• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Generic Title

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-05, 06:13

In this case, it is actually a huge advantage to play with an unfamiliar partner. With an unfamiliar partner you play "All bids are natural, unless we discuss otherwise or it really doesn't make any sense". There hasn't been much time for discussion, so we can remember what was discussed and I am sure that this situation wasn't one of them. :) Therefore the XX is natural and a suggestion to play 2XX.

In a regular partnership, with a lot of agreements (explicit or from experience), partner will start wondering what you might mean with the redouble. If you have discussed this situation, he (or you) will have forgotten and if you haven't, he will start looking for an equivalent type auction. He might find something and add that meaning to your redouble. And you will never be sure what it is.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-05, 10:13

Jlall, on Dec 5 2009, 11:34 AM, said:

what would you think partner would misunderstand it as?

The most likely alternative meaning is extra values without a clearcut bid, but I'm sure that there are other meanings that would be regarded as standard by some people. That doesn't make the redouble particularly dangerous, of course - if partner takes it out you can just get on with bidding your hand.

Redouble does have one risk, though: partner might think it shows rather more in clubs than what we have. I wouldn't want him to play me for AQ109x.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#23 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-05, 10:48

In this sort of position I tend to play:

Pass = either no desire to play in 2 redoubled but no descriptive bid available, or a strong desire to play in 2 redoubled;

Redouble = a suggestion that we play in 2 redoubled;

Bid = no desire to attempt 2 redoubled, showing some additional feature of my hand.

So, I could redouble with this hand but would pass with AQ109x. Partner, of course, redoubles if he wants to play there facing that, or bids naturally otherwise.

With an unfamiliar partner I can't do any of this, nor will I know whether or not I should pass if he redoubles, since I won't know what he intends by that. Since I don't seem to have anything clear to bid, I will pass for the moment and bid 2NT if he does redouble.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#24 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2009-December-05, 10:53

dburn, on Dec 5 2009, 06:48 PM, said:

In this sort of position I tend to play:

Pass = either no desire to play in 2 redoubled but no descriptive bid available, or a strong desire to play in 2 redoubled;

Redouble = a suggestion that we play in 2 redoubled;

Bid = no desire to attempt 2 redoubled, showing some additional feature of my hand.

So, I could redouble with this hand but would pass with AQ109x. Partner, of course, redoubles if he wants to play there facing that, or bids naturally otherwise.

With an unfamiliar partner I can't do any of this, nor will I know whether or not I should pass if he redoubles, since I won't know what he intends by that. Since I don't seem to have anything clear to bid, I will pass for the moment and bid 2NT if he does redouble.

I play that when they double our Stayman. Sensible to apply it here.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#25 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-05, 10:56

X = don't lead C => XX = DO lead clubs! Similar to Rosenkrantz. Yes?

#26 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-December-05, 15:33

gnasher, on Dec 5 2009, 11:13 AM, said:

Redouble does have one risk, though: partner might think it shows rather more in clubs than what we have. I wouldn't want him to play me for AQ109x.

Yes, I agree with this and that is why I was tentative about redoubling when I saw this hand being posted.

When I try to think about it logically though, the "non lead directing double" which presumably could be made on 3 small is so utterly retarded because it's telling us that clubs probably break and also telling us that the opening bidder has few values in clubs. Where do the values rate to be if not with the opening bidder, obv with us right?

So it just seems like we should be exploiting this retarded bid by redoubling with 4 reasonable clubs since partner is such a strong favorite to have pretty strong clubs as well.

Of course if it was a normal lead directing X I would want partner to play us for AQT9x or whatever. But it just seems like logically their double is so dumb, and logically for us to have the same requirements to redouble it is also really dumb.

On top of that, it also seems given the retarded nature of their double it is a gigantic mistake to not play a penalty redouble of it. They're almost literally asking for it lol. But I like to redouble lead directing bids in general, so I'm sure you can imagine how I feel about doubling lead inhibiting doubles...

#27 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-05, 16:03

Doubles of bad bids are penalty. So redoubles of bad doubles are business!
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users