Posted 2020-December-31, 10:28

Not sure if this is beginner or intermediate, but how do you tackle this one:

W leads AQ, E following with 9 and K.

What now ?

#2 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-03, 07:40

West's most likely distribution seems to be 1-8-2-2, and that could include a singleton spade honor. I'm guessing East holds the club ace. So cash the spade ace, then play three rounds of diamonds, ruffing in dummy, then lead a spade from dummy, hoping to lose one spade, one heart, and one club.

#3 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-03, 08:07

I don't think its clear to play West for a singleton spade honour, nor for a doubleton in diamonds. With 8 diamonds and 4 clubs outstanding I think other distributions might be more likely.

Regardless, against 1=8=2=2 you have nothing to fear. You can safely cross in diamonds, finesse a spade and win any return, cash the ace of diamonds and ruff the third round in dummy for a repeat of the finesse. This line wins whenever West has a void or any singleton spade along with at least one diamond, instead of exactly singleton honour in spades. Plus it also picks up spades 2-2 with East having at least one honour, provided West doesn't get a club ruff upon winning (so clubs 2-2, East having both spade honours or some strange defensive mistake).

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-03, 08:26

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-January-03, 08:07, said:

I don't think its clear to play West for a singleton spade honour, nor for a doubleton in diamonds. With 8 diamonds and 4 clubs outstanding I think other distributions might be more likely.

Regardless, against 1=8=2=2 you have nothing to fear. You can safely cross in diamonds, finesse a spade and win any return, cash the ace of diamonds and ruff the third round in dummy for a repeat of the finesse. This line wins whenever West has a void or any singleton spade along with at least one diamond, instead of exactly singleton honour in spades. Plus it also picks up spades 2-2 with East having at least one honour, provided West doesn't get a club ruff upon winning (so clubs 2-2, East having both spade honours or some strange defensive mistake).

I agree with your assessment, but if he has a singleton in a minor and a trump then the minor suit lead looks quite likely, so 1822/0814/0832/0841/0823 look quite likely with the heart lead.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users