• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF Systems Index

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-December-07, 16:25

For a while now I have been collecting threads with useful tidbits on bidding systems, i.e. explanations of specific conventions and treatments or discussion of defenses against various bids and so on. Having just spent an hour stealing some of the forum's style elements (I must say the CSS is incredibly hard to read), I now feel ready to present it to the world at large.

Are you ready? Here it is:

http://bridge.mgoetze.net/bbf.html

Feel free to suggest organisational improvements or to recommend worthy threads for inclusion.

I plan to keep this updated for the moment, so if any moderator finds it useful, feel free to pin this thread.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   l milne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-07, 19:59

Wow. You are my new favourite poster. Awesome.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-08, 03:32

You forgot HEEMAN as a NT structure, you can find an article on my blog with a link to the entire system.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   NickToll 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-08, 04:35

Really brilliant!
Selling is the second oldest profession, often confused with the first.
(Mahan Khalsa)

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 11:04

View PostFree, on 2010-December-08, 03:32, said:

You forgot HEEMAN as a NT structure, you can find an article on my blog with a link to the entire system.

Well, I would have prefered it if you had outlined the system in your article rather than just linking to a PDF, but oh well, I've added it anyway.
Note that your entire blog is linked to at the bottom of the page. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-December-08, 11:45

We could run up several pages on this thread with words of appreciation. It's great!
Ken

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-December-08, 15:29

View Postkenberg, on 2010-December-08, 11:45, said:

We could run up several pages on this thread with words of appreciation. It's great!

votes take less space :)

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 15:39

View Postkenberg, on 2010-December-08, 11:45, said:

Thanks. Actually, I was hoping we could run up several pages with links to threads worthy of inclusion. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 16:08

Good work!

You might want to add a link to Fred Gitelman's articles on improving 2/1: http://www.imp-bridg...cles/2over1.htm

Also Robson-Segal's partnership bidding book (available through Dan Neill's page, but gets enough discussion to maybe be worth a link): http://www.bridgewit...ingAtBridge.ZIP

Mikeh's pinned thread on reverses: http://www.bridgebas...everse-bidding/

While exploring older threads, I noticed that hands which were posted a ways back (i.e. before the updated forums) do not seem to display correctly. This is kind of disappointing because it becomes hard to read some of the older contributions to the forums.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 16:50

Thanks for the suggestions Adam. Actually it has always annoyed me that Dan provides the R-S book as a ZIP file. PDF is a compressed format in the first place... ;) So I have just provided it as a PDF directly.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 20:48

Beautiful. Thank you.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-09, 03:01

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-December-08, 11:04, said:

Well, I would have prefered it if you had outlined the system in your article rather than just linking to a PDF, but oh well, I've added it anyway.
Note that your entire blog is linked to at the bottom of the page. ;)

You can also just add the link to the PDF. :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-December-09, 07:22

Suggestion on defensive bidding:
There were some threads on following up after a double of the weak nt. Eg 1NT-X-2(natural)-X.
I was trying unsuccessfully to find the threads, maybe someone can help.

Has the search function been changed? When I tried to search the General Bridge Forum on weak nt it complained that some of my words were less than four characters long. That also rules out searching on weak no trump. Weak trump gives a lot of results that have nothing to do with weak no trump. I'll go searching if I can figure out how to do it.

At the moment, there are three links to threads on defensive bidding over 1NT. The primary focus is on getting our own suits in, and also the discussion is primarily (although not exclusively) about the strong nt. It's easy to find people to tell you that 1NT(weak)-X should be for penalties. Discussion of what happens next is harder to come by and I hope we can retrieve the forum threads.
Ken

#14 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 07:34

View Postkenberg, on 2010-December-09, 07:22, said:

Has the search function been changed? When I tried to search the General Bridge Forum on weak nt it complained that some of my words were less than four characters long. That also rules out searching on weak no trump. Weak trump gives a lot of results that have nothing to do with weak no trump. I'll go searching if I can figure out how to do it.

You can use google a lot of the forum is available there.

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 09:40

View Postkenberg, on 2010-December-09, 07:22, said:

At the moment, there are three links to threads on defensive bidding over 1NT. The primary focus is on getting our own suits in, and also the discussion is primarily (although not exclusively) about the strong nt. It's easy to find people to tell you that 1NT(weak)-X should be for penalties. Discussion of what happens next is harder to come by and I hope we can retrieve the forum threads.

Well, I think Asptro is mostly used against Weak NT. In any case, I certainly welcome suggestions for good threads on weak NT.

View PosthotShot, on 2010-December-09, 07:34, said:

You can use google a lot of the forum is available there.

This may not be obvious to everyone, so to be more explicit, search for something like "site:www.bridgebase.com weak 1NT". ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-14, 12:27

Switched to a new design - could not resist adding some BBO red ;) - with a navigation bar. Let me know what you think. Please do not report bugs based on ancient browsers (such as IE8).

I have also been adding content lately, but could still use some help. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-14, 14:04

Incidentally, I note someone accessed the site with an iPhone. Unlike Internet Exploder, I am interested in how well that worked. Would it, for instance, be good to leave out the navigation or put it on top rather than to the left for this kind of device?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-14, 14:16

The navigation menu didn't show up at all on iphone. But given the (current) length of the page that didn't seem to be a real issue.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#19 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-14, 15:08

Well, I've made some optimizations for devices that understand "@media handheld" in the CSS, tested with the Opera Mini simulator in "Mobile View" mode. Let me know if there are any problems.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-09, 07:54

Added two recent threads today. Would still appreciate more input on which threads to include (and possibly, which not to include). ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users