BBO Discussion Forums: Are these FG 2 Clubs openings? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are these FG 2 Clubs openings? Or not?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-December-08, 15:04

The first hand could be a choice from three:

A7
KQJ865
AK
K95

This is more likely to be a 2 opening, but then how do you treat it? Do you have a special sequence for this kind of hands?

A6
AKQT98
A6
K75

Finally two which are pretty similar:

AKJT9842
A8
A5

A7
AJ
AKT9xxxx

Can you elaborate why you would/wouldn't consider each of these hands a 2 opening bid? Would the conditions (vulnerability, seat, scoring, partner) affect your decision?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 15:17

The first two hands (with six good hearts and 20 hcp) seem reasonable for 2 openings. One-suited hands usually lead to decent auctions after 2, you have enough points to fear 1 passing out (and missing a game), plenty of defense if you end up defending. You're also likely to have a somewhat awkward sequence after 1-1/1N, either rebidding 3N or 3, both of which consume a lot of space and give only a vague description of the hand.

The third hand you have 4 making opposite partner with xx xxx xxxx xxxx or the like, so opening 2 seems normal.

The last hand is not a 2 opening. You have only 16 hcp (so not enough points to make 2 mandatory). You also don't have game in hand, because game in a minor is eleven tricks and you have nine or ten -- you have no real expectation of making game opposite a yarboro. Further, a 1 opening on only 16 hcp and this long of a suit will virtually never pass out.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-08, 15:46

• A7 KQJ865 AK K95
  • A6 AKQT98 A6 K75
  • AKJT9842 5 A8 A5
  • A7 5 AJ AKT9xxxx
An old criterion was more honour tricks than losers. IMO, however, the first two are too strong in high cards to risk a one bid. The third has only 16HCP but is worth game opposite a balanced Yarborough, so a 2 opener seems reasonable. The fourth might not make game unless partner can reply to 1 and 1 is unlikely to be passed out. Nevertheless, IMO, there is still a tactical case for a 2 opening

#4 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-08, 15:58

We would open the first 3 2c and the last 1c. Our 2C is 19+ and 4-5 losers, 16+ and 4 or fewer losers or a freak. The suit is good enough. The last hand is a minor suit so the hand needs to be better to opne 2C,

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 16:16

Hand 1: I open 2. I hope I have an escape opposite a bust, and if I am playing Kokish I hope I know what it is.

Hand 2: I open 2. It's tempting to try3NT even if partner indicates a bust. But I suppose I will allow a stop in 3.

Hand 3: 2 and I will be in game at least.

Hand 4: 1. I have never figured out how to bid these hands. 5 probably makes as often, or more often, than 3NT. And 6 is certainly possible. But I need something from partner. On shapely hands like this usually everyone gets into the act. I expect to get to 4 on my own if necessary before I shut up.
Ken

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 17:23

I would open 2 on all of them though 1 and 4 are close.

I prefer to play 2 as forcing to game except for a 2NT rebid. Certainly you might wish to stop in 3 on hand 1 if partner has nothing, but it's quite rare that partner has absolutely nothing and he'll never know if the little he does have is useful, e.g. J10x xx xxxx Qxxx vs xxx xx J10xx Qxxx. So I don't think the gain from being able to stop in a partscore outweighs the cost.

#7 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2010-December-08, 22:10

First 2 ones are easy 2 openers.
Third one I open 1, I don't consider to have even close enough defense for 2 opening and I'm not afraid of it being passed out.
4th is hard one, cause I'm lacking good bids after opening 1 but I think I'd have the same problems after 2.
I hope partner responds 1 so I can give fairly good picture of my hand with 3NT.

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-09, 02:45

The first two are easy 1 openings imo, I don't like 2 on these. Opposite a complete bust we'll be down in game.

3rd is an obvious 2, you have 10 tricks all the time except with some unlucky split. You want to be in game opposite a complete bust.

I don't have strong feelings about the 4th hand, I guess I'd probably open 1 but wouldn't mind if someone opened 2.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-December-09, 02:57

yes
yes
yes
no, but there's not much wrong with it

you need more for minors than majors.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 03:11

View Postawm, on 2010-December-08, 15:17, said:

The last hand is not a 2 opening. You have only 16 hcp (so not enough points to make 2 mandatory). You also don't have game in hand, because game in a minor is eleven tricks and you have nine or ten -- you have no real expectation of making game opposite a yarboro. Further, a 1 opening on only 16 hcp and this long of a suit will virtually never pass out.

Without wishing to disagree with what you say, this last point is only part of the issue: the other important question is what your rebid will be, and whether you will be able to adequately describe your hand after, for example, a 1 response.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-09, 05:19

[nonsense deleted]
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-09, 05:20

[duplicated nonsense deleted - maybe I should do something different]
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 05:35

it probably depends on what are your other options / follow ups if you do not open 2.
For me only #3 is an obvious 2. I'll take my chances with 1 on 1&2 (and expect to be able to desribe my hand as I play 2♣ relay/Gazzilli over 1-1x). I would not dream opening #4 anything but 1

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-09, 05:54

View Postnigel_k, on 2010-December-08, 17:23, said:

I prefer to play 2 as forcing to game except for a 2NT rebid. Certainly you might wish to stop in 3 on hand 1 if partner has nothing, but it's quite rare that partner has absolutely nothing and he'll never know if the little he does have is useful, e.g. J10x xx xxxx Qxxx vs xxx xx J10xx Qxxx. So I don't think the gain from being able to stop in a partscore outweighs the cost.

Are you planning to play it in 3NT from the strong hand?

#15 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-December-09, 08:35

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-December-08, 15:04, said:

Can you elaborate why you would/wouldn't consider each of these hands a 2 opening bid? Would the conditions (vulnerability, seat, scoring, partner) affect your decision?

I would consider all of them to be 2 openers. Reason: I firmly belive one should have an upper bound of about 20-21 HCP (or equivalent in playing tricks) on 1-level openers, even if the hand is strongly 1 or 2 suited. This has two advantages:

1. It takes some pressure off responder, who would otherwise feel reluctant of passing 1x on very marginal hands.

2. Makes it easier for responder to evaluate the combined potential when opener is in the top region of 18-21 HCP.

The downside is that it makes 2 openers rather lightish, complicating subsequent bidding. But since those are rather rare openings, even if lighter, the problem shouldn't be too frequent.

#16 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-December-09, 08:43

View Postwhereagles, on 2010-December-09, 08:35, said:

The downside is that it makes 2 openers rather lightish, complicating subsequent bidding. But since those are rather rare openings, even if lighter, the problem shouldn't be too frequent.

But those are the hands where more points can be lost or won, aren't they?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#17 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 08:45

View Postgwnn, on 2010-December-09, 02:57, said:

yes
yes
yes
no, but there's not much wrong with it

you need more for minors than majors.

This gets my vote. Those worrying about going down in game on the first two, need to remember that sometimes you need to take uncomfortable risks where this is not odds averse.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2010-December-09, 09:46

Hand 1 is an obvious 2C opening...if playing Benji. If playing 3 weak 2s then it is close but assuming I have a way to show a strong 1-suiter (such as a 3NT rebid or other artificial call) then I would prefer a 1H opening. If you happen to play Paradox-style responses to 2C, where 2H shows zero tricks opposite hearts, then you have an easy 2C opening and a pass of 2H.

Hand 2 is also 8.5 tricks but now 3NT has play even opposite a balanced bust so 2C (or Benji 2D) seems to be the best description.

Hand 3 is an obvious 2C (Benji 2D).

Hand 4 is not a 2C opening for me. Game is not there and the bidding is unlikely to die in 1C. Again, playing Benji this would be a clear 2C opener.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-December-09, 10:14

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-December-09, 08:43, said:

But those are the hands where more points can be lost or won, aren't they?

Either
- you open 2 and live with the loss of bidding space, OR
- open 1x and guess to underbid/overbid at bid 1 (as responder) or guess (as opener) whether to go for slam after responder's 2nd bid.

In any case you'll have guesswork to do. The only way to bid those hands more intelligently is to play a different system, like strong club or relays.

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 19:32

Play Romex. Then you can open them all 1NT. :ph34r:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users