• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introductions and the Like

#141 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-15, 11:31

View Postgwnn, on 2016-June-10, 01:46, said:

Don't want to start a new thread about this but you will see a lot less of me in the next few months than usual. The forums are great (there's little denying that the level is decreasing in time but I still think they're great) and a little drama never hurt anyone. But I simply don't want to be a bridge forumer who is doing biophysics on the side. I don't think it's normal to know all the major fights between forum posters and roughly when they happened and where they all align politically when I don't know the first thing about several aspects of my own scientific field. To be fair, one where I'm still only been immersed for about half a year, but the amount of effort I spend there as opposed to here is skewed. I will occasionally pop in but I will not post. I will come back when I feel I know more about the 20 amino acids than the 20 best defenses to 1NT.

If there's anything urgent, you can PM me here or on youtube (tgwnn). I will log in at least once a year so as not to lose my rights on BBF indies which would truly be a shame.

:(

You'll do great! See you around.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#142 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 21:35

:lol: :lol:

Myself with Jack Zhao

#143 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-11, 04:31

new job. principal statistician at dpt of conservation in nz!

will be calculating the standard deviation of the size of kiwi eggs and such :)

This is really a dream job, at least I think so :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#144 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-11, 04:38

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-April-11, 04:31, said:

new job. principal statistician at dpt of conservation in nz. will be calculating the standard deviation of the size of kiwi eggs and such

Sounds like the perfect job for Easter! ;)

Are the effects of Brexit so bad that you had to leave the UK?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#145 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-11, 05:25

Hope the new job and change of scene are challenging and fun for you Helene.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#146 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-April-14, 17:20

Congrats on the new job!
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#147 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-16, 02:13

Since people seem to announce moves on this thread, I will mention that my wife (Elianna -- another sometimes forum poster) and I are moving to Zurich, Switzerland in a week (June 26). I'm still working for Google (just switching teams/offices); we are hoping to have some fun exploring Europe with many fascinating places within range of a weekend trip! We should have some time for bridge in our new home, and will also play the occasional NABC (we already have events lined up for fall in San Diego). Elianna will be taking some time off from work to decompress from her very stressful teaching job, and may find more time for bridge playing (and/or knitting, her other favorite hobby).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#148 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-16, 10:25

View Postawm, on 2017-June-16, 02:13, said:

Since people seem to announce moves on this thread, I will mention that my wife (Elianna -- another sometimes forum poster) and I are moving to Zurich, Switzerland in a week (June 26). I'm still working for Google (just switching teams/offices); we are hoping to have some fun exploring Europe with many fascinating places within range of a weekend trip! We should have some time for bridge in our new home, and will also play the occasional NABC (we already have events lined up for fall in San Diego). Elianna will be taking some time off from work to decompress from her very stressful teaching job, and may find more time for bridge playing (and/or knitting, her other favorite hobby).

That is exciting news. What a good time in your lives to be doing this.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#149 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-June-16, 16:46

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-April-11, 04:38, said:

Are the effects of Brexit so bad that you had to leave the UK?

No they haven't kicked me out yet but I do have a thanks-for-all-the-fish feeling and obviously NHS funding and research grants are getting scarcer. The UK govt doesn't want foreigners and that's ok. We can pay our taxes elsewhere.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#150 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-22, 14:56

View Postawm, on 2017-June-16, 02:13, said:

Congratulations!

#151 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-June-22, 20:59

I guess its appropriate I also let you all know about my move too.

After spending 29 years in California, I received an offer to join the PMO for Toyota as part of their move to Plano, TX. The kids have all flown the nest, so Kimi and I bought a home in Frisco.

My first tourney will be with Mr Ace in San Antonio in a few weeks. He is being kind enough to play my utterly impossible system. Other than that, I do not have any live partners in the Dallas area yet. I do miss my so-cal bridge friends however.

We live on a golf course and my morning ritual is mocking the hackers on the 1st hole before I go to work.

I can handle the heat and humidity without incident. The bugs are a different story - the critters seem to have followed a shorter path through evolution than the ones we had in California.

The cost of living here is ridiculously cheap and our home would cost 3-4x in Orange County.

I doubt I will adjust to the politics here, and I predict I will get into a fist fight with some redneck within my first year over their obsession with guns. There is more culture shock for me moving to Texas than I had moving to California from Missoula, Montana in 1987. At least once a day, one of us will get cut off by a large pickup truck as we scurry around in our electric cars. No problem, we kick it out of ECO mode and return the favor.

I am shopping for a set of steer horns for one of the electric cars which I think would be awesome. I may also get a set of chrome testicles below the rear license plate frame.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#152 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-June-22, 22:34

View PostPhil, on 2017-June-22, 20:59, said:

I guess its appropriate I also let you all know about my move too.

After spending 29 years in California, I received an offer to join the PMO for Toyota as part of their move to Plano, TX. The kids have all flown the nest, so Kimi and I bought a home in Frisco.

My first tourney will be with Mr Ace in San Antonio in a few weeks. He is being kind enough to play my utterly impossible system. Other than that, I do not have any live partners in the Dallas area yet. I do miss my so-cal bridge friends however.

We live on a golf course and my morning ritual is mocking the hackers on the 1st hole before I go to work.

I can handle the heat and humidity without incident. The bugs are a different story - the critters seem to have followed a shorter path through evolution than the ones we had in California.

The cost of living here is ridiculously cheap and our home would cost 3-4x in Orange County.

I doubt I will adjust to the politics here, and I predict I will get into a fist fight with some redneck within my first year over their obsession with guns. There is more culture shock for me moving to Texas than I had moving to California from Missoula, Montana in 1987. At least once a day, one of us will get cut off by a large pickup truck as we scurry around in our electric cars. No problem, we kick it out of ECO mode and return the favor.

I am shopping for a set of steer horns for one of the electric cars which I think would be awesome. I may also get a set of chrome testicles below the rear license plate frame.

Congrats...if you are moving to Plano be sure and check out Kim...I guess he goes by Kimmel(he is great) now that he is older and mature...) who taught me bridge way back in early 71 when I was 16 and his partner Hugh....I am sure you either already know them through Alex or will get to know them very soon....again congrats and best wishes.

I very much look forward to hearing about your deals and your wins!

#153 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2017-June-23, 13:28

View Postmike777, on 2017-June-22, 22:34, said:

Congrats...if you are moving to Plano be sure and check out Kim...I guess he goes by Kimmel(he is great) now that he is older and mature...) who taught me bridge way back in early 71 when I was 16 and his partner Hugh....I am sure you either already know them through Alex or will get to know them very soon....again congrats and best wishes.

I very much look forward to hearing about your deals and your wins!

Yeah Alex mentioned Kimmel. Heard of Hugh and a few other locals too.
Hi y'all!

#154 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-12, 09:40

Congrats Helene, Adam, and Elianna!

@Phil pretty crazy you're in Frisco and work in Plano, I'm sure if I move back to Texas at some point I will be in one of those 2 places. PM me if you need a bridge scouting report of the locals :P
The artist formerly known as jlall

#155 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2017-July-12, 16:44

View PostPhantomSac, on 2017-July-12, 09:40, said:

Congrats Helene, Adam, and Elianna!

@Phil pretty crazy you're in Frisco and work in Plano, I'm sure if I move back to Texas at some point I will be in one of those 2 places. PM me if you need a bridge scouting report of the locals :P

Thanks haha Alex K has given me a good rundown and introduced me to a few characters at NABCs.

Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to play with one of them soon since my live bridge play has trickled to...none. :(

Selfishly - I hope you come back to TX.
Hi y'all!

#156 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2021-August-20, 04:19

I will be moving back to the UK on 8 September.

It is a bit of a weird decision given the Covid situation in UK and New Zealand, respectively. But it has always been our plans to return if we couldn't persuade any friends and relatives to move with us, and everyone seems to have some lame excuse for not moving to New Zealand. Especially for my partner it has been four long years to be away from her children.

I will keep my New Zealand job for the moment, when the clock changes in October it will be more doable to do New Zealand work from the UK. And it's good not to burn too many bridges in case we regret. I can easily imagine returning to New Zealand next year if the UK zombie apocalypse turns out to be too much. But we shall see. In any case it will be good to see friends and family in Europe again.

#157 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2021-November-30, 16:31

Accepted a job as lead statistician at the Cancer Research UK centre in Glasgow. Not sure if I will actually move to Glasgow or commute from Lancaster.

#158 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-November-30, 18:46

View Posthelene_t, on 2021-November-30, 16:31, said:

Accepted a job as lead statistician at the Cancer Research UK centre in Glasgow. Now sure if I will actually move to Glasgow or commute from Lancaster.

Congrats, Here’s looking at you, kid,
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#159 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2022-October-08, 03:37

Hi gwnn again. I will start regularly posting again. Since I last posted, I have moved to Göttingen, Germany and then Ghent, Belgium. I work for a smallish comp chemistry company. I started playing bridge regularly in the Belgian and Dutch league systems and I'll even (hopefully) go to Phoenix for the Nationals!!

Also come watch me on Twitch, https://www.twitch.tv/gwnn_bbo

PS I also quit drinking alcohol 1.5 years ago, my posts should be 10% more reliable than before. !h everyone.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#160 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2023-March-30, 02:31

New job. Will be a "consulting technical statistician" whatever that means for a UK detachment company, working for a couple of US based biotechs from the 1st of July. Probably remotely, I have no plans of actually moving to the US. But we shall see.

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users