BBO Discussion Forums: Struggling against 2 pre-empts. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Struggling against 2 pre-empts. How do you deal with these two.

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-June-19, 18:13

System context - 2/1 GF, 5 card majors, variable NT, short club with transfer responses.

Hand 1:

I'm pretty sure we just got done on this hand. (1NT would have been 11-13 at this position and vul)

re

I tried 4C which didn't feel great, but 3S and double felt real bad. Partner then bid 5 and we went off. I think this is just 'pre-empts work' and nothing you can do, but open to suggestions. Or maybe I should just pass and he re-opens with a strong NT? That doesn't feel that good either I must say.

Hand 2:

1D promises 4+ diamonds in an unbalanced hand (2/1 GF w/short club context). I tried 2S and partner tried 3H and I bid 4S, but I don't feel like that sequence was good with slam being such a strong prospect. Niether of us were sure exactly what 4C is - does that set trumps to spades always? Should 4H be last train? What's standardish agreements here?

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-19, 20:17

Hand 1 is very hard. I guess you can consider passing out 3H... they should go down, and 3NT is far from cold. 4C is rather risky.. you can find pard with 4342 across.

Hand 2 is easier because you can blame partner for not having splintered 4H :) As to 4C, in absence of agreements I would say it's natural.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-20, 07:13

Hand 1 I don't see a problem with. W doubles and E buds 3nt. Why not? It's a bad contract but that doesn't mean the auction is wrong.

Hand 2 I suppose E just has to ask for keycards. Maybe easier when one can see both hands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-20, 09:18

1. First hand is a clear double I think. Worst case partner bids 4, but if he does he will have extras and maybe we will survive.

2. As suggested partner can splinter and make it easy for you to RKCB. After 3-4 he had a guess and he guessed wrong.

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-June-20, 11:12

Is the double really clear on hand 1? It feels awful with 3 spades to the ten, given that it suggests 4.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-20, 11:25

Imo the double doesn't suggest spades it asks opener to bid 3nt with a stopper
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-20, 16:01

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-June-20, 11:12, said:

Is the double really clear on hand 1? It feels awful with 3 spades to the ten, given that it suggests 4.

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-20, 11:25, said:

I do not think any one has the luxury to assign such a clear message to DBL at 3+ levels without ignoring a lot of other hand types. Whether that be asking stopper or always promising spades. Simply because this type of preempts do not leave much of a space below 3 NT to do anything but dbl for a lot of other hands that are too strong to pass or not strong enough to bid 5 card spades at 3 level, which would be GF, (5134 8 hcp)

Hand 1 is clear DBL for me. After DBL E may choose to bid 3 NT or Pass. I would have sit on the double at these colors.

Hand 2 is very tuff to reach to slam with confidence imho. W may easily hold Ax instead of Ax . I assume 2 was forcing 1 round but not a GF. 3 by opener created a GF, After this it pretty much depends on agreements. What would 3 show instead of 4? Is it the worst hand or better than 4? Did 3 promise a spade fit or not? Even with the agreements and each pd knew what all these bids meant, it also involves a strong judgement. This type of hands are the ones which strong pairs almost always get it right and others get it right occasionally and randomly. Also note that NS perhaps did a good job by not preempting in hearts any further with their 10 card SOLID fit. This could have been helpful for EW rather than destructive.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-June-21, 11:35

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-20, 11:25, said:

I'm with Cthulhu D on this one. In an auction like the one on Hand 1, the opps have preempted away a lot of your ability to communicate with partner. Better for a call such as this double to have a well-defined meaning, even if it forces you to pass, than for it to be an undefined "read my mind" bid. Maybe if your partner is Zia, he can read your mind, but I sure can't.

I feel the same way about Danny Kleinman's objection to the Western Cuebid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users