Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Double dummy solver Link temporarily down

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-01, 11:11

There is no subforum for threads relating to third party (ie non-BBO) software that interfaces with BBO, but this seems to be the most closely appropriate one so here goes.

For the benefit of fans of Bob Richardson's Double Dummy Solver (of Bridge Captain fame), you may have noticed that the link for downloading from MyHands has broken (again) recently. The author knows about it and is fixing it in the next release. I just thought I would mention it to save you the trouble of email-bombing him.
Watch out for the next release, by the way. Not quite ready for release yet but have seen a sneak peak and my love for it grows.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-01, 11:36

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-01, 11:11, said:

There is no subforum for threads relating to third party (ie non-BBO) software that interfaces with BBO, but this seems to be the most closely appropriate one so here goes.

For the benefit of fans of Bob Richardson's Double Dummy Solver (of Bridge Captain fame), you may have noticed that the link for downloading from MyHands has broken (again) recently. The author knows about it and is fixing it in the next release. I just thought I would mention it to save you the trouble of email-bombing him.
Watch out for the next release, by the way. Not quite ready for release yet but have seen a sneak peak and my love for it grows.

Your welcome (I remember at first when I suggested the DDsolver to you about a year ago, you were not that thrilled initially). Since you have seen the preview of the new version, did they "fix" the problem when a hand got a N/A in tournament. The reason I ask it that crashes the download. I reported that bug to them long ago, and they said it would be fixed in the next version. I hope this is the case.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-September-01, 12:21

View Postinquiry, on 2011-September-01, 11:36, said:

Your welcome (I remember at first when I suggested the DDsolver to you about a year ago, you were not that thrilled initially). Since you have seen the preview of the new version, did they "fix" the problem when a hand got a N/A in tournament. The reason I ask it that crashes the download. I reported that bug to them long ago, and they said it would be fixed in the next version. I hope this is the case.

It is on my to-do list to check up on that. Trouble is I need to know what ID/period combination to download so as to ensure that it contains an N/A or Ave+/- adjustment, to check it, and that is a bit hit and miss.

One bit that i like is that at long last it shows the number of over/undertricks predicted for each potential play of the cards, rather like GIB does but Deep Finesse never did (and version 6 of this software doesn't do)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-01, 13:31

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-01, 12:21, said:

It is on my to-do list to check up on that. Trouble is I need to know what ID/period combination to download so as to ensure that it contains an N/A or Ave+/- adjustment, to check it, and that is a bit hit and miss.

an easy way to check. Go the bbo list of recent tourneys. Here is a link to recent bbo ACBL events Just click on hand record from the page and go to the last hand in the tourney. Find a player who got N/A and try the search on that. If there was no assigned in that tourney, go to the next one. The odds are very good you will find a N/A on the last board in any ACBL tournament you check.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-September-01, 13:48

Thanks for the tip.

Seems to be fixed.

At least fixed in an acceptable manner. At least the download no longer hangs. It treats an uncompleted hand as passed out, for zero IMPS or 50% of the MPs, although helpfully it does display the auction to date as it happened at the table. There is of course no "right" answer to how the history of the hand is displayed, but I agree that crashing the download was a major pain.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-September-20, 23:27

Version 7 is now up:
http://www.bridge-ca...downloadDD.html

Some interesting features:
Link to MyHands restored
Adjusted scores in MyHands no longer crashes the download
DD result including number of overtricks/undertricks specified for each legal card.
And some features as shown on the download site.

You may want to check back at the site in a week or two for maintenance releases. In particular the help files remain under development (especially non-English files).
You may want to read the help files where they apply to the filter system in the scoreboard, before you dive into filtering.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users