• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative Response

#21 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-February-13, 16:53

Three of the things that make Acol Acol are 4-card majors, limit bidding and light 2/1s. A fourth is strong twos, although personally I think you can play Acol without playing strong twos but I don't think you can abandon the other things. NT strength can be whatever you agree it to be (originally Acol was a strong NT, then a variable NT).

In one partnership our system doesn't have a name, the top of the card just says "5-card majors, Acol-style 2/1s"

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-13, 17:56

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-February-12, 17:10, said:

If 2/1 promises a rebid, what should the 'Acol' player call their system.

I'll leave it for them to decide - as I said, I've never met such a player.

The whole "2/1 promises a rebid" concept is in my mind a standard American thing, though there may be other strong NT systems that define their 2/1s the same way.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-14, 10:11

Had an incident this weekend where opponents had on their card "reverse benji", so they opened 2. Partner bid 2, I looked at the "system description" on their card and gave the explanation as for the brand of randomness we play over strong bids, had a pile with a 6 card suit, bid 3, played there and then discovered that what they actually played was that 2 was strong, or a weak 2 in diamonds, prominently on the front of the convention card under "bits of system opps should note" but under the bidding box as I looked at it.

I said "That's not reverse Benji then, so don't call it that". Opinions ?

#24 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-14, 10:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-February-14, 10:11, said:

Had an incident this weekend where opponents had on their card "reverse benji", so they opened 2. Partner bid 2, I looked at the "system description" on their card and gave the explanation as for the brand of randomness we play over strong bids, had a pile with a 6 card suit, bid 3, played there and then discovered that what they actually played was that 2 was strong, or a weak 2 in diamonds, prominently on the front of the convention card under "bits of system opps should note" but under the bidding box as I looked at it.

I would certainly consider that MI, the rest of the card not withstanding. What did they have under the "2C opening bid" line on the front of the card (which is the correct place for this), or wasn't it an EBU 20B card?

Matt

#25 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-February-14, 10:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-February-14, 10:11, said:

Misinformation, what ever the rest of the card says.

[pompous]
Telling opponents what to do tends to get their backs up and TD's start reaching for their orange DP forms.

Better would be:
"That's not reverse Benji then, we'd better have the TD."
TD "What seems to be the problem"
"They opened 2C = strong or weak with diamonds, but their card says reverse Benji"
TD "Does it give the correct explanation on the card"
"Yes, but the top of the card says reverse Benji"
TD "OK that is misinformation, I will consider if you have been damaged"
TD to opponents "That's not reverse Benji: so don't call it that" :)
[/pompous]
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#26 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-14, 12:22

Was at a match played privately so no TD, and I was a bit more polite than that, but can't remember the exact phrasing.

I think the opps were embarrassed, because they could certainly have done my partner for his pass of 3 (which is nat/F over his natural 2 overcall). Would have ended up as a directorial mess. Will post this in separate thread as is actually mildly interesting.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users