Which suit to support first ?

#1 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-May-19, 15:32

As dealer You holds

1NT-2
2-3
I'll tell you my thoughts you tell me yours...
6 would be better then 6 so you might want to bid 3 showing support.
On the other hand, if partner is intrested in game only 4 is your spot and maybe you should bid the "obvious" 3.
Soppose you bid 3 and see partner going for a slam you can jump to 6 and hope for good.
If instead you bid 3 showing support for then if partner bid 3NT you are fine now because 4 must show fit and not a cue.
If on 3 partner bid 4 or 4 then 4 would probebly be a cue (is it ?) but maybe its just fine because if he cue we like slam the slam.
So ill go for 3, agree ?

#2 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 16:33

Flame, on May 19 2007, 04:32 PM, said:

As dealer You holds

1NT-2
2-3
I'll tell you my thoughts you tell me yours...
6 would be better then 6 so you might want to bid 3 showing support.
On the other hand, if partner is intrested in game only 4 is your spot and maybe you should bid the "obvious" 3.
Soppose you bid 3 and see partner going for a slam you can jump to 6 and hope for good.
If instead you bid 3 showing support for then if partner bid 3NT you are fine now because 4 must show fit and not a cue.
If on 3 partner bid 4 or 4 then 4 would probebly be a cue (is it ?) but maybe its just fine because if he cue we like slam the slam.
So ill go for 3, agree ?

Responder's sequence here has the Standard meaning of being a 55 H+D GF hand with interest in slam. My comments are based on this and not valid if you have other meanings for what hand Responder is showing here.

I like 1N-2D+;2H-3D;3H best here given that
a= We are in a GF auction, so we have time to show the double fit in H+D.
b= When both 6H and 6D make, 6H scores better.
(you have not mentioned the conditions of contest.)

3S is also a good bid, but I prefer to
1= confirm we have a 53 fit in H's. Later I will confirm the double fit.
2= have an explicit agreement about what an immediate cue bid in a Black suit here.

When I cooperate by bidding anything other than 3N or 4H, GOP should know that I'm interested in slam as well.

#3 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 16:49

Responder's sequence here has the Standard meaning of being a 55 H+D GF hand with interest in slam.

Where I play, it's 5-4 or better, with slam interest. I also bid 3H, to conserve space.

Peter

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 17:05

I agree with all the 3 bids but none of the reasons leading to them. 3 is 5-4 or better game forcing (although a 2542 with no slam interest would not tend to bother showing the diamonds), so unless/until partner confirms slam interest the first priority is to support hearts. Game before slam. If partner makes any positive move over that (anything but 3NT or 4) we can show our diamond support next and cooperate as appropriate.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#5 User is offline   djehuti 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-May-19, 17:21

I like to play 4 showing double-fit... it would suit this hand fine since we don't even have a club cue. Even if 4!d wasn't discussed, could it be anything else?
Nuno Dâmaso

#6 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 17:34

I agree with all the 3♥ bids but none of the reasons leading to them. 3D is 5-4 or better game forcing (although a 2542 with no slam interest would not tend to bother showing the diamonds), so unless/until partner confirms slam interest the first priority is to support hearts. Game before slam. If partner makes any positive move over that (anything but 3NT or 4♥) we can show our diamond support next and cooperate as appropriate.

Game before slam, but if 3D is truly slam invitational (that's the way I play it, I know others don't), then we're definitely in slam try mode with a double fit.

If you play that 3D can be a 1543 9 count (not wrong, but not my style), then I agree with you.

Peter

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-May-19, 17:54

I do not see 3d alerted as showing slam try and not just game forcing.
I bid 3H for now, esp at MP.

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-May-19, 17:55

djehuti, on May 19 2007, 06:21 PM, said:

I like to play 4 showing double-fit... it would suit this hand fine since we don't even have a club cue. Even if 4!d wasn't discussed, could it be anything else?

Uh lol...a big diamond fit and NOT a heart fit? Why in the world would an undiscussed bid show support for some other suit?

As a technical point, I don't want to show diamond support on hands where we are headed to 4. It will tell the opponent with diamond length he can lead that suit and try to give his partner a ruff or two.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2007-May-19, 18:22

"Responder's sequence here has the Standard meaning of being a 55 H+D GF hand with interest in slam. My comments are based on this and not valid if you have other meanings for what hand Responder is showing here."

If this is the case Foo, how do you show a strong 5-4, or even an ordinary GF hand where 5m may be better than 3NT.
It pays to have a bid here which shows support for both suits. Failing that I bid 3H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   djehuti 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 18:26

Uh lol...a big diamond fit and NOT a heart fit? Why in the world would an undiscussed bid show support for some other suit?

It's a little hard to construct hands where you dont have a spade or club cue,or, it would be rare ,but ok, i think its possible.

From the technical point, ill be loosing some when they do lead a diamond and they do get a ruff, but i think i'll bid my slams a little more accuratly, with 6 RKB and usually knowing where the slam will play best.
Nuno Dâmaso

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2007-May-19, 18:49

"It's a little hard to construct hands where you dont have a spade or club cue,or, it would be rare ,but ok, i think its possible."

You don't even necessarily have to have a cue. You could use one or both of the other bids as artificial responses showing support for both of responder's suits. Klinger uses something similar.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 19:21

3. This is a good minimum, but I don't want to get carried away with it. My club honors may help or they may not. Lets see if pard is slamming 1st. Over 3, I bid 3N, over 4, 4.

If I start with a cue of 3, I tend to deny heart support. If I were to go back to 4 over 4 (say), it sounds like I have Ax.

I'd be curious how those that play transfer extensions would bid this over 3 ('s).
"Phil" on BBO

#13 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 22:41

The_Hog, on May 19 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

"Responder's sequence here has the Standard meaning of being a 55 H+D GF hand with interest in slam. My comments are based on this and not valid if you have other meanings for what hand Responder is showing here."

If this is the case Foo, how do you show a strong 5-4, or even an ordinary GF hand where 5m may be better than 3NT.
It pays to have a bid here which shows support for both suits. Failing that I bid 3H.

Here's a system that allows everything you ask... ...even for Invitational Responders.

1N-Xfer;2M-3m;3M! misfit, min
1N-Xfer;2M-3m;3OM! minor fit, Max
1N-Xfer;2M-3m;3n! misfit, max
1N-Xfer;2M-3m;4m! minor fit, hole in one of Responder's unbid suits
1N-Xfer;2M-3m;4om! Major fit, Max
1N-Xfer;2M-3m;4M! Major fit, min

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2007-May-19, 23:16

I play that this sequence shows specifically 2542, but playing standard this would be only 5+, 4+, Game values or more.

#15 User is offline   BebopKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-19, 23:46

I'm going to say 3 to cue bid my first round controls which I would intend as support of the hearts, I opened 1 NT so my partner is the captain. Partner can choose where to put the contract and how to get there.

BebopKid (Bryan Lee Williams)

"I've practiced meditation most of my life. It's better than sitting around doing nothing."
(Tom Sims, from topfive.com)

#16 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-May-20, 01:01

Not sure how likely 6 is to be better than 6, especially at MP:
- If opps lead a spade and p has the queen, I'd rather play the hand myself so that I can play the queen at trick one and see what happens. If my hand is dummy, declarer may have a tough call deciding on whether to play the ace at trick one. Note that reverse situation in clubs does not exist since there will probably be no option of getting rid of partner's club losers.
- If partner has the king of spades, we have the same losers whether hearts or diamonds is trump.
- If partner has neither K or Q, and we get a spade lead, diamonds and hearts must both play without losers for a timely spade discard on hearts. And it may still fail if diamonds are 4-1.

So I bid 3. 4 to show the double fit is cute, though. Never thought about that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-May-20, 01:36

In these sequences, priority usually goes to showing a heart fit. Otherwise it's gonna be a mess to convince pard you have one... I know that from experience!!!

#18 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-May-20, 02:35

Deleted - somehow double posted.
Kind regards,
Harald

#19 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-May-20, 02:37

Here I play that a direct cue (3/4) accept diamonds and deny heart support. 3 show heart support and deny diamond support, whereas a raise to 4 show support for both suits.

My experience is that this is superior in slam exploring sequences. Showing support for both suits might help opponents defending vs 4.

Without this agreement I'll show my heart support and bid 3.
Kind regards,
Harald

#20 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-20, 04:17

Thanks everyone.
At the table i have bid 3, didnt want to take chances.
3 showing support for could work bad if partner decide to go directly to 5,
yet in many other sequences it can turn out ot be better.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users