Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Revenge of the 6/5s Honestly, I thought this pattern is supposed to be rare

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-19, 00:19

MPs, unfavourable. RHO deals and opens 2 (strong artificial)
x
QJTxxx
AJTxx
x

Help.

#2 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-19, 01:07

2 should be enough (if partner raises, that's good, if not perhaps I don't want to be higher...), though I may try 2N if it shows two places to play.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-19, 02:58

yes it's unfavourable but many things in life are unfavourable. i would just bid 4

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-19, 04:21

By my methods 2N which is 2 suited without clubs. Not sure what I'd do playing standard, possibly just 2 in the hope that it goes something like P/X-P-2/N so I can bid 3.

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-January-19, 04:51

If I go to the 3-level I would bid 3H, not 2NT. 2NT may be a little safer (although that isn't 100% clear) but it gives the opponents more room and will make the play easier.

4H at these colors seems a little insane, 2H a little too cautious.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-19, 05:15

View Posthan, on 2012-January-19, 04:51, said:

If I go to the 3-level I would bid 3H, not 2NT. 2NT may be a little safer (although that isn't 100% clear) but it gives the opponents more room and will make the play easier.

4H at these colors seems a little insane, 2H a little too cautious.
Parsing...
So your bid is 3?

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-January-19, 06:13

View PostAntrax, on 2012-January-19, 05:15, said:

So your bid is 3?

Mine too (unless I somehow happen to have 3 as the red suits in my bag). I like this 3M jump to be super-wide-ranging. Tip: B/Is hardly ever sit for 3X here.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-January-19, 07:12

Hey I really like the idea of three diamonds as a shapely two suit. Three hearts. Could be the majors. Works better than suction there too

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 06:48

I will bit 2h and hope to bid 3d if I get the chance, that will be plenty at red vs green. If rho is two suited, as seems likely, it is just about possible we could be making 11 tricks.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 08:32

I would also bid 3. 4 at other vulnerabilities, maybe 4NT at favourable with some imaginative partner, but that's a little crazy.

#11 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 08:34

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-January-25, 06:48, said:

If rho is two suited, as seems likely, it is just about possible we could be making 11 tricks.

That seems a little optimistic to me, considering we have 6 losers in hand and RHO has opened strong.

But I do agree it's a decent looking hand.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-25, 09:47

I know it sounds strange, but I am going to pass. Its quite likely that RHO has spades, and if we get overactive in hearts, they rate to find out that there is no heart duplication.

If I were decide to show my two suiter (assuming I could), I might as well be putting my hand on the table for declarer to play. We aren't buying it at this vulnerability.

Even if this weren't the case, what do I expect to gain by bidding? Partner would need to know about my 11 red cards to make an intelligent five level decision
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 12:30

Well, it does depend if this pair is one of those who thinks that since AKQJTxxx -- Kx xxx is "8-and-one-half tricks", it's a 2 opener. If I think (or know) that's so, I'll compete - possibly, even with the vulnerability, 4NT. Definitely 2...4. Let opener's partner figure out if I have the hand I have (4 might even make!) or -- JTxxxxx QJTxxx --, and 7 of either black suit is on for -500 or less. Also, if it is this kind of pair, and responder does hit 4 and it's *right*, opener may still pull it because he's afraid he doesn't have the 4 tricks most people would promise.

If I expect there really is a 2 opener behind me, I'm likely to be a bit more conservative (mostly because of that A!)

It's hands like this one - and they do come up - that are why 2 strong, artificial should promise defence as well as strength.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-25, 12:57

I kind of dislike re-entering the auction on the next round with 4. I said earlier that I'd bid 2 but I can agree with 3. However, if you really want to show both suits I think you should do it immediately (e.g. 2NT); getting in the auction again after (2)-2-(2)-P-(3) with 4, for example, achieves very little except giving the opponent's the choice of penalizing you. Even over (2)-2-(P)-P-(2/3), the preemptive value of 4 is fairly limited if there are agreements about responder's initial pass (e.g. positive for me) and his second call (forcing passes are on for me, and there is also the possibility of raising with 4). Though I can understand that 4 may throw more confusion against B/Is.

#15 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 13:13

I agree with 3 but 4 could work. 2 is too little and showing a two suiter in this kind of situation makes the play too easy for them.

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 15:27

As I said, I'd only do that (2 then 4) if my opponents were the type who will bid 2 with an overstrength preempt - because I *am* inviting them to double me - when either they don't feel comfortable doubling in case partner has that overstrength preempt hand or when opener feels like he can't sit for the double because he has the overstrength preempt hand.

The problem is that people think that it's okay to bid those hands 2; and, of course, they're right, because the opponents won't attack with hands like this against them because against a "proper" 2 opener, it would be insane. And they don't disclose that they do that, because they don't realize either that this is an issue or that anybody would want to defend differently against it.

And I know this is B/I, so I'm mostly pointing it out not so that people will bid like that with this 1651, but so that they realize the kind of problems they can have if they put their overstrength preempts into 2 because "I had 8.5 tricks, partner".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users