table, Shenkin heard declarer's partner say, "It's too bad you had to play that hand against a beginner."

That's awesome. Although on Bridgebase, it's far more likely that the ace underlead was NOT intentional in this regard... and when it works, it's all I can do not to scream!
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#209 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-15, 04:19

My all time favourite one of these was a hand where S opened, I overcalled a weak 2 green v red, partner raised to 3 and the opps declared 5. Declarer's face on seeing dummy was a picture. Dummy had a rather unexpected Kxxx to go with declarer's Jxx, and the first 3 tricks were won by partner's Q, my ace and a spade ruff.

#210 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-January-15, 21:37

Today's occurred when RHO opened 1 and I overcalled 1 and RHO ended up declaring and when dummy came down it had AQxxxx in . My partner (first hand for her as she just sat) typed, "1???" and left. There was nothing wrong with my o/c as it was an 11 pter with 5 to the K and a hand Precision players are happy to open.

#211 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 13:30

A couple of months ago at the club I was trying out a new pd since my usual was away. She told me that she can play just about anything so I said "great! .. 2/1 and UDCA" and we discussed more stuff and just before the session started she said,"Splinter?" and I said, "Of course."

Hand 1) She passes and I opened 1 and she replies 1 and I splinter 4 concerned that she might not play 3 as a splinter there. She doesn't alert and then after about 10 seconds passes me in 4 with two small for support.

After the hand I said that we'd just agreed on splinter and she stated that she doesn't play them after passing first! To which I replied that everyone else does and "just what do you think I had for my 4 call?". She replied," lots of ." She had no answer when I then asked," Then why didn't I open 1 instead of 1?"

This would have been a better story had I done what I should have and placed her entry fee on the table and driven home.

#212 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-16, 15:40

View Postneilkaz, on 2014-January-16, 13:30, said:

This would have been a better story had I done what I should have and placed her entry fee on the table and driven home.

The Club Manager and the other players might not have appreciated that maneuver.

Many years ago, at a Sectional Swiss Team event, I got so annoyed with my partner that I walked out of the event in the middle of the fourth round (of seven) and went home. Neither my teammates nor the Unit Board was very happy with me. I got a one-month suspension by the Unit which applied to all ACBL events.

#213 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-16, 15:49

View PostArtK78, on 2014-January-16, 15:40, said:

I got a one-month suspension by the Unit which applied to all ACBL events.

But it was worth it, right? :)

#214 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-16, 21:47

Many years ago, at a Sectional Swiss Team event, I got so annoyed with my partner that I walked out of the event in the middle of the fourth round (of seven) and went home.
Artk78's action may have been hopeless and stupid but since it isn't a comment, it's off-topic :)

#215 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-16, 22:49

View Postbarmar, on 2014-January-16, 15:49, said:

Actually, it was. Posted Image

Funny thing, later that year the partner of mine who annoyed me so much that I left the tournament got himself suspended. He was at a North American Championship. It was between sessions. He was at a snack bar and some woman lit up a cigarette. He told her that it was a non-smoking area, and asked her to put it out. When she refused, he opened one of those little coffee creamer packages and dumped the contents on her head. As the ACBL has jurisdiction over anything that happens on the playing site at any time during the tournament, he got a one-month suspension.

I believe that he feels that it was worth it also.

#216 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-January-17, 04:39

I wonder if I would get a 1 month suspension for decking somebody too - there are certainly some times when I feel like it.
(-: Zel :-)

#217 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-17, 15:20

The Club Manager and the other players might not have appreciated that maneuver.

Many years ago, at a Sectional Swiss Team event, I got so annoyed with my partner that I walked out of the event in the middle of the fourth round (of seven) and went home. Neither my teammates nor the Unit Board was very happy with me. I got a one-month suspension by the Unit which applied to all ACBL events.

Yes, of course which is one reason I stayed and I only had to suffer watching this LM blow 4 defenses during the rest of the session, 3 of them being beginner errors.

#218 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-31, 02:31

I oversaw a discussion where a bad player was explaining his artificial methods, while a very good player was taking the patience to explain the flaws on the convention or how he calculated odds or whatever, the bad player then started to say some gibberish about how it works, and ended up with this gem: "Let me say it again: My side gains 100% and your side 0%. "

#219 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-31, 02:45

View Postbarmar, on 2014-January-16, 15:49, said:

A while ago I was running an event in which an American visitor was reported to have said to an opponent who had poor tempo consistency: "if you did that where I come from, you'd get knee-capped". I spoke to the visitor, told him it was an inappropriate comment, and asked him to apologise to the player. He asked what would happen if he didn't and I said he would be fined. He thought a little and asked how much the fine would be. I replied that it would be 6 IMPs. "Oh, that would damage the team's score, so I will apologise; if it had just been money it would have been worth paying it", he said.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#220 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-January-31, 03:22

View PostFluffy, on 2014-January-31, 02:31, said:

I oversaw a discussion where a bad player was explaining his artificial methods, while a very good player was taking the patience to explain the flaws on the convention or how he calculated odds or whatever, the bad player then started to say some gibberish about how it works, and ended up with this gem: "Let me say it again: My side gains 100% and your side 0%. "

Hmm, seems that just like johnu and zel, you are reading that post of mine out of context. Better go and read this post again, my answer to them (and now you too.)
My guess is that those who have upvoted your post also misread my answer. :unsure:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users