• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

competitive mishap

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-August-21, 14:12

Just played in the EBU six round tournament, and it was a horrible evening with a massive bias the other way. This was one of the few times we had something on our way, but screwed it up.

I'm sure there was a discussion on here recently about whether rebidding a minor at the four level is forcing or not. I thought it was, based on the principle of not pre-empting over a pre-empt, I have already shown a weak opening hand with my failure to bid the second time, and what could partner have to bid to the four level missing KQ? I raised to 5 which was the wrong thing to do. Two off after A, ruff, A, and partner missed the ruffing finesse line to ditch the club loser. 4= would have been a much better score, even leaving 3 might have given us a plus score.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-22, 02:39

It strongly depends on the situation if 4 is forcing or not. Here partner had the option of doubling first and pulling whatever you bid to 4, which is slower and therefore better. So the direct bid can be non-forcing.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-22, 03:24

The only reason for West not to bid 4 is that you know there's a misfit and you're vulnerable. Showing us all 4 hands makes it easy for me (and others) to discuss.

It would have been perhaps better to have presented the problem just with West's hand only asking a) Do you pass North's 3 bid; b) Do you bid 4; Do you bid 5; and, if you bid 4 only is that forcing or non-forcing?

To be honest, even with the vulnerability and misfit, it's so tempting to mention that 8 card suit again after partner's opened but discretion is perhaps the better part of valour.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-22, 04:27

1N-P-3N seems to get the job done :)

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-22, 06:53

I think a lot depends upon the meaning of 2 in your partnership: for us it is unconditionally game forcing, which means that one might hesitate to bid it here but also that 4 is forcing (and stronger than 5) whatever East calls.

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-22, 08:08

If 2D was a GF, then you were right to produce the most discouraging bid with this aceless hand and 3 « small » H (that happen to stop the suit thanks to partner’s Q...but too late for 3NT!).

If 2D was not GF, 4D looks like a min hand with long D’s (7 or 8-carder). KQ of trumps will be a good surprise but the rest of the hand will equally be a « bad » surprise, so passing (it was MP’s I guess) is probably safer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users