BBO Discussion Forums: Individual Tournaments that aren't "best hand" -- MORE PLEASE! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Individual Tournaments that aren't "best hand" -- MORE PLEASE!

#1 User is offline   brecherdc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 17:30

I truly enjoyed the BIC Practice rounds this weekend -- a rare Daylong that wasn't "best hand". And I thought it worked very well. Any chance we can get more like that? My usual BBO diet is primarily Daylongs and Robot Duplicates which are almost always "Best hand", but some variety would be nice.

Speaking of which -- one thing I don't like about "best hand" is that it gives you information about other hands (i.e. that no one has more HCP than you). It really affects how you bid (and play) -- if you've got a 12 count you bid a lot differently knowing that partner has at most 12 HCP as well. Or if you have 13 you know for sure that East's opener is at most 13 as well. And if you et a 10 HCP hand you know 100% that everyone else has 10 as well. It definitely changes things -- arguably it's just not real bridge. How about just having "good hand" instead? e.g. guarantee that you have at least 10 HCP but your partner could just as easily have 9 or 19.

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-29, 22:03

View Postbrecherdc, on 2021-March-29, 17:30, said:

I truly enjoyed the BIC Practice rounds this weekend -- a rare Daylong that wasn't "best hand". And I thought it worked very well. Any chance we can get more like that? My usual BBO diet is primarily Daylongs and Robot Duplicates which are almost always "Best hand", but some variety would be nice.

Speaking of which -- one thing I don't like about "best hand" is that it gives you information about other hands (i.e. that no one has more HCP than you). It really affects how you bid (and play) -- if you've got a 12 count you bid a lot differently knowing that partner has at most 12 HCP as well. Or if you have 13 you know for sure that East's opener is at most 13 as well. And if you et a 10 HCP hand you know 100% that everyone else has 10 as well. It definitely changes things -- arguably it's just not real bridge. How about just having "good hand" instead? e.g. guarantee that you have at least 10 HCP but your partner could just as easily have 9 or 19.

The Zenith daylong is what you seek!
It is now the most popular daylong on BBO.
It isn't "best hand".

Also, there is the opportunity to earn unimaginable wealth.

#3 User is offline   9NTredbl 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-30, 02:07

Yes! I can't declare worth a darn! I need some defense to have a chance! :-)

#4 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-30, 15:43

...How about just having "good hand" instead? e.g. guarantee that you have at least 10 HCP but your partner could just as easily have 9 or 19.

Or require that your P + you have the majority of the points?

#5 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-30, 17:09

Now if only the robots did not find the best blind leads and plays to make their contract exactly.

Hands never break well in some of these calculated events;
Mnnn

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-April-04, 14:11

It definitely changes things -- arguably it's just not real bridge.

Although it changes things, it's not unfair, because everyone is playing under the same conditions. So you all can take advantage of it similarly. It's just another strategy to apply.

#7 User is offline   brecherdc 

• Pip

Posted 2021-April-08, 18:10

View Postbarmar, on 2021-April-04, 14:11, said:

Although it changes things, it's not unfair, because everyone is playing under the same conditions. So you all can take advantage of it similarly. It's just another strategy to apply.

Of course, I never said it was unfair. It's just...different.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users