Spades.

#21 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-16, 06:32

View Post655321, on 2010-December-14, 02:32, said:

Agree with rogerclee, disagree with others.

If I also agree with rogerclee, then you just created a paradox! That's very dangerous you know.

Luckily I disagree :P 3 unless that's preemptive.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#22 User is offline   mike gill 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-December-16, 14:15

I would bid 2. I'm finding it hard to construct hands without the hK where partner passes 2 and game is good (I guess KQJT xx AQxx xxx, but partner's spade quality is really important because of overruffs, and the dK could be off). Meanwhile I'm finding it very easy to construct normal takeout doubles where game is just silly (Kxx xx AKTx QJxx).

#23 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-December-16, 15:32

To me, an obvious 2 call. Before I read the responses to the opening post, I thought that this would have been an LOL. Obviously not.

I would expect a hand like this for a 2 bid opposite a takeout double. Given the dreck that passes for takeout doubles today, this is a normal 2 response.

#24 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-December-16, 20:39

Originally I rotated the hand for ease of presentation. I was extremely unhappy with my bidding on this hand, but still considered it to be a problem... Anyway, West has the QJx, and East has everything else... So 4 was down 1.

Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#25 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-16, 22:54

well, it rather looks like you would have made 4S from the north side then unless east leads his singleton trump.

wrong-siding it by cue-ing 2H was rather predictable. you've got 5 spades - i wouldn't think you needed a dialogue to select the strain.

personally i think 2 is an underbid. I'd bid 3 or 4, though to be fair, I don't play the same style of take-out doubles espoused on here.

#26 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-17, 16:53

Decent red game at IMPs (especially from North) with the opening bid but notice there isn't a lot wasted, and we have a nine card fit.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#27 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-17, 19:14

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-13, 23:00, said:

Restart discussions about the American vs European versions interpretations of 3 please. Even if I played 3 to be 5 spades + an invite, I can't believe this is the right hand for it.

Can you build a hand for partner that you don't like your chances in 4S? I tried and failed without constructing an awful takeout hand.

Will partner raise you or even make a try with

QJxx
x
AJxx
Kxxx

Guess Adam beat me to it by posting the actual hand haha. Well as mentioned, its still a good game, and assuming u start by cashing a high spade from P hand and catching a stiff J or Q, which seems at least a little likely, then u avoid the spade loser.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#28 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-17, 20:44

View Postrduran1216, on 2010-December-17, 19:14, said:

Can you build a hand for partner that you don't like your chances in 4S? I tried and failed without constructing an awful takeout hand.

OK I'm timing myself....

Kxx xx Axxx AJxx

That took 20 seconds. Yeah I can come up with some hands where game is good, but in most cases partner is moving over 2.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#29 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-17, 20:48

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-17, 20:44, said:

OK I'm timing myself....

Kxx xx Axxx AJxx

That took 20 seconds. Yeah I can come up with some hands where game is good, but in most cases partner is moving over 2.

Well I'm old fashioned, so take a diamond away and replace with a spade. Still not good, but I'd say this hand will make 4S most of the time in this set up.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-18, 04:54

View Postrduran1216, on 2010-December-17, 19:14, said:

Will partner raise you or even make a try with

QJxx
x
AJxx
Kxxx

He probably should do. If you would make a takeout double on QJxx xx AJx Kxxx or QJxx xxx AJx KQx, you have to bid more when you're dealt a traditional takeout double.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-18, 11:41

View Postgnasher, on 2010-December-18, 04:54, said:

He probably should do. If you would make a takeout double on QJxx xx AJx Kxxx or QJxx xxx AJx KQx, you have to bid more when you're dealt a traditional takeout double.

Right so this becomes an agreement thing. I would never EVER make a takeout dbl with the last one, and if partner is unpassed I'm not doubling with the first either. Makes hand evaluating a bit easier, and u just have to use judgement when balancing. Playing OBAR keeps us from being in trouble. So if it goes 1H p 2H partner is expected to bid 2S with that hand, and now I can raise after.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#32 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-25, 16:12

2S is obvious i think. We dont yet know much bout pards hand. He/She may be keeping bidding alive with some sort of 3 suiter or he/she may have some strong hand with or without spades; too good for just an overcall on first round. Its true that our hand cant be much better for 2S bid, but it aint too strong for it either. If there is something else to do in this hand prd will keep on bidding; and there is bonus possibility that opps will keep on bidding they H...slurppp:)

#33 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-25, 19:16

I think people bidding 2 on a style where it is allowed to have 5 cards are underbidding, because the 4th heart is very powerful card.

If partner happens to have 4 spades and we can avoid overruffs, even if partner has 2 hearts it will be very similar to having a 7222 shape opposite 12-14 balanced with 2 spades. And that kind of hand makes game with much less than 24 HCP combined.

Maybe those are too many ifs, but there is also the possible bonus of a stiff heart in partners hand.

#34 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-29, 12:42

I think both 2 and 4 are fine, depending on how aggressive your takeout doubles are. 3 as anything but preemptive makes no sense to me. How many invitational bids do you need?

I mean .. assuming 2 is 9-11ish, and you are going to bid 4 with any opening hand (or 2 with a good hand but 4card suit) .. then when would you ever want to bid 3?

Unless of course you have a bad hand with six spades and want to jam the auction.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#35 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2010-December-30, 04:36

2 then 3 would have shown the hand I think. Bidding 4 over 2 would show a perfect hand like:

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users