Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Freak hands

#1 User is offline   Bidding12 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-April-22, 14:10

May I respectfully suggest that you look into the algorithms you use on BBO.

Though I realise in a normal deal, there will be the occasional ‘freak’ hand, but BBO deals freak hands all the time. Almost every hand will have 1 or more singleton or a void and often, all 4 hands will have a different singleton. It makes a mockery of how the game should be played.

Please don’t say they are ‘random deals’ because these anomalies occur in almost every hand and that is simply not normal, or likely.

Regards.

Stuart Leveson (Bidding12)
Sent from my iPad

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-22, 14:56

View PostBidding12, on 2021-April-22, 14:10, said:

Though I realise in a normal deal, there will be the occasional ‘freak’ hand, but BBO deals freak hands all the time. Almost every hand will have 1 or more singleton or a void and often, all 4 hands will have a different singleton. It makes a mockery of how the game should be played.

Please don’t say they are ‘random deals’ because these anomalies occur in almost every hand and that is simply not normal, or likely.

Regards.

Stuart Leveson (Bidding12)
Sent from my iPad

Apparently you haven't joined the Super Platinum Club which guarantees no more than 5% bad breaks when you are declarer, and that 85% of your finesses will win. Of course, overall, the bad breaks and finesses have to even out, so non Super Platinum Club members are stuck with the bad breaks and losing finesses so that overall, everything evens out. As more members join the Super Platinum Club, non members have to get worse breaks and more losing finesses.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-April-22, 16:00

Regards.

No

You are wrong

There have been hundreds of people making the same claim.
They are also wrong.

This has been beaten to death.

Please look at any of the other myriad of threads addressing this same issue.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-22, 19:38

Have you checked the common types of hand shape?
There are only 39 possible shapes.
The probability of picking up a hand with a singleton OR a void in it is ~36% of all hand types.

On top of that, four hands are dealt. Each of the hands has a 36% chance of having a singleton, or a void.

If you want to find a place with a lot of Singletons, there's a small town in NSW called Singleton - 100% of the residents are Singletons. I've never been there.

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-April-22, 19:56

With random dealing, the probability that nobody at the table has a void or singleton is 20.63% - ie there is an 79.37% chance there is a singleton or void somewhere.

Looking at MyHands, you have played 278 hands over the last month.

A 95% confidence interval would therefore be [207,233] for hands with at least one singleton / void.

You had 225 hands of the 278 containing a singleton / void. Just what you'd expect.

You said 'often' everyone at the table has a singleton or void. This was only true for 7 of your 278 deals. Not sure how this is 'often', but this also lies within the expected confidence interval.

In other words:

They're random deals, and what you're seeing is normal and likely, with your own hands proving you wrong. Whatever you're basing your opinion on, it's not the facts!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users