• You cannot reply to this topic

atb - any?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-September-01, 01:09

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 01:29

South bid freely at the 3 level which shows extra values (with a minimum hand, south must pass). All north did was take preference from there, the same that they would do with a 5242 6 count! North has to show a 3 card limit raise by *jumping* on the next round of the auction.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 02:48

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-01, 01:29, said:

South bid freely at the 3 level which shows extra values (with a minimum hand, south must pass). All north did was take preference from there, the same that they would do with a 5242 6 count! North has to show a 3 card limit raise by *jumping* on the next round of the auction.

This, and in fact with AK/A and 3 trumps I think you're close to doing more than this, give partner Qx/x or even xx/x rather than Q/xx in the pointies and slam isn't bad given that the points are probably where you want them.

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 02:57

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-01, 01:29, said:

This. North was probably planning on making a limit raise before the interference. Time to accept for partner who has shown strength enough to accept a limit raise.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   Porreankel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 06:26

I agree with the above. For the same reasons :-)

Responders 2nd bid is often where things go wrong.

http://bridgetime.org/

#6 User is offline   vuroth 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 07:04

Agree. With a minimum opener, south passes over 2 I think. Opposite anything but a minimum opener, north wants to be in 4
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 07:21

North probably thought it was analogous to the uncontested auction
1-1
3-3
which is stronger than 4 because we are in a game force.

But here, South's 3 is not forcing. It is what South will have to bid with 15-17 points. With a GF hand, South would have to cuebid, or maybe double or a jump.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-September-01, 09:09

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-September-01, 07:21, said:

1-1
3-3

Even on this uncontested auction I would play 4 as the limit raise (and presumably partner doesn't pass with his game-force-opposite-a-six-count). You need 3 as possibly just a preference with 2 hearts, so it can't be stronger than 4.

#9 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 13:08

North has a full opening hand and his partner has shown extras. The combined hands are one ZP short of 6 (well, modified ZPs since I'm subtracting a point for 5-3-3-2 based on Tysen's work). Change the J South for the Q and you're good to go.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-01, 14:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-September-01, 07:21, said:

1-1
3-3

I am also in the camp of playing 4 as a limit raise 3 card hand as semeai said. I hate the fast arrival rule here. 3 should be flexible and responder should be available to make this bid with only 2 for obvious reasons and not neccesarilly showing a good/better hand than 4.

Same goes for me if the auction was

1--1NT
3m--3 vs 4 but here it is easier for us because we dont play 1M-2M constructive. Thus i can not have a hand which bids 1NT with 3 card fit unless it has 10-12 hcp. 4 is limit while 3 is 2 cards and not sure what game we can play.

You can apply the same logic over 1 response too, 1 response with 3 card fit, showed some strength upto some degree, since he could raise right away with weaker hands, or his later 2 bid will never be recieved as a real support. But overall this is just a style matter, some think 3 card fit with less than 8 hcps can be delayed or hidden and there is no problem with that. I just dont like it, although i have to admit that style (constructive 1M-2M) is hard for opponents when the 3 card fit is given after 1 or 1NT response, because opponents are less keen to balance since they also don't know if u have a fit or playing on a prefered of 2 suits.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-September-01, 14:07

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-01, 14:00, said:

I am also in the camp of playing 4 as a limit raise 3 card hand as semeai said. I hate the fast arrival rule here. 3 should be flexible and responder should be available to make this bid with only 2 for obvious reasons and not neccesarilly showing a good/better hand than 4.

jlall disagreed with this. I am trying to find the post where he explained why.

http://www.bridgewin...er-a-jump-shift here most people agreed with MrAce and semeai.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-September-01, 15:18

jlall > bridgewinners obv :P

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-01, 16:02

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-01, 15:18, said:

jlall > bridgewinners obv :P

:D Good one !
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 16:05

What happened to a 3 cue?

Partner should assume this is in support of but since we do this often, my pard will allow me room to clarify that it's 's.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users