BBO Discussion Forums: Who thinks BBO forums have gone down hill - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who thinks BBO forums have gone down hill

Poll: Since the introduction of the Water Cooler, do you think BBO Forums has declined (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Since the introduction of the Water Cooler, do you think BBO Forums has declined

1. YES (23 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. NO (21 votes [45.65%])

Percentage of vote: 45.65%

3. YES I would like to explain my reason below (2 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-22, 10:38

I have no idea what to make of the question. It is hard for me to see how the existence of the Water Cooler could affect the quality of, say, the Adv and Expert Class Bridge Thread. And if the deterioration is the existence of WC threads that were deemed uninteresting, then they can just be ignored. I have no interest in golf, so I don't follow golf threads. I don't regard the existence of golf threads as a deterioration, or an advance, in bbo forums.

So the point is?
Ken

#22 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 11:26

I think the point is that people like luke_warm, al_u_card, mike777, hrothgar and yourself were much valued contributors to the bridge topics before the water cooler. OK some of you are still active in the bridge discussions but might have had more time for it without the water cooler distractions. And maybe a few weirdoes even miss the days when I was more active in the bridge discussions.

But I would like to vote for the observation that BBF has deterioated since Dwayne got a relationship and Ron became a father.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 11:31

The quality of BBF has decreased immensely IMO but this has nothing to do with the watercooler.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#24 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 13:12

I agree with cherdano, this has / had nothing to do with the water cooler.

When I joined the forum 2003 the community consisted of only a few active posters and most of them had very high standards in behavior and bridge.
The community has grown since than and it seems logical that a larger community will have a wider range of standards.
IIRC this thread was started when a few active and established poster left because they felt mobbed.

#25 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-August-22, 15:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-August-22, 11:26, said:

I think the point is that people like luke_warm, al_u_card, mike777, hrothgar and yourself were much valued contributors to the bridge topics before the water cooler.

in my case, it's coincidental... i became interested in online poker and my partner of many years remembered she was married *sob*... i simply lost a lot of the fire i once had
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#26 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-August-22, 15:36

View Postluke warm, on 2011-August-22, 15:32, said:

in my case, it's coincidental... i became interested in online poker and my partner of many years remembered she was married *sob*... i simply lost a lot of the fire i once had

:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#27 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-August-22, 15:37

i'd like to think that's true, but it'll take some convincing :)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#28 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-August-22, 16:25

View Postluke warm, on 2011-August-22, 15:32, said:

i became interested in online poker and my partner of many years remembered she was married

A lesson for us all!
Ken

#29 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-August-22, 16:33

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-August-22, 11:26, said:

I think the point is that people like luke_warm, al_u_card, mike777, hrothgar and yourself were much valued contributors to the bridge topics before the water cooler. OK some of you are still active in the bridge discussions but might have had more time for it without the water cooler distractions. And maybe a few weirdoes even miss the days when I was more active in the bridge discussions.

In general, internet forums have a life cycle.
At a certain point in time, many of the topics get exhausted. People aren't nearly as interested in discussing them (yet again)

I do think that the Watercooler had an impact on the general tone on the boards.

Prior to the introduction of the watercooler there were individuals that I didn't respect, but none that I actively despised.
Alderaan delenda est

#30 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-August-22, 17:01

I know in my own case I have often drifted away from the game of bridge for long periods of time, but have always enjoyed the minds of bridge players and thus the Water Cooler has probably kept me more in touch with the game that I normally would be during a time such as this.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#31 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-23, 03:10

As far as I remember, when I joined the forums there were a lot more bidding problems. The most valuable contributors played some form of MOSCITO or forcing pass. Each and every bidding problem was solved by these systems, so it attracted my attention. It was exotic and exciting, and everyone played a different version. We had Luis, Hog, Richard and some others, all playing relay systems, all giving different auctions to the perfect spot.
Also the atmosphere was quite different, I can't remember any flame wars during that time. Where's the time, we didn't even have hand diagrams yet! :)

These days, we see more play/defense problems and ATB's. We have a lot less bidding problems, while the most valuable contributors all play some form of 2/1. Rarely do we see exotic systems. But does that drag down the quality of the forums? Imo it doesn't. We now have new MVC's who act differently than the previous MVC's. They are younger and don't always hold back to insult someone. We had a period with lots of flame wars, but these have been reduced quite a lot, luckily.

What does drag down the quality is imo the fact that the forums are a lot more advertised these days. It attracts way more new forum members than ever before. Many of them ask questions that have already been answered 100 times, some think they've found a perfect solution to something which isn't even a problem, some want to brag with some silly convention,... We also have newcomers annoying people in every possible way: thinking they're smart, random upvotes, suit symbol abuse, annoying fonts, ordering people around, caps lock, you name it. Many of the regular posters (me included, I admit) react to these things, instead of discussing bridge. It's not a bad thing to attract new members, but perhaps some guidance and a good search function would be helpful.

EDIT: another simple example of why guidance or an introduction is necessary: we get lots of questions about vulnerability in hand diagrams when it's equal vulnerability. Apparently many people don't know/realise that pretty much everything in a hand diagram has a meaning.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#32 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-August-23, 03:42

I hate to see posts like those from cherdano and hotshot. I have seen such posts in many online communities over the years and this kind of attitude is purely destructive. "Of course you newbies can never live up to the standards of the originals". Blah and rubbish. I know most of you in this "old circle" are friends now or at least friendly aquaintances. It is seen in the nature of the posts, in the voting system (which imho only helps to cement such ties), and seeing it openly expressed in this way, even in such a low-volume forum, makes my teeth grind.

In most of the online communities where I have seen this I was one of the "old guard". I made it clear then that I thought such views were bad for the community and served only to create divisions. I will say that here too, even when my posts carry no such weight of "experience" in this community. My personal impression is that many of the newer posters (Adam for example [Edit: I meant awm here]) are more polite, more tolerant and provide more useful material than some of the older ones who are often quite short with those who they think are "below" them.
(-: Zel :-)

#33 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-August-23, 13:48

she's my sister
she's my daughter
she's my sister
she's my daughter
she's my sister
she's my daughter
she's my sister
she's my daughter

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#34 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-August-23, 15:38

View Postkenberg, on 2011-August-22, 16:25, said:

A lesson for us all!

oh i didn't say i learned a lesson from it... i don't regret a minute of the 3+ years

#35 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-23, 21:38

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-August-23, 03:42, said:

My personal impression is that many of the newer posters (Adam for example) are more polite, more tolerant and provide more useful material than some of the older ones who are often quite short with those who they think are "below" them.

Adam Meyerson? He is not very new, surely he's been posting here for like 5 years. Or perhaps you meant Adam Kaplan, but he is not very polite :P

I tend to think that people glorify the older days, in every forum I have ever been a part of this has been true. This also seems true when people talk about older generations of sports or games players (even bridge!). I think it is natural to remember the good things and forget the bad ones. I was not one of the originals on BBF, but I came within a year I think, and I do not remember everyone being polite and nice to each other. I mean, hrothgar and the hog were regular posters already :P

I do think the quality of posting was substantially higher as a whole, but perhaps I am guilty of what I said in the previous paragraph. I think when a forum is less well known it is generally going to have higher quality posts because it will be hardcore members who are likely very into the game and very into discussing it since it was hard to find. Those people will also post more often to keep the forum alive. Eventually, it becomes more well known and there are more casual users. This is of course good for a forum, but it causes there to be more fights, lower quality posts (but more volume), etc. Unfortunately I think all of this caused a lot of the posters to leave and not that many people have come to replace them. For a small forum, high volume posters make up a large portion of the posts. I could be wrong but I think there are LESS posts now on BBF than a few years ago (but far more than in the beginning). I think this is an anomaly of what people would play bridge and what people would posts on an internet forum (usually those are conflicting demographics).

A lot of the high volume posters did become largely water cooler only posters when it was created, which also impacted the bridge forums.

#36 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-23, 21:41

And just on a theoretical level, it is quite possible that a smaller/non adverstised forum will be "better" depending on how you define better. Hopefully when it gets bigger, even though there is more noise to filter through, there will be more high quality posts as well. But if the mass influx of noise/flame wars/good off topic forums/whatever causes the good posters to leave and there are not enough people to replace them, then that will lead to a worse forum. It is always impossible to tell what will happen... 2+2 was an interesting case because it was super small before the poker boom then all of the sudden it became one of the biggest forums on the internet, but the strategy sections really suffered a lot (the off topic forums became really good though).

#37 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-24, 03:28

Good point, it depends on how you define "better". If it is attracting attention, then the forums haven't gone downhill at all. However, the quality in posts diminishes when you get large groups of people contributing. Although it's true that the more posters you have, the more chance there is to have some good posts (this is basically an application of the law of large numbers), it brings a lot more noise and the average quality decreases to an average level.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#38 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 14:18

All I know is that it went down hill when I joined.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#39 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 16:46

I feel there is much more emphasis on resulting now than there was in the past.

#40 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-August-24, 17:16

I thought it started going down hill when Michael Jackson died. I'm pretty sure jdonn split shortly after that. Those guys were amazing.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users