• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are these FG 2 Clubs openings? Or not?

#21 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-09, 20:26

1. 1. I think its extreme and misleading to call this a balanced 22-23, but some would.

2. Can I 2 - 2 - 3N with a hand like this?

3. Completely obvious 2 opener.

3. Completely obvious 1 opener.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-10, 20:36

1- I prefer to open 1 playing gazilli otherwise 2 . Even if pd response to 1 it will be messy without gazilli.My pd opens this 2

2- Definetely 2 for me, as Phil said 3 NT looks more appealing than 4.

3- 2, but we have to let partner know we opened it with tricks instead of loaded hcps. I open 2 and bid 4 over 2.

4- To me this is 1. I like the low path when suit is minor.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   ewleongusa 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-19, 15:05

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-December-08, 15:04, said:

The first hand could be a choice from three:

A7
KQJ865
AK
K95

This is more likely to be a 2 opening, but then how do you treat it? Do you have a special sequence for this kind of hands?

A6
AKQT98
A6
K75

Finally two which are pretty similar:

AKJT9842
A8
A5

A7
AJ
AKT9xxxx

Can you elaborate why you would/wouldn't consider each of these hands a 2 opening bid? Would the conditions (vulnerability, seat, scoring, partner) affect your decision?

A strong 2C bid is defined as a balanced 22+ or a suit oriented hand that can take at least one trick below game on your own with about four defensive tricks. The first two hands are not a strong 2C bid. Clearly, if partner could contribute one trick for you game would not be cold.
If fact, in many cases you would need a little luck. However, if partner has a minimum response game would be more or less cold.
The third hand qualifies for a strong 2C bid because if you would expect to make at least nine tricks in spades.
The fourth hand doesn't qualify for a strong 2C bid because you can't make at least ten tricks in clubs on your own.

Eric Leong

#24 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-December-19, 16:08

Clear 2 on the first three. Clear 1 on the last IMO.

No rebid problems on the first two, and the third is just a powerhouse.

The fourth has no fear of being passed out in 1, and isn't enough for a 2 opening anyway.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#25 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-December-19, 16:30

I would open all of them at the 1-level unless I was playing Acol 2s (2H - 2S neg - 2NT on both the first two, a 2NT opening with a 6-card heart suit).

If I had no way of showing a forcing 3M rebid after 1M - 1NT I might think differently, but I do, so I don't.
I play 2C as game forcing (other than 2C - 2D - 2NT) and the heart hands are not worth driving to game opposite nothing.

The closest to a 2C opening is the spade hand which clearly is worth game, but it is sufficiently light on high cards that 1S feels more descriptive.

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-19, 17:00

In Romex, the first two qualify for a 1NT opening (4-5 losers, 18-21 HCP, 6+ controls), the other two would be opened at the one level.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-22, 05:54

Some interesting differences of opinion.
For the first 2 hands I can't envisage making game if partner passed a 1 open, so as that is my definition of a 2 bid then these open 1. Any seat or vulnerability. You must have a GF continuation, though (I start with Gazzilli and if partner just signs off, bid game).

The third I would open 2 to avoid missing game, and all I want to know is whether partner has any tricks for the slam, so 2 is perfect. I would also open 2 if the J was the 3.

The last hand would have me going into a trance for a while. I don't like 2 because I don't want to force to the 4 level, I don't like a gambling 3NT because partner will undoubtedly bid 4, so I will open 1, and see where it goes.

#28 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2010-December-22, 15:26

1st and 2nd hand: 1 unless you play 2 as GF or a semiforcing in a major.

3rd hand: This I would open 2. I have game in my hand.

4th hand: Okay 4 is no game but 9.5 tricks is too much for 1 so I open two.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#29 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-24, 22:28

First hand is clear cut case, second one...ok depends on style; i would open 2C but then again thats me:). Fourth one is obviously not u lack both tricks and strength. Thrid one is not 2C opening; why not? because u hand lacks defence. U have 2 outside aces, what do u do when prd dbls 5H bid advocating weak hand and warning u not to bid anymore.?
Third hand is 1C opening and fourth hand is textbook namyats some sort.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users