BBO Discussion Forums: Use of UI - not a clear cut answer - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Use of UI - not a clear cut answer

#1 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-12, 08:31

ACBL. Club game. Match points. All players A level and both are established partnerships. I was called to the table following S's significant (and readily acknowledged) hesitation prior to doubling 5. I allowed the auction to continue and the hand was played at 5 X for off 1. EW complained that they were damaged and requested an adjusted score. The only call worthy of comment at this stage is the 3 call by S. N said that it was undiscussed but that he took it as showing rather than as a Western cue bid looking for a NT contract or some other type of cue bid. The club manager and I discussed the hand and came to different conclusions. I believed that pass was not an LA to S's double and that N should be allowed to pull it, but I deferred to the club manager. He advised NS of the decision to award an adjusted score of 5 X making. N appealed and a committee was assembled.

One other matter was discovered during the discussion of the auction with the committee. The original opening bid of 1 had been alerted but EW did not make inquiry as to its nature. N offered to the committee that their agreement was that the bid promised a minimum of 14 HCP. He acknowledged that he had "significantly upgraded" his hand based on his holding. After deliberation, the committee ruled 2-1 with the club manager.

It strikes me that, from the beginning, N knows that S is going to expect him to have a much better hand and that he may well be headed into uncharted waters. The auction tells N that both and are breaking badly and that S has marked himself with all the . N felt, and I agreed, that he would have pulled an in-tempo double by S so he should be allowed to pull it after a hesitation.

Since great minds frequently disagree, and here they have (mine certainly not included), I wanted to again solicit the thoughts of this august forum. All the best to you.

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-12, 09:44

I'm no law expert, but I don't know of one that bars north from looking at his hand after his partner's hesitation. With near vanishing defense, and considering west's strong bidding, it's a pretty clear pull IMO.

With an appeal process, surely there was plenty of time for a poll. Did anyone bother?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 10:52

The fact that EW were damaged is a necessary, but not a sufficient, reason for adjusting.

South has no UI, so he can do what he likes. That North would have pulled an in-tempo double is not relevant. He has UI, so the question is whether he has LAs to 5, and whether 5 could demonstrably have been suggested by South's BIT.

What information does the BIT convey? Probably that South is not sure double is the correct call. Maybe he should have passed, or maybe he should have bid 5 himself. So I think the BIT demonstrably could suggest pulling. Is there an LA to 5? I don't think so. North has no defense to 5, and South's initial 2 bid shows a relatively bad hand, so he might have one trick if they're lucky.

I would not adjust the score here. I don't think the fact that North upgraded his hand in the first place has anything to do with the ruling.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 12:04

View Postbillw55, on 2014-May-12, 09:44, said:

I'm no law expert, but I don't know of one that bars north from looking at his hand after his partner's hesitation. With near vanishing defense, and considering west's strong bidding, it's a pretty clear pull IMO.

With an appeal process, surely there was plenty of time for a poll. Did anyone bother?

We had 11 tables in play and I asked one A player who had played the hand. He bid on to 6 X, off 1. I don't know his auction. After that, the club manager suggested I stop polling since the players who were our likely committee were the next ones to have asked.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-12, 12:22

View Postschulken, on 2014-May-12, 12:04, said:

We had 11 tables in play and I asked one A player who had played the hand. He bid on to 6 X, off 1. I don't know his auction. After that, the club manager suggested I stop polling since the players who were our likely committee were the next ones to have asked.

Hm. What question(s) did you ask that player?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 13:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-May-12, 12:22, said:

Hm. What question(s) did you ask that player?

Sorry. He's a talkative sort, but he said without question, he pulls the double as he has no defensive values.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-12, 15:12

How did he know there was a double to pull? You must have said something. B-)
--------------------

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-12, 15:55

IMO South's hesitation is UI expressing doubt over his double. In the absence of a poll, the director must use his his judgement to decide whether pass is an LA to the suggested 5. FWIW, IMO, pass is an LA, so the director should adjust to 5X=.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 20:54

When east bid 5 they merely preferred them to hearts. Passing is clearly a logical alternative for north.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users