BBO Discussion Forums: Question about responder's rebid in this sequence - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question about responder's rebid in this sequence

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-January-30, 04:59

I have just received a copy of the English Bridge Union magazine, and Andrew Robson gave his Christmas quiz bidding answers. There was one hand that stood out at me.

Andrew says the correct bid is 2, and goes on to say bidding 2 could lead to a making game. Bidding 2 is constructivehere, following the principle of not rescuing a six card suit.

I'd have thought with a singleton or void heart and a hand that is useless unless spades are trumps, it would be desirable to pull to 2 on the basis that is it often better to play in the trump suit of the weak hand, which combined with opener's HCP trick taking potential might play better than playing in 2. Knowing my luck, if I bid 2 with a hand like that I would be writing +150 or +170 on the scorecard when most of the room is in game, although I can kind of see his point that opener will need to be maximum for their bidding for game to have a good chance. What have I missed? Obviously I'm wrong because Andrew is a world class player so he knows what he is talking about.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-30, 06:09

View PostAL78, on 2021-January-30, 04:59, said:

I have just received a copy of the English Bridge Union magazine, and Andrew Robson gave his Christmas quiz bidding answers. There was one hand that stood out at me.

Andrew says the correct bid is 2, and goes on to say bidding 2 could lead to a making game. Bidding 2 is constructivehere, following the principle of not rescuing a six card suit.

I'd have thought with a singleton or void heart and a hand that is useless unless spades are trumps, it would be desirable to pull to 2 on the basis that is it often better to play in the trump suit of the weak hand, which combined with opener's HCP trick taking potential might play better than playing in 2. Knowing my luck, if I bid 2 with a hand like that I would be writing +150 or +170 on the scorecard when most of the room is in game, although I can kind of see his point that opener will need to be maximum for their bidding for game to have a good chance. What have I missed? Obviously I'm wrong because Andrew is a world class player so he knows what he is talking about.

I agree with him that 2 is constructive, I disagree with bidding it on a 5 card suit, and yes it is inconvenient when you have a 70?? heap. Take a minor suit card away and add a spade, we would bid that.

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-30, 07:03

I think the main reason this is constructive, especially if you're playing IMPs, is that if you have a weak hand which has not improved by partner's rebid your goal should shift from "finding the optimal contract" to "getting out as early as possible". Since 2 is NF you can just pass. Keep in mind that all other players with your hand will face the same problem, and often 2 making around 7-8 tricks beats hoping for a better spot.

Some additional remarks are that people playing some flavour of Flannery have already shown a 5-card suit on the first round, and should therefore find a different bid now. If playing in the 5-2 fit is right partner will let us know. Furthermore, some (most?) partnerships allow raising 1 to 2 with only 3 cards in that suit and an unbalanced hand, which again should caution against rebidding the suit with a weak hand.

Lastly if you have a weak 6- or 7-suiter with a heart shortage you can bid some weak jump shift on the first round, sending a strong warning to partner that your hand is not suitable for their suit(s).

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-January-30, 07:32

I chose pass too. Which is probably why AR is a world-class player and I'm not. Posted Image

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-30, 08:40

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-January-30, 07:03, said:

people playing some flavour of Flannery have already shown a 5-card suit on the first round

In the UK, where the article originated, those people can be counted on one hand.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   fatbunny1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-31, 04:57

I passed too with this Aceless wonder as I wouldn't fancy playing 2S (possibly doubled) opposite say x AQJxxx xxx Axx which is the sort of thing my partners tend to put down.

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-31, 04:59

2 is forcing - that is how I play. What is worst that will happen? partner bid 2NT, partner bid 3. with honours in long suits this hand will give good round all support opposite many minimum openers. keep the honours hidden. one of the hands where 3NT may be made on 23/24 points, entries allowing.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-31, 07:12

2 is not forcing for me, but does show some constructive intent and 6+ cards, so clearly not applicable here.

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-31, 07:35

View Postgordontd, on 2021-January-30, 08:40, said:

In the UK, where the article originated, those people can be counted on one hand.

Probably can be counted on the fingers of one foot.

#10 User is offline   ali quarg 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-04, 06:08

Playing Kaplpan Inversion here I use 1NT for 5+ with a MLTC > 8 and 1S when the MLTC <= 8. 2 would be GI versus 3 and a non-minimum hand or 3NT versus a non-minimum hand and side suit stoppers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users