#21 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-02, 05:01

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-02, 02:42, said:

I am not convinced that it should be natural but:

this is not fair.
If responder has KQx Qxx xx T98xxx or something like that he is not thrilled to pass 1C, because partner is quite likely to have strong hand with club shortness (and possible long suit on the side too) and playing in 1C is a disaster in such case.
Once partner bid 2N things change considerably though as now the worst thing which can happen is 4-4-4-1 in partner's hand, usually we flop 2+clubs though.

One other meaning which makes sense to me is a hand lacking club stopper with extras, something like: KQx KQx T9xx xxx maybe.

I mean not to argue semantics but this is 14 cards. If you took away a major card, you should obv pass 2N rather than bid 3C, I mean you will usually have 3 or 4 club losers, and you have 22+ points, why would you pull 2N? I would expect to make 2N on power way more than making 3C and going down in 2N.

#22 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 05:32

Is it not possible for South to have 4-4 in the majors and a hand too good to respond at the 1-level? Perfectly reasonable to play jump = 5 cards, and perfectly reasonable also for the doubler to not bid a 4c major if he has a balanced 15.

ahydra

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-02, 06:21

No it's not perfectly reasonable to play that 1NT could have 4-4 in the majors, or even one 4 card major routinely.

If you want to play jump=5 cards, you need to play the 1M advance as ~0-10 and require doubler to raise on all hands with 4-card support. I think that's a playable style, indeed I think some Italians might play this way.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-02, 06:43

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-02, 06:21, said:

If you want to play jump=5 cards, you need to play the 1M advance as ~0-10 and require doubler to raise on all hands with 4-card support. I think that's a playable style, indeed I think some Italians might play this way.

Another way to do is is to play the cue-bid as a one-round force only, including all the hands without a five-card suit. That's what I do in one partnership. Sequences like dbl-2;2, dbl-2;2-2 and dbl-2;2-2 are non-forcing, so the downside is that if either partner wants to force to game he has to go to the three-level.

You can also play dbl-1 as an artificial negative.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-02, 21:47

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-02, 02:42, said:

I am not convinced that it should be natural but:

this is not fair.
If responder has KQx Qxx xx T98xxx or something like that he is not thrilled to pass 1C, because partner is quite likely to have strong hand with club shortness (and possible long suit on the side too) and playing in 1C is a disaster in such case.
Once partner bid 2N things change considerably though as now the worst thing which can happen is 4-4-4-1 in partner's hand, usually we flop 2+clubs though.

One other meaning which makes sense to me is a hand lacking club stopper with extras, something like: KQx KQx T9xx xxx maybe.

I am looking at the hand you constructed, and then i am looking at your comments and having hard time where to start to talk about the inconsistency. Your pd's 2NT basically represented aprx a strong NT hand (can still have short as u mentioned) that was unable to bid 1NT previous round. And you want to play 3 with this hand and not 2 NT or 3NT ? I mean you are so busy looking at your hand and beans and cant see the bigger picture. If you put 15 hcp to your pd's hand with stiff or xx u almost always have a good shot at 3 NT since your hand guards their suit and since you will play double dummy and since defense will have to be done from one hand etc etc. If they cash u may end up establishing 2-3 tricks, if they dont good luck to them with digging the other suits which you overwhelmiongly support your pd's 14-15 hcp. But if you dont wanna play 3 NT, then wtf is wrong with 2NT with this hand u hold ? :)

But regardless, as others said, natural or not, i think its an unneccesarry bid.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 22:03

I was stretching to construct some hand with clubs. You guy convinced me that it's not easy task. I give up :)
So yeah, it shouldn't be natural. Maybe lack of club stopper then ?
For example if it went:

1H dbl p 1N
p 2n p 3H

I would expect 3H being hand strong enough for game but without heart stopper. Maybe it should be something similar in OP problem ?

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-02, 23:07

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-02, 22:03, said:

I was stretching to construct some hand with clubs. You guy convinced me that it's not easy task. I give up :)
So yeah, it shouldn't be natural. Maybe lack of club stopper then ?
For example if it went:

1H dbl p 1N
p 2n p 3H

I would expect 3H being hand strong enough for game but without heart stopper. Maybe it should be something similar in OP problem ?

Tbh i dunno wth that 3 is. I wouldnt bid it at the table.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#28 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-03, 02:24

I'm happy with DNE, but maybe it's an attempt to get to the right game with KQx AJx xxx xxxx opposite AJxx KQxx AKxx x?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#29 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-03, 02:36

Two possibilities, partner has a good hand in clubs and therefore doesn't want to let opener get in a cheap rebid as he think opener has few clubs or he has too much cover in clubs e.g. KJ10x and thinks it is most likely opener is double suited so now you have a second suit poorly or not covered at all- either 3C is forcing.

#30 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-05, 08:11

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-03, 02:24, said:

I'm happy with DNE, but maybe it's an attempt to get to the right game with KQx AJx xxx xxxx opposite AJxx KQxx AKxx x?

As a corollary, could it be an attempt to get to the right partial with Kxx AJx xxx xxxx?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#31 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 08:12

Anyway, ok, this thread certainly convinced me that this DNE. Thanks.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#32 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-05, 17:45

View Postwyman, on 2012-March-05, 08:12, said:

Anyway, ok, this thread certainly convinced me that this DNE. Thanks.

Whats a DNE ?

#33 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 17:48

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-05, 17:45, said:

Whats a DNE ?

does not exist
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#34 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-05, 17:49

wyman stop playing with our emotions and tell us what he had!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#35 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 18:04

haha, the "he" was me.

It was a CtC and I bid 3C (I wouldn't have pulled this in a real event :)) after bidding 1N with something like Q10x / K9x / Q10xx / Jxx
[incidentally, I was repulsed by 1D with this, but apparently 1D is totally normal, and I'm a horrible overbidder], and after 2N I figured a major suit partial was probably best (and obv with clubs stopped well, p will bid 3N). Partner bid 3S and I passed; he was like (bad 5)=3=4=1 or something and we scored up 8 for this debacle (4S=10).

When I gave this auction to a friend, his immediate response was "clubs, what else? And apparently he lied about his values when he bid 1N."

I wasn't so sure, hence the post.

#36 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 20:05

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-March-05, 17:48, said:

does not exist

I thought Do Not Ever.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#37 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 00:25

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-05, 20:05, said:

I thought Do Not Ever.

it maybe in other situations, but only "does not exist" fits the grammar of the sentence it was used in.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users