Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Club (f2f) Bridge England

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-27, 13:44

Is your Club planning to resume f2f play - when?

#2 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-27, 14:45

View Posteuclidz, on 2021-March-27, 13:44, said:

May 3.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-March-27, 15:27

No plans as yet, the UK is one of the world's worst affected countries by population so there is a general feeling of caution about opening things up too quickly.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-27, 17:40

View PostAL78, on 2021-March-27, 15:27, said:

No plans as yet, the UK is one of the world's worst affected countries by population so there is a general feeling of caution about opening things up too quickly.

TBF given the age of the UK bridge playing population, particularly where I live, I suspect there are about 3 people in my local clubs that won't have had both vaccinations by early June.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 03:16

View Posteuclidz, on 2021-March-27, 13:44, said:

When permitted, but who knows when that will be. Italy is in the middle of another lockdown and vaccination is far behind UK (most players over 75 have received at least one dose).
Even when f2f does resume, it is likely there will be reduced attendance, at least at first. Which will lead to difficult decisions both about maintaining online activity and about covid passports or similar as a condition for f2f.

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-March-28, 11:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-March-27, 17:40, said:

TBF given the age of the UK bridge playing population, particularly where I live, I suspect there are about 3 people in my local clubs that won't have had both vaccinations by early June.

That is a good point, I am in my 40's so haven't received a first vaccine yet. Even with widespread vaccination, I feel my club will be slow to open and when it does, it will take time for attendance to rise to near normal, on the basis I think fear has now been hardwired into the population, and it is not clear for how long the vaccination will be effective so we might end up with seasonal peaks like flu.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 12:42

View PostAL78, on 2021-March-28, 11:03, said:

That is a good point, I am in my 40's so haven't received a first vaccine yet. Even with widespread vaccination, I feel my club will be slow to open and when it does, it will take time for attendance to rise to near normal, on the basis I think fear has now been hardwired into the population, and it is not clear for how long the vaccination will be effective so we might end up with seasonal peaks like flu.

I'm in my 50s and diabetic so had my first one right at the start of March, pretty much all my friends had had their first jabs by last week, although my bridge playing friends tend to be (just) the other side of 60 so had theirs a little before. My parents just had their second.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but the club I play at shuts down May-Aug so we'll see if they reopen as normal in September and what attendances look like if they do.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-March-28, 12:47

Club and tournament bridge is alive and well in New Zealand, we have only occasional, minimal cases of covid in the community.
Some clubs close if the country/area is at alert level 2, all clubs close if the alert level is at 3 or 4.

#9 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-28, 12:57

At the start of this current lockdown I didn't know anybody who had been vaccinated now I don't know anybody who hasn't been vaccinated (1st dose) that is amazing and something to be proud of. I wonder how different that would have been if we'd stayed in the EU?

All that said, it seems likely that we will keep cooking up new variants until whole world is vaccinated.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users