BBO Discussion Forums: Sandwich - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sandwich You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?

Poll: Well, do you, Punk? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

After Opponents bid 1C - 1H, Do you overcall 1N?

1. Yes (6 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. No (33 votes [84.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.62%

After Opponents bid 1C - 1H - 1S - 1N - 3H - 4H, Do you double?

1. Yes (27 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. No (12 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

After the auction above, what do you lead?

1. SQ (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. HA (22 votes [56.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.41%

3. DK (13 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. CQ (1 votes [2.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

5. Other (3 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-07, 11:08

John Matheson includes this hand in an article for the Scottish Bridge News:2019 Teltscher Scotland v England match.IMPs -> VPs
-- Would you overcall a natural 1N in this sandwich position 1 - 1?
-- Would you double 4?
-- What would you lead against 4?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-07, 11:30

Is this from this year’s Spring Fours?

Edit: no, I’ve checked.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-07, 11:31

IMPs or MPs?

West looks to have a singleton diamond, so the KQ are not worth A lot in defence. Doubling will tell the opps where all of the cards are. But it still feels like this going off.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-June-07, 11:35

View Postgordontd, on 2019-June-07, 11:30, said:

Is this from this year's Spring Fours?
No, the 2019 Teltscher Scotland v England match.

View PostTramticket, on 2019-June-07, 11:31, said:

IMPs or MPs?West looks to have a singleton diamond, so the KQ are not worth A lot in defence. Doubling will tell the opps where all of the cards are. But it still feels like this going off.
IMPs --> VPs.

Thank you both. I've updated the OP :)

#5 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-07, 11:48

Well . . . 2 votes in and it's unanimous. :D

I agree with Tramticket.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#6 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-07, 23:47

No, I don't bid 1NT. Where in the world are my tricks opposite not much of anything from partner? I will get killed.

No, I don't double. Why double? I have two defensive tricks and probably a third in hearts. That's it. West obviously has a singleton diamond; he is no double 4315 with strong clubs that will run with my Qx in the slot. At most I'm beating it one, and in IMPs you don't risk giving away a normally unmakeable doubled game for an extra 100 points.

I lead a heart honor to cut down on dummy's ruffing power.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-June-08, 10:31

NO.I shall keep quiet over 1H. I shall double 4H and lead the HK. Cards can be arranged so that ALL I get is thee heart tricks.I never ever think "what if the cards are distributed this and that." That sure is a pessimistic attitude.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-June-08, 13:28

I'll wait a couple of days, in case there are any more comments, before posting the full deal.
In the mean time, please can you explain why the problem on the left is so different?
In a recent thread, RR9000 posted this Interesting sandwich bidding problem

+++++++++++++++++++
My 2d worth:: over 1 - 1, I Pass

Then, however, commentators recommended a natural 1N overcall.

#9 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-08, 14:45

In the first example, there is a dubious club stopper, so do something else.

In the second case, both suits are well stopped (although hearts is in the wrong place) with 17 high. It still seems like the opponents have not yet found a fit and you may know more what to do after the next bid.
This may also depend upon the strength of the opponents, their system, and your partnership system.

1 NT would have the information across at the 1 level- but is the hand really best with such poor minor suits?/

#10 User is offline   dB451 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-08, 21:51

No, not bidding 1N, when partner is close to dead broke. No, not doubling when both my pointed suits are in front of West, as is my Club Queen. No, not giving away the Spade or Diamond positions by leading one of those honors, and not putting off the lead problem by leading a top Heart to "get a look at dummy". No, not wasting the Club Queen into the Club bidder; even though they may only have 3 cards, partner is unlikely to have the Club K or A. And, no, not leading a Diamond honor, when West is quite possibly quite short in Diamonds. So, in a rare departure from a most-often-best passive lead, I would choose the Club 8, giving West the option to play a high Club, thinking my partner may have the Queen, and giving me a possibility of getting a third Heart trick with a Club ruff. Then, I sit back, watch partner's signals, and play carefully, hoping for the best. In this case, an active lead is reasonable, since at IMPs, my team is willing to take a chance, possibly giving up an overtrick, if it gives us an opportunity to set their game contract. That's my $0.02.

#11 User is offline   jjsb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2019-June-08, 22:40

i dont see any reason to bid over 1H when i have the suit .. i know some who will think about 2H ...
as for the 4H contract , i admit i just cant believe that there is that much not doubling this...i know if its not a spectacular hand it will not be posted as a problem here but i have to answer honestly . opps are playing with a 8 card fit (at best)with 23 HP (at best)and trump are 5-0 ... come on.. well of course if the question is asked its because its a make but i don't even want to think about it .. and after all its just 170 more and 4 imps if made? im pretty sure there is some few scenario that this is not ending with only 1 down ...
bridge is becoming so much more aggressive and so harder , if ur not going to "punish" the aggressive player bidding game with 22 23 HP (i mean with modern bridge im not even 100% sure partner is blank here...) when things looks going wrong for them well they will just surely continue to put pressure on u .
i will lead Ace of H and depending on dummy if it looks problematic i will try to play for 10 of S in partner hand for the one down
regards
syl

#12 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-08, 22:51

No convenient bid so "pass" on the first round. "Double" 4 contract because it would stupid not to with that holding, as the play by declarer given his own poor holding in the trump suit, and your own honour cards in the other suits already indicates a crossruff is the only way they are going to make this contract.

They may make 4 but on the balance of probability it's more likely to go down.

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-09, 02:49

View Postnige1, on 2019-June-08, 13:28, said:

In the mean time, please can you explain why the problem on the left is so different?

Nigel makes a fair point of course. I don't think that a 1NT overcall is silly - it does have the merit of telling partner that we likely have the best hand at the table and involves him in the decisions.

But the hand is not nearly as strong as it was when you picked it up. The club queen is likely to be worthless - since partner seems to have very little, it isn't helping to build anything in partner's hand (although JXX or 10XXX in partner's hand might provide a stop. Similarly the 5th heart is unlikely to be useful (but a heart lead...).

On balance I choose to pass.

#14 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-09, 03:17

I would have overcalled 1nt

#15 User is offline   elims 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-09, 08:09

1Nt obvious, you have an simple way with system on whatever pd have and "preempt" spades for enemy. Also low ODR.

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-June-09, 14:26

For the original hand, I'm passing over 1 . Neither opponent hand is limited ane they've bid my best suit.

I'm doubling 4 . They are unlikely to have a better spot to play in. If they did have an alternative, doubling would be wrong as it would allow them to escape from a bad spot. Also, at IMPs, the amount you might lose is a lot less than at match points if it makes. It doesn't appear 4 x can do better than just make. So, you're risking at most giving them an extra +170, which is 5 IMPs. At MPs, doubling a making game contract is a zero.

I'm leading A to see dummy. If dummy has xxx, then I'm continuing with a low . That will possibly enable dummy to ruff a , but keeps a tenace over declarer. If dummy instead has Hxx, then I'll continue with K and a low ensuring at least 3 tricks but eliminating any ruffs.

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-June-11, 01:55

Here is the full deal from the 2019 Teltscher Scotland v England matchreported by John Matheson, -- South passed 1 -- South doubled 4. which went 2 down In practice but South later said his double was an error. -- South must lead a top to ensure the defeat of 4.In practice, South led K, On that lead, how can East succeed?

This post has been edited by nige1: 2019-June-11, 15:31

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-June-11, 11:32

View Postnige1, on 2019-June-08, 13:28, said:

I'll wait a couple of days, in case there are any more comments, before posting the full deal.
In a recent thread, RR9000 posted this Interesting sandwich bidding problem

+++++++++++++++++++
My 2d worth:: over 1 - 1, I Pass

Then, however, commentators recommended a natural 1N overcall.

I would have thought/hoped that the difference between the two hands was obvious. However, apparently it is not. On the OP hand, we have no club stopper, and the 5th heart is not especially valuable, even if we can establish it, and outside of the hearts, our values are very soft. Hand evaluation is far more than counting high cards.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2019-June-11, 12:09

View Postnige1, on 2019-June-11, 01:55, said:

Here is the full deal from the 2019 Teltscher Scotland v England matchreported by John Matheson, -- South passed 1 -- South doubled 4. which went 2 down In practice but South later said his double was an error. -- South must lead a top to ensure the defeat of 4.In practice, South led K, On that lead, how can East succeed?

Why did you change the hand?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-June-11, 15:31

View Postcherdano, on 2019-June-11, 12:09, said:

Why did you change the hand?

Corrected :) (When copying the full deal from John Matheson;s draft, I swapped the ten and knave of spades by mistake. It probably wouldn't affect the play)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users