BBO Discussion Forums: 1S- (P) 2H - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1S- (P) 2H What do you expect from 2H (non 2/1)?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-January-14, 02:08

When I started playing a couple of years ago my partner's system noted said that 2 Hearts on this sequence should show a very good 11+HCP and 5 Hearts, as it consumes so much bidding space and I've always taken this to be the case. I even play it shows 5 hearts in 2/1, although a good 12+ HCPs because we open light.

However I was playing Acol with a new partner for the first time and I bid 2NT (we had agreed no J2N) with a 3=4=3=3 hand and 12 HCP. He didn't like it because it meant that he couldn't show his 5th spade at the 2 level and the spade game would have been better than 3NT. His argument was the I should have bid 2H which would have been forcing and he could show the 5th spade at the 2 level.

Have I been too harsh on my treatment of 2H requiring a 5-card suit when playing 5-card majors?

Is it acceptable to play this as 4-card suit in Acol? If so is it forcing for one round? I assume it is - new suit at new level.

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-14, 04:13

I am no ACOlist, but in FES and similar systems, you rebid 2 with your 3433.
The reason is that 2 takes up much space and so it should be defiend as 5+ hearts and (at least nearly) gf- as you have written yourself.

An it is MUCH preferable to be uncertain about the length of a minor then of a major.

Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 04:40

Hi,

Acol - new suits are forcing for one round.

A 2H response to a 1S opening showes 5 cards, this is the exception to the general rule,
that a response in a new suit only showes 4+.
With a 4333 shape an 4 hearts, you either bid 2C or NT.

Your partner could have bid a new suit on the 3 level, to find out, if you have 3 card
support.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-14, 05:29

In the original Acol, you responded 2 with 3433 shape and the required strength. One of many positive changes that was brought in by Baron was to make the 2 response guarantee 5+ hearts. With 3433 you instead responded 2. As far as I know, all modern forms of Acol have retained the 5+ hearts requirement for a 2 response. The argument that your partner made, that 2 was the correct response on your hand, is one of someone that simply does not know any better.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   relknes 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-16, 19:52

View PostSimonFa, on 2013-January-14, 02:08, said:

When I started playing a couple of years ago my partner's system noted said that 2 Hearts on this sequence should show a very good 11+HCP and 5 Hearts, as it consumes so much bidding space and I've always taken this to be the case. I even play it shows 5 hearts in 2/1, although a good 12+ HCPs because we open light.

However I was playing Acol with a new partner for the first time and I bid 2NT (we had agreed no J2N) with a 3=4=3=3 hand and 12 HCP. He didn't like it because it meant that he couldn't show his 5th spade at the 2 level and the spade game would have been better than 3NT. His argument was the I should have bid 2H which would have been forcing and he could show the 5th spade at the 2 level.

Have I been too harsh on my treatment of 2H requiring a 5-card suit when playing 5-card majors?

Is it acceptable to play this as 4-card suit in Acol? If so is it forcing for one round? I assume it is - new suit at new level.

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

If he was balanced oposite flat, 3N is odds on to play as well as 4M in spite of the fit. If he was unbalanced, he should bid his second suit and allow you to show delayed support (ie 3 cards). Either way, it dosn't seem to be a problem...

If partner dosn't like playing in 3N with a 5-3 fit with balanced facing flat, then let him know you are going to bid 2 on a 3 card suit there, or else convince him to take up 5 card majors. Those are prety much the only options.

#6 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-18, 03:24

Your partner is wrong that 2 should be bid with a 4 card suit; but he is right that you shouldn't bid 2NT with this hand. A jump to 2NT as natural and invitational is one of the worst bids in bridge. Presumably partner's 3 level bids are forcing (else he has to jump on any hand with more than a bare minimum), but then how does he bid minimum hands with 5 and and 5m? Or a minimum 5422 hand? It is better to bid 2 on this sort of hand. Partner can now show a second suit, or a 5th spade, or extras in a balanced hand, and you will be able to either support spades, support hearts, bid game in NT, or show your balanced invitational NT on the next round.

#7 User is offline   junohera 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-09, 16:11

It is also worth bearing in mind that if p opened 1S, then they must have at least 15 hcp and/or 5 spades. 2NT is an extremely awkward natural response, it is better to look for a constructive one like 2C which gives them plenty of scope to describe their hand.

#8 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-February-10, 03:25

:P In SAYC, Precision and 2/1 (the main systems played here in the colonies) 2 always shows 5+ cards. You can always find your 4-4 fit (if it exists) after partner's rebid. Your advisor was correct in his/her reasoning. Because of the space used up, you need 10+ HCP and 5+ .

You really don't need the 2NT response because you can always temporize by bidding 2 of a minor with: 2-4-4-3 or 2-4-3-4. Save the 2NT response to show a strong raise. With 3-4-3-3 you should be trying to find the right level in your eight card fit or NT. Temporize with 2 or maybe if your are three small. Next support to the correct level or pass partner's 2NT rebid or raise to 3NT depending on the strength of your hand.

If it does go 1 - P - 2 - P
2 - P - ???
now you can bid 2 just in case partner is 5-4-4-0.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users