• You cannot reply to this topic

Out of Sync - II

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-30, 13:28

Have at it.

Wow - more FP discussion coming up - what fun!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-30, 13:44

I blame East.

When they preempt, you never play partner for a yarborough if they pass. 4432 shape and 6 working HCP is not much better than what West will play East for if he passes 4. I would normally pass with West at any other vul, but red against green at IMPs or equal at matchpoints I agree with 4.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-December-30, 14:25

I think East was way too aggressive, with the Qx in diamonds, the weak hearts, the short (in context) spades and the overall weak hand (he should not be valuing his diamonds at all...they are negative values, not positive).

That doesn't mean that East caused the result...it remains to be seen what happens next, had he passed. I assume West would double, imperfect tho his hand is....I hate that second diamond x. That moves the spotlight back to East, and while we can all see that passing now is 'best', I'm not so sure it would be had we not seen partner's hand....move that second diamond in West's hand to the heart suit.

I agree that, after the actual double, West has a close decision....but he should be entitled to play East for a more suitable hand than he had, and at this heat, settling for +300 or even 500 would seem to be too conservative, I think. Imagine East with AJxx xxxx x Qxxx as an example.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-30, 14:35

definitely east. Dbling 4D is outrageous IMO
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-30, 16:21

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-30, 13:28, said:

Have at it.
Wow - more FP discussion coming up - what fun!
Agree with everybody that East overbid slightly. The Q makes little contribution except at at face-to-face bridge, where you can double, close your hand and switch-off your hearing-aid :). An interesting follow-up: what should West bid, if East passes 4 instead of doubling?

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-30, 17:00

View Postnige1, on 2010-December-30, 16:21, said:

Agree with everybody that East overbid slightly. The Q makes little contribution except at at face-to-face bridge, where you can double, close your hand and switch-off your hearing-aid :). An interesting follow-up: what should West bid, if East passes 4 instead of doubling?

We had discussed it, and both agreed that West would probably double. Especially against this pair that bids that heads off. Unfortunately we also both agreed that east would then bid 4?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-30, 17:43

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-30, 17:00, said:

We had discussed it, and both agreed that West would probably double. Especially against this pair that bids that heads off. Unfortunately we also both agreed that east would then bid 4?

West is close to not making the second double and East is close to passing it. Also, 4 or 4 is quite close to making. For me, that's enough to file it in the 'too hard/bad luck' basket.

#8 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-31, 07:55

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-30, 17:00, said:

Maybe I'm resulting but I don't think that east should pull a second double to 4. Bidding a very bad 4 card suit so often goes wrong. Perhaps partner only has three. Or perhaps he has four, but RHO turns up with some very annoying holding like QJxx. The 10-9 helps in some scenarios though, but having KT9x or something would be a very different thing.
Michael Askgaard

#9 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2010-December-31, 08:08

This is not an easy decision for East, but I think it's a close pass. 4 will not make, but 4 needs quite a lot.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-December-31, 11:46

in this situation the responsive dbl needs to have 44 majors, otherwise it gets too hard.

#11 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-31, 15:53

Completely agree that the resp x here has just gotta be 4-4. I think E has easy pass over 4. W should x again, E should then probably bid 4, but it's close. It really is a pretty bad hand. All blame goes to N for the 4 bid.

#12 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-31, 16:16

View Postbftboy, on 2010-December-31, 15:53, said:

Completely agree that the resp x here has just gotta be 4-4.

Don't agree with that at all. You can't afford to wait until you have 44 in the Majors before making a responsive double, you will miss out on too many good scores. Unless you mean that if East wants to make a responsive double without having enough values, he should at least have ideal shape, doubling with insufficient values and without perfect shape has to be bad, I agree with that.

And as many posters have noted, even if East makes the normal pass we are still not out of the woods, it is possible to construct auctions leading to the same -200.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-31, 18:53

Yes, the responsive doubler just has to be willing to hear his partner bid a four-card major. He might do that with AQx KQxx xx xxxx, planning to pass 4, or with Ax KQxx xx Qxxxx, planning to convert 4 to 5.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-01, 08:17

Suggesting the responsive dble hand must be at least 4-4 majors is really foolish. Assume E had AJx AQx xxx xxxx do we pass? On the posted hand E just wanted to bid something thinking they were getting robbed. As it happens N knew his LHO had the bidding bug and sucked him in.

#15 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-01, 09:06

View PostGerben42, on 2010-December-31, 08:08, said:

This is not an easy decision for East, but I think it's a close pass. 4 will not make, but 4 needs quite a lot.

Somehow I think the Q creates an optical illusion of value. Change the East hand to

AJ2
T932
J653

and I think it is easier to pass. Now contrast the original EW hands with

WEST
KQ64
AK2
AQ74

EAST
AJ2
QT93
J653

where only the Q and the Q have moved. While far from cold a 4 call is within the realm of a reasonable contract.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users