Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reverse Drury

#1 User is offline   Deevan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-December-03, 18:22

I have played a variation of Reverse Drury with some partners that is sometimes referred to as "3-way Reverse Drury". The Passed Hand bids 2C=8-11 HCPs with 4 card support; and 2D= 10-11 HCPS with a 3 card support for the Opener's Major Suit (3rd/4th hand). It appears to be more effective than the "normal" 2-way R.Drury. I have 2 questions: (1) Is there a detailed write-up available on the 3-way R.DRURY? (2) How useful do you find the Reverse Drury? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-03, 21:10

Reverse Drury, which reverses the original meanings of the 2 and 2M rebids so that 2M is the weaker response, is much better than the original. Two-way Drury is better than simple Drury because it distinguishes between responder's three and four card trump holdings. Put them together, it's Two-way Reverse Drury, and it works pretty well.

I'm not familiar with this "Three Way Reverse Drury" thing. An expert friend of mine did teach me this:

2: 6 - 12- with four trumps
....2: full opening bid, game interest
........2M: 6-9-, four trumps, opener can pass now.
....2M: no game interest

2: 9+ - 12-, three trumps
.....2M no game interest
.....2NT full opener, game interest

There are some holes here, of course. It's been a while since I've played it, and my memory isn't what it used to be. My expert friend didn't have a name for this (I think he picked it up in Toronto). I called it "Reverse Two-Way Reverse Drury". :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-06, 18:32

Nah, "inverted two-way reverse drury". At least that's what I played before.

I find the ability to show 4-card support immediately rather than later less useful than being able to show a max pass with actual, real diamonds; so I only play one-way. And get to play my 3-1 diamond fit instead of my 5-4 spade fit on a regular occasion...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-07, 13:30

Surely there is more than enough room if all the hands are in the 2 response. And who knows, maybe you will pick up a hand with some diamonds and want to bid 2 natural? If playing a weak 2 opening, I would definitely play 2 natural and use 2 as Drury though it is a bit cramped in that case.

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-07, 13:59

If it's of any interest, there's "Lawrence Drury". 2 and the 2M response mean the same thing as in reverse Drury, but opposite opener's 2 (full opening), responder shows what kind of raise he has: 2 is decent 3 card (or bad 4 card) support, 2 is max (HCP-wise) with 3 cards, and 2NT is 4 cards, decent raise or better. Not super well-defined but it conveys the same information.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-07, 14:11

Not a fan of any form of Drury that reveals responder's trump length.

I kind of need 2 as a PH to show diamonds since we play Flannery. But I prefer a range of about 8-11(-).

Bridge karma was served when we had the auction pass - pass - 1 - pass - 2N (clubs) and the opponents called the treatment 'weird'. They lost the tie-breaker to us :P.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users