#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-September-20, 12:38

jallerton, on Aug 21 2010, 02:32 AM, said:

North, the dealer opens 1.
East bids 1.  If you ask, East will tell you that he did not see the 1 opener. 
You are called to the table.  What exactly do you say (and to whom)?
[You may assume that East/West play both a 1 opening bid and a 2 overcall of 1 as natural.]
Thank you JAllerton, for opening another can of worms. I doubt that this forum will ever arrive at a consensus as to how the director should deal with an insufficient bid. It is frightening when we realise that we're not discussing how the director should rule -- even in a basic case -- we are simply discussing what he should do when he comes to the table!

I have long argued that such protocols should be part of the law-book itself.

Some legal points raised (e.g. by Gnasher) apply to illegal calls in general and are just as important to players as to directors because they can give a secretary-bird player a decisive edge.

One such point, hardly discussed, is what options either side is allowed to vary their agreements after such an infraction. A simple example:

You've agreed doubles of openers up to 4 are take-out . Suppose LHO opens 4 out of turn. After the director tells him his options, your partner accepts the call and doubles. Simple Bridge logic means this is penalty.
  • Is your normal agreement relevant here?
  • If it would still apply, are you allowed to depart from it?
  • May you base this "change" on common sense without discussion or consultation?
  • May you arrive at this "change" after previous discussion with partner?
  • Does it make a difference whether your local legislature has taken the law-option that bans agreements contingent on an infraction?
  • Arguably, the meaning of this double is obvious. But what about devising with partner a set of conventional meanings for other calls, depending on whether an illegal call is accepted?
IMO: options after an illegal call should be removed. The law should give a player no choice over what penalty/redress to accept (whether as offender or non-offender) .

IMO the law should be: an illegal call is unauthorised information to the offender's partner. It is cancelled and the offending side must pass throughout.

Simple! But there have been many other equally sensible suggestions.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-22, 09:07

nige1, on Sep 20 2010, 07:38 PM, said:

IMO the law should be: an illegal call is unauthorised information to the offender's partner. It is cancelled and the offending side must pass throughout. 

Simple! But there have been many other equally sensible suggestions.

I certainly agree with you that an insufficient bidder should have to make the last call for his side. On the other hand, however, a call out of turn often results in no damage; so there is no good reason to reject "rectification" in all cases.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-September-22, 10:17

This reminds me of the suggested agreement over insufficient bids in a competitive auction that whatever double normally means, a double of an uncorrected bid is for takeout, a double of the corrected one is for penalties.

ie 1-P-1-1-X is for takeout, 1-P-1-1 corrected to 2-X is pens.

Is it legal to do this (EBU land if it matters) and is the inference that you don't have a takeout double type hand if you ask for the bid to be corrected authorised ?

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2010-September-22, 11:45

Cyberyeti, on Sep 22 2010, 05:17 PM, said:

Is it legal to do this (EBU land if it matters) and is the inference that you don't have a takeout double type hand if you ask for the bid to be corrected authorised ?

It is legal, and the inference is authorised, the same as any negative inference in your bidding system.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-September-22, 19:45

Cyberyeti, on Sep 22 2010, 05:17 PM, said:

This reminds me of the suggested agreement over insufficient bids in a competitive auction that whatever double normally means, a double of an uncorrected bid is for takeout, a double of the corrected one is for penalties.

ie 1-P-1-1-X is for takeout, 1-P-1-1 corrected to 2-X is pens.

It does matter. It is legal in the EBU: the legality is not entirely clear in all jurisdictions.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users