• You cannot reply to this topic

Shenannigans

#1 User is offline   davesayc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-10, 14:22

You Hold x xxx xxx AKJxxx
What is your lead against 3NT?

At my table my Opponent lead their and found their partner with AKQxxx Axx Jx xx taking all 13 tricks(?!) cheating (who leads a singleton against NT for crissakes)?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-10, 14:25

What was the auction?

[edit]

I think it almost certain that N/S were not cheating :) Note that a club lead is also down 9.

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-10, 14:37

The auction was 3C - P - P - 3NT. Clearly the opening leader was trying to find an entry to partner's hand to lead clubs through, so a major looks like a normal lead. Partner is likely to have more spades than hearts, so they are more likely to have the SA than the HA.

A heart lead (or a high club and a major suit switch) also leads to -9, for what it's worth.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-10, 14:53

I think he may be on to something. I'm pretty sure that if I score less than 50% on a hand opps were cheating. (Different at IMPs of course).
Fortuna Fortis Felix

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-10, 14:58

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-March-10, 14:46, said:

-450 e/w or +450 n/s 4+1 =

Just another flat board. :D

#6 User is offline   davesayc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-10, 15:00

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-March-10, 14:25, said:

What was the auction?

[edit]

I think it almost certain that N/S were not cheating :) Note that a club lead is also down 9.

Yeah, that was the hand. Fair enough. The singleton lead into such a perfect fit just burned me.

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-10, 15:02

View Postdavesayc, on 2021-March-10, 15:00, said:

Yeah, that was the hand. Fair enough. The singleton lead into such a perfect fit just burned me.

Look on the bright side - you have an amusing story. How often do you lose all the tricks after a perfectly reasonable auction to game?

#8 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-10, 15:05

I looked at hand too quick. lead can be down -13, lead can be down -13, lead can be down -13 so only lead bad for n/s so no cheating. 3 leads down -13 maximum vs. lead down -8 maximum.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-March-10, 15:09

View Postdavesayc, on 2021-March-10, 14:22, said:

You Hold x xxx xxx AKJxxx
What is your lead against 3NT?

At my table my Opponent lead their and found their partner with AKQxxx Axx Jx xx taking all 13 tricks(?!) cheating (who leads a singleton against NT for crissakes)?

You need to be very careful with this sort of post. It’s easy to find out who you played this against, if on bbo and if you use your bbo nick here.

It’s also very poor not to give the auction. Obviously if it had gone 1N 3N a spade lead would be unusual....I’d think a club lead to be almost automatic. But after 3C p p 3N, the last suit I’m leading is clubs.

And I promise you that I’d be extremely annoyed at having a public accusation of cheating made against me, especially in such a misleading manner, if I’d been one of the defenders.

I’m sure you posted more out of frustration rather than any evil intent to harm your opps. Just be careful in future.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users