• You cannot reply to this topic

Missed game

#21 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-December-14, 06:00

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-December-14, 04:13, said:

The opener hasn't said what the system is, but I suspect it's Acol so you're playing a weak NT and 2N is 15+ GF, but you may well have opened 1N if 5233, 3 is a better hand than this and GF.

The reason game makes is that partner has nothing in hearts which is not what is going on most of the time, where do you want to be opposite for example x, KQxxx, KJxx, xxx ?

I said in my first post it was 5 card majors. My partner used to live in South Africa and didn't play Acol when learning the game, I don't think she likes playing it. The NT range is 15-17. 2/1 responses are a good 9+HCP. On this basis, if I repeat my suit after a 2/1 response, I would expect partner to find another bid with a good 10 or 11+ HCP, hence when partner passed my 2 bid, I expected her to hold a minimum 2/1. I judged at the time 2 was enough because it didn't look like the hands fit well, as it happens none of partners HCP are in her suit, so my singleton heart isn't the liability I thought it was, all her HCP are in the minors which are working well with mine. The fact she holds a doubleton spade helps as well, with a singleton opposite I am more likely to have two spade losers. When I bid 2 I knew my hand was at the upper end for that bid, so hoped partner would find another bid with anything other than a misfitting minimum.

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-14, 07:28

View PostAL78, on 2020-December-14, 06:00, said:

I said in my first post it was 5 card majors. My partner used to live in South Africa and didn't play Acol when learning the game, I don't think she likes playing it. The NT range is 15-17. 2/1 responses are a good 9+HCP. On this basis, if I repeat my suit after a 2/1 response, I would expect partner to find another bid with a good 10 or 11+ HCP, hence when partner passed my 2 bid, I expected her to hold a minimum 2/1. I judged at the time 2 was enough because it didn't look like the hands fit well, as it happens none of partners HCP are in her suit, so my singleton heart isn't the liability I thought it was, all her HCP are in the minors which are working well with mine. The fact she holds a doubleton spade helps as well, with a singleton opposite I am more likely to have two spade losers. When I bid 2 I knew my hand was at the upper end for that bid, so hoped partner would find another bid with anything other than a misfitting minimum.

OK, you have a legitimate problem, I would not GF here over a 9+ 2/1 so I believe 2 is about your only choice (I can bid 3 but only because we have 2 ways of getting there and this is NF but showing this sort of hand, not sure if I would though, is really meant for this hand with the red quacks being Q or J, 6.5 tricks rather than 6). Partner also has an issue, with that shape and point count, they should bid 3 but do you really want to rebid that heart suit ?

You need agreements here, clearly if your hand is a 2 rebid then partner has to move, if partner isn't moving on that you have to do more, both have pluses and minuses. Or maybe you agree that this hand is just difficult and nobody really did anything wrong. I think partner should bid 2N over 2 and when you bid 3, they bid 3 and you bid 4.

#23 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-December-22, 06:44

East is on the top end of a two spade bid, but West has enough to bid again.

#24 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-December-22, 10:35

As somebody who does play fairly bog-standard Acol:

(a) in answer to the OP's question, as West I would definitely make another move over 2S. With my regular partner I would expect to bid 1S - 2H - 2S - 2NT - 3NT at this vulnerability. Opposite a vulnerable first in hand opener, probably1S-2H-2S-3NT.

(b) the relative merits of a lighter 2/1 versus a stronger 2/1 are out of my pay grade, but yes sequences that involve the rebid of opener's major can cause problems in Acol.

(c ) could one of the posters advise how would this be handled using a strong 2/1 system, is West worth a FG 2H response, or does she go through 1NT?

#25 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-22, 15:25

View PostDouglas43, on 2020-December-22, 10:35, said:

As somebody who does play fairly bog-standard Acol:

(c ) could one of the posters advise how would this be handled using a strong 2/1 system, is West worth a FG 2H response, or does she go through 1NT?

Seems pretty straightforward to me... 1-2-2-4. I'd *like* to have a little more for 2, but we have a 6 card suit, so...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users