BBO Discussion Forums: Retarded doubles are for penalty? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Retarded doubles are for penalty? Sorry, gwnn, for misapplying your law

Poll: Retarded doubles are for penalty? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Which hands (more than one choice possible) is possible?

1. 2533 15-count (8 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. 4333 11-count (2 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

3. 4243 10-count (5 votes [9.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.62%

4. 4144 9-count (7 votes [13.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.46%

5. 4045 8-count (7 votes [13.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.46%

6. 4225 13-count with bad clubs (2 votes [3.85%] - View)

7. 4315 13-count with bad clubs (2 votes [3.85%] - View)

8. 4405 13-count with bad clubs (5 votes [9.62%] - View)

9. 0445 13-count with bad club (4 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

10. 3055 9-count (5 votes [9.62%] - View)

11. Something completely different (5 votes [9.62%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-18, 09:00

To my surprise I saw a very well-oiled and quite strong partnership having a misunderstanding about this basic auction:
(2)-pass-(3)-pass
(pass)-dbl*

Which hands would be suitable for such a double in the style you would assume if underdiscussed and playing with a good partner?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-18, 09:28

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-March-18, 09:00, said:

To my surprise I saw a very well-oiled and quite strong partnership having a misunderstanding about this basic auction:
(2)-pass-(3)-pass
(pass)-dbl*

Which hands would be suitable for such a double in the style you would assume if underdiscussed and playing with a good partner?

Marginal opening bids values with or without shortness in hearts. To me, an immediate takeout double of a preempt shows sound values. So with less I have to pass and depend upon partner to balance. The raise of the preempt took partner off the hook and put me back on it, so I have to decide whether to balance. If I choose to balance with a double, it is NOT for penalties. Partner is, of course, free to convert the double by passing it out. But he should not expect me to have a penalty double.

If your partnership makes immediate doubles of preempts on less than sound values, there is an argument to be made that the double of the raise of the preempt is for penalties.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-18, 10:11

I am sure that the overwhelming majority of posters here play this as takeout, as per Art's comments.

I think a case can be made for this being a 'look at your hand' double.

If as advancer we hold a stiff or void in hearts, it is penalty. If we hold 2 or more, it is takeout. This assumes, reasonably enough, that the opps hold no more than 9 hearts between them. I think Zia and Rosenberg played a double a bit like this for a short time, before realizing the catastrophes that can result if one makes the wrong inference. I'd be comfortable playing this two-way approach at mps, but maybe not at imps.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-18, 10:33

This situation comes up infrequently enough that my regular partnerships have a meta-rule: "If I declined to double that suit for takeout earlier, I've missed the bus and now it's penalties". That does lead to some retarded doubles, but at least it doesn't cause frequent partscore-doubled-up-two accidents...

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-March-18, 10:46

There wasn't an overwhelming majority for "takeout" in 2008 (though that was after a 2 opening):

http://www.bridgebas...age__mode__show
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-March-18, 10:57

I though the rule was doubles of retarded bids are for penalty.

It depends on the light you overcall live, I oercall sound and weak takeout hand makes sense. But obviously it makes less sense if you double a 4144 10 count at first round

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-18, 11:39

View Postmikeh, on 2013-March-18, 10:11, said:

If as advancer we hold a stiff or void in hearts, it is penalty. If we hold 2 or more, it is takeout.
Is this a legal agreement? Isn't this some sort of encrypted bid?

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-March-18, 12:26

Penalty, doesn't need to be 2533 though
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-18, 12:46

View PostAntrax, on 2013-March-18, 11:39, said:

I've never played it: I read, years ago, that Zia and Rosenberg had been playing it. I've always been too risk-averse to actually use a gadget that is so prone to mishap, especially since the mishap is almost always going to be extremely expensive. So I have no idea as to its legality. I would think, however, that as it relates to bidding it wouldn't rule afoul of the prohibition against encrypted signalling in the play. I'm not going to look it up, since it will likely never be relevant to me, even if I resume playing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-18, 15:16

Undiscussed, I would assume it is penalties.

Discussed, I play it the way Mike describes as 'two-way': either penalties (usually 5 but possibly 4+ trumps if opponents can be trusted) or light takeout (usually a void, at most 1 heart).

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-18, 15:17

View PostArtK78, on 2013-March-18, 09:28, said:

Marginal opening bids values with or without shortness in hearts. To me, an immediate takeout double of a preempt shows sound values. So with less I have to pass and depend upon partner to balance. The raise of the preempt took partner off the hook and put me back on it, so I have to decide whether to balance. If I choose to balance with a double, it is NOT for penalties. Partner is, of course, free to convert the double by passing it out. But he should not expect me to have a penalty double.

If your partnership makes immediate doubles of preempts on less than sound values, there is an argument to be made that the double of the raise of the preempt is for penalties.

This sounds like the sort of method that works best when opponents don't know you are playing it. Otherwise you will go for some substantial penalties. I can't see why I'd want to protect 3H with 'marginal values without shortness in hearts' Do you mainly play matchpoints?

#12 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-18, 17:29

Our agreement is that it's for for penalty.
foobar on BBO

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-March-18, 17:36

It's just a two-way double. There's nothing encrypted about it. I think what Mike should have said was "If as advancer we hold a stiff or void in hearts, we assume it is penalty. If we hold 2 or more, we assume it is takeout."

The rules about what methods are allowed vary by jurisdiction. I don't know of anywhere where this two-way double is forbidden. It's allowed in the ACBL, in England, in WBF events and in EBL events.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-March-18, 17:41

...adding <3, and >2, and <6 ( or ) with opening strength or better.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-18, 21:04

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-March-18, 15:17, said:

This sounds like the sort of method that works best when opponents don't know you are playing it. Otherwise you will go for some substantial penalties. I can't see why I'd want to protect 3H with 'marginal values without shortness in hearts' Do you mainly play matchpoints?

The OP asked a question and I answered it. It doesn't mean that I would make such a double.

It is just the only thing that makes sense.

#16 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-18, 23:54

Encrypted bidding is legal. Only encrypted defensive signals are banned. I've played encrypted game tries before.

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-19, 00:02

I had this auction like 8 years ago with Ari Greenberg in the US team trials. FWIW I had an opening hand with 3 small of their suit. These days I just make a t/o X of 2M with this hand but I feel like penalty is not the right way to play it, it is too rare/almost impossible.

Anyways I think most experts at that time thought it was pen. My partner also passed and we had a game and 3M was cold.

I think its a bad spot for either/or doubles and I like those. This is a situation where they can have 8-10 trumps. Pretty sure I posted this auction on the forums way back when if anyone can find it.

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-19, 02:11

I think that if you play it as takeout and the opponents know that you play it as takeout then they have an opportunity to play silly buggers and raise on a misfit. Particularly if they are 10 down going into the last 8.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-March-19, 03:12

Doubler had a 4333 11count . Advancer with stiff hearts assumed penalties .
I tend to agree with Frances. Doubling with 4333 11 and also with 4045 9 might work if opps can be trusted to be in a 9 card fit. I recall having been in a 4-2 fit and also in a 7-4 fit on this auction (albeit at different vulnerabilitis).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-20, 11:44

As someone else pointed out, there's no prohibition of encrypted bids.

And it's less "encrypted" than RKCB responses -- if you hold 3 key cards, and partner responds 5 or 5, you know he has the lower of the possible meanings, but the opponents don't. In the case of the retarded double, you only have an inferential count.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users