BBO Discussion Forums: Probably the best hand that I ever got dealt and I had to table it as dummy - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Probably the best hand that I ever got dealt and I had to table it as dummy

#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-17, 10:36

https://tinyurl.com/y27helwj

Kinda hated to need to bash on this one, especially with the King of Clubs marked, but transport rates to be a problem and I don't see any good way to place Jacks
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-17, 11:11

I forget the exact hand, but partner held a 27 or 28 count with AKQJxx and heard me open a weak 2 (4+, 0-10) so had to put down one of the better dummys I've seen. 6= missed at the other table, the key was that the auction started 2-2N-3(minimum, nat 4+ cards) so he knew I had at most 5 major suit cards and could count the covers.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-August-17, 13:23

South had a gun to his head and was told he would be killed if he passed, or is this a modern style of must open on any absolute garbage third seat non-vulnerable?

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-17, 15:44

View PostAL78, on 2020-August-17, 13:23, said:

South had a gun to his head and was told he would be killed if he passed, or is this a modern style of must open on any absolute garbage third seat non-vulnerable?

Have to be a silver bullet given the competitor's name :)

Easy to miss 7 here, even assuming the finesse is working, but with my luck I would be in 7 as East after South's 3 pre-empt and have J10x myself and see the first round ruffed by North when South holds a 7 card suit :(

And it just proves how difficult it is to bid big, big hands (especially balanced) opposite a near Yarborough, too. Without South's pre-empt the bidding goes 2 - 2 and then what?

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-18, 02:47

South's 3 looks OK to me. You have absolutely no defense, and it is difficult for the opponents to punish your bid at this vulnerability. Risky but tolerable, I'd say.

I would have tried some cue bids after 3 (in particular, 4) but I doubt it would have helped me reach 7. If the opponents do not preempt the auction I can systematically show a 30+ NT hand on the sequence 2-2-2-2-4NT, not discussed but by elimination stronger than 3NT (28-29). I assume partner would bid 5 (forcing, natural) over that, and if the stars line up just right I might jump to 7.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-18, 19:02

View PostAL78, on 2020-August-17, 13:23, said:

It seems to me like the main alternative to 3 here would be 1NT rather than Pass. If that comes back doubled you run to clubs. If not, the backup plan is passing after Stayman or a 2 transfer; and after a 2 transfer you just bid 3. Whether that sows enough confusion to compensate for the extra bidding space though I am not so sure but assuming a strong NT and typical defences, it might well be.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users